1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

50+ thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CVYota, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Glad I'm not the only one... :cool:

Just not one the doc wants to see :(

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Many of us 50+ folks alsopost in the 60+ thread. It is consistently active when this one sputters and falls off the screen at times.

Still riding that mower 4 to 5 hours each weekend - and that seems to keep me from getting my Canondale out with any regularity.

The other things keeping me busy is collecting and shooting MILSURP weapons -mostly WWII vintage. My current project is restoring a 1942 Soviet Mosin Nagant M91/30 ex-sniper to it's original sniper configuration. Just finally found a correct sight rail - once it arrives, the rifle will go off to the gunsmith to retap the mount holes, install the guide pins, inlet the stock and convert the bolt to the bent configuration.

While it's gone, I've got the wood to build a shooting bench for my small range.

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    CVYota

CVYota [OP] Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    The only time I fall due to the clips, is at low speeds. Always in front of people.

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I sputter and fall off the screen ??

I better have that looked at............:(

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Cool, scored a 1931 with matching numbers and hex receiver. Not a sniper version and has post war stock from armory refurb. going to score period stock for it. it's a tula. got the tin of 440 rounds of the dirty stuff but will most likely not bust it open and just get fresh rounds without the corrosive primers. came with bayonet, oiling can, tool bag and belt thing to carry ammo and tools. have had it apart to clean it but haven't shot it yet.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:55 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Is anyone really making non-corrossive 7.62X54r? Even the new stuff uses corrossive primers. Really, don't sweat it. The rifle you have fired it for years...maybe decades.

I take a bottle of Hoppe's #9 with me when I shoot. After firing, I just pour some through the chamber and let it run down the barrel. When I get home, I strip the rifle down and run hot water down the barrel, clean it normally with Hoppe's #9 and then run a patch with oil down the barrel and wipe it on the bore and chamber. Do the same with the bolt face. Then, I clean it again the next day. Some people use a mix of water and Windex but I've found that water is OK when used with the Hoppe's.

This is my group of Soviet rifles.

[​IMG]

From top to bottom:

1944 Izhevsk M44
    1925 Tula Hex Receiver
    1936 Izhevsk
    1942 Tula
    1937 Izhevsk repro sniper
    1942 Izhevsk ex-sniper (my restoration project)
    1944 Finnish M39 built off an 1895 Russian-contract French made hex receiver

The 91/30s are plentiful and relatively inexpensive with lots of variations and markings that make them fun to collect and shoot.

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Nice collection. I just ran accross some thread about them and had to go out and score one. Had a crate of 1931 - 1936s to pick one out of. I thought the stuff from Cabella's didn't have the corrosive primer's from what I had read somewhere but as you stated, just clean the thing after shooting it and it won't be a problem. I have a nice range close by and a coupla buddies have land an hr or 2 in different places so I have some good places to go try it out. May just hold on the the tin of ammo tho just for the coolness factor. I actually thought I was gonna use the action & rebuild it into something else with that black synthetic Monte Carlo stock and black shoulder strap & scout scope but I'm just not sure about that. I ended up putting it back together like I got it. Maybe I'll do that to a cheaper non-matching number one..........

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    CVYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    Those are nice looking rifles. Makes me wonder, when you talk about all the care you take after shooting, what did the Russians do in the field in the middle of the western front?

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    They carried a two-part bottle with cleaning solvent in one side and oil in the other. They would pour some solvent down the barrel, run a cloth patch through it using the rod attached to the rifle and the run a patch through with oil on it.

As long as they did that, the barrel was OK, If not, the salt-based residue would hold moisture in the air and rust would form. That's the problem with the corrossive powders and primers.

10. Jul 15, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Good morning.
    Hi heat index the past 2 days. Unhealthy air mass over us right now. 94 yesterday with hi humidity. Detailed the truck while the sweat was pouring off me. Even washed the widows. Had to keep switching wax rags because they we're getting wet from my sweat. Started building a steering column mount for my Ultragauge. Son is coming over today and going to do the brakes on his Rav.
    They said rain today and that's not surprising since I washed the truck. Time for coffee and some asprin.

11. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Always rain the day after a good detailing! Cooking chicken on the outdoor rotiserie today, probably in the rain.

12. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:05 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Morning Dave
    We're going to have something on the grill too. Not sure what but cooking indoors will not happen today. Hehehe

Might work on the mount a little more before the boy gets here. Then again maybe not ...

13. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

You all make me realize how lazy I am

14. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    ROFLMAO.

15. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    subwayaz

subwayaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson,Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Accesscab; TRD
    Super Charger, Catback Exhaust,Side Wind Shades, & Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Everytime I see this thread I have to make a comment to keep it up and reach able. Once it's gone it's just that gone.
    Glad to see everyone still having fun with there Tacomas. Mine is getting 15.6mpg after three fill ups

16. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    That will improve a few mpg's after some break in. Congrats on your new toy.

17. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Just found this 50's section--Have seen the 60's,but never read.
    55yo ready to turn 40 again.
    Older and smarter-at least I think so--who gives a shit what others think!
    Now you know I am 50+

18. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Better sub to this cause we are so busy doing stuff that it gets silent sometimes.
    Not going to comment on the 60's thread as I have found my way in there on occasion. Don't want to rush things...

19. Jul 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Done-Subbed

20. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    CVYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Just got back from a 3 day backpack in the Sierras, near Whitney. hiked about 20 miles camped at 11,000 feet, damn it's beautiful up there.
    caught some nice golden trout

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top