1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anyone here have an akita?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gixxer, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aug 29, 2011 at 12:58 AM
    Gixxer

Gixxer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Florida
    I've had dogs before, and I know a lot about them. I consider myself an experienced dog owner. I've researched many dog breeds to find out what dog breed I'd like to own once I move out of this townhome, and I actually really love the Akita. It looks like such a beautiful breed, and it's temperment seems the like the kind I like in a dog. I've researched, but there is nothing like real life experience. Can anyone tell me what to watch for/the pros/the cons of owning an Akita? It would be muchly appreciated.

2. Aug 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM
    TheGloryFades

TheGloryFades Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
    We have had Akita's my entire life up until recently. They're incredibly intelligent dogs who are very loyal. They are very animal aggressive none of our females got along neither did the males. They're work dogs so they need lots of exercise. They're good single dogs but generally not good multi animal household dogs. Obviously there are exceptions but having been around these dogs my entire life thats my take on them.

3. Aug 29, 2011 at 1:43 AM
    jobrien

jobrien shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    x2 we got one and it only likes the german sheppard it was raised with. He was very aggressive with his own kids

4. Aug 29, 2011 at 2:15 AM
    Gixxer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Florida
    how bad was the shedding?

5. Aug 29, 2011 at 2:26 AM
    TheGloryFades

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
    All depends on how often they're brushed, spring is the worste time because they shed they're winter coat. If you brush them regularly its not terrible but it is noticeable for sure

6. Aug 29, 2011 at 2:29 AM
    Gixxer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Florida
    Living in AZ i'm sure your akitas were indoor dogs right?

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    Gixxer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Florida
  8. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    TheGloryFades

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
    We had them indoors and out but when outside they had air-conditoned dog houses

9. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    we have had 2 akitas, great great dogs. i love them, ours did great with other dogs/cats.

maybe cause they were never raised alone? even with a new dog or cat they both did fine.

the shedding is pretty darn bad. both of ours were female.

our first one was 13 years old, had to put her down... out last one we just got, she was still a pup, had her for about a week or so, found out she had no joints in her front left arm, no joints in the shoulder elbow ETC, we could afford surgery so we had to take her back.... great puppy. they learn very fast. potty trained in less than a week

10. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    My neighbor raised Akitas. They are extremely protective and loyal. And they find ways to get out out of the fencing. At least a couple of times a week those dogs would all get out and go around the neighborhood terrorizing the dogs the others had by harassing them through the gates.

And aggressive. One day my kitten got out of the house because my son (5 at the time) opened the door to get the paper and didn't see the kitten come out. Those dogs (3 of them) came upon that kitten. I heard the dogs attacking. I ran out as my son came running back into the house to me. They were all over her and the sound was horrible. This happened front of me and my son. I scooted him away from the window and I went out to try to save my kitten but soon found out that I couldn't as one dog ran off with one part of her and the other dog had what was left. My son was horrified. They literally tore her in half.

Lucky it wasn't my kid.

11. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    I have a 9yr old male named Max. They are very smart and he loves woman! He has actually figured out how to open doors when there was a girl taking a shower! Hes done that 3 times! The shedding is terrible but otherwise i would say the Akita is the perfect dog. He gets along great with my 2 other Boxers, both female which I believe makes a difference.

12. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    Here is Max with my Boxer, Zoey. Max is 110lbs!
    DSCN0187_62f79c2cb35c87a089cd0fd36689836e4b250801.jpg

13. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    ^ ^ That is a great picture.

My buddy had an Akita growing up - loyal, friendly, barked loud/mean enough to scare the piss out of anybody on the other side of the door...great dogs from what I could tell.

Fink

14. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Gixxer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Florida
    I hear the furminator brush really cuts down on the shedding.

15. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd rethink the Akita living in FL, they're cold weather dogs... They are very very stubborn dogs and require a lot of attention. Get a harness for them and hook it up to a tire for them to drag around the yard.

16. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    Here is another pic of Max.
    Max_fc6dfed260a2d06ad27fbe20e9458e56789bb8b1.jpg

I've talked a few people out of getting Akitas. It takes a very diciplined owner to properly raise an Akita as it does with many other big, aggresive, dominate dogs. The Akita HAS to know that you are the Alpha or it will assume the role. Once thats established it will be a great relationship. Akitas will love you to the very end and if you die before he does he'll probably go shortly after.
    BTW the "Furminator" is a great tool. Akitas are also very vocal dogs, I dont mean by barking but it sounds like they are trying to talk! Mine sounds like Chewbacca all the time. Max has had some health problems in the last year and I'm afraid he wont be around much longer, I will be devastated to say the least.

17. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I've talked a few people out of getting Akitas. It takes a very diciplined owner to properly raise an Akita as it does with many other big, aggresive, dominate dogs. The Akita HAS to know that you are the Alpha or it will assume the role. Once thats established it will be a great relationship. Akitas will love you to the very end and if you die before he does he'll probably go shortly after.
    BTW the "Furminator" is a great tool. Akitas are also very vocal dogs, I dont mean by barking but it sounds like they are trying to talk! Mine sounds like Chewbacca all the time. Max has had some health problems in the last year and I'm afraid he wont be around much longer, I will be devastated to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Nothing more loyal than a good dog.

18. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    This is a bread I have had interest in however I believe they are too large and shed too much for my liking. But I am still in awe of the breed. I have a thing for dogs that know what they are. There are a few here in southern Louisiana and I feel their coats are too much for this weather. We are very hot and humid here it turns that coat into a mess even with much attention paid to the coat the dog just can't enjoy itself. This is a breed I put in a class with the APBT, one of many breeds that not everyone should own. This dog in the wrong hands could potentially do more harm to the breed than good.
    Like the story above about the dogs tearing up the kitten. The public sees that as bad however its natural. Only a bad situation if the dogs were out of their yards, however if the kitten got out and made it to their area then its just a lesson learned.

19. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd

The kitten was on my porch with my son who was getting the paper, the front door was still open too. The dogs were across the street and they came charging over. They must have heard the click of the door when my son opened it.

20. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

eh we live in arizona and have had 2, they do fine as long as they arent outside 24/7

Products Discussed in

To Top