Notices

Exotic Animals on the Loose in Ohio

Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #61
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
there is only 1 baboon left i dont think it would be worth the gas to get up there.. i wish i got one of the lions or tigers i would have taken it and got it stuffed it would have gone nicely by my deer heads
yea and it is likely carrying Hepatitis B...you could be doing Ohio a service
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
x10000000 just proves how retarded some things are handled here... There is the Columbus Zoo and hour and a half away... They have the proper equipment to handle things like this.

Zanesville has only 25k people so yeah, fairly small town... but, a major zoo is an hour and a half away that has stuff that can handle crap like this... piss poor decision making in my opinion.
keep in mind columbus zoo officials including jack hanna and numerous veterinarians were on site....all were in favor of the putting down of the animals citing numerous reasons. they attempted to tranq. some animals one particular tiger was tranq. with a dart gun and once the dart hit it charged forcing the hand of the LE to shoot it. There was no good that could have come from this either way. It would have been much easier of the dude left them in the cages and killed himself..but he had one final F-U to the cops and that was that
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #63
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
I find it interesting that it appears little attempt was made to capture the animal. Instead like previously mentioned gun totting cops whom have never been on a game hunt, are using assault weapons to track em down. Honestly, how dangerous are these animals? Ive seen videos of all of these animals under some sort of anesthesia, so why must they be killed?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #64
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
I think the effort could have been made to tranq them. If the cops could approach close enough to kill a large animal like that with a handgun, why couldn't a tranq at least be tried? Worst case scenario, the animal would charge and be shot but at least he'd have a chance.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #65
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79I0U720111020
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #66
DevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Police officer in MD and Marine in B Co 4th LAR Bn
DevilDogTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know any police departments where the officers are issued tranquilizers.....we don't have them in my police department. I think the individual officers on the streets there are making the best decisions they can make in a crappy situation like that.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #67
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogTacoma View Post
I don't know any police departments where the officers are issued tranquilizers.....we don't have them in my police department. I think the individual officers on the streets there are making the best decisions they can make in a crappy situation like that.
I wasn't suggesting that the police department be the ones who take the animals down. I think that it should be up to local wildlife departments, but that's just me... There may not be the kind of support for those kinds of things in other states as there is here in MT. The officers should be in town, and engaging animals if they are posing a threat to public safety, which they very well may be at this point. I don't know the details though, and likely won't. What I have read up to this point though makes it sound like they are just going out to the animals, wherever they are, and shooting them as if there was no other option. And I agree with you when you say that the officers are making the best they can out of a shit deal situation.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #68
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This was 5 miles from my house needless to say my buddy and I went road hunting on Thursday Night. Didnt get anything though. It is sad that law enforcement had to put all the animals down. However, better animals then small children l.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #69
FASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to all
Name: Gregg
FASTK's Tacoma Gallery
Rollin,

I respect your desire to protect those animals and my first reaction to the news was that the sheriff over-reacted. Then I got the facts.

Nightfall was only an hour and 15 minutes away.
This area is tough to drive to, as I mountain bike this area and drive from Columbus, so I can relate first hand. It's a 90 minute drive. Pushing 75-80 the whole way.

This guys land abuts the AEP Recreational Land; which is 12,000 acres of reclaimed strip mining land. It is tough mountain biking. Those 18 Bengal tigers would have hid in that thick brush for weeks, easily. Family farms surround this land, so lots of people and community at risk here.

Jack Hanna Columbus Zoo curator, explained that a tranquilizer dart is an iffy proposition at best. His good friend (a veterinarian) was killed while trying to tranquilize a lion. Jack says killing them was the only option.

I have new respect for the sheriff and the tough call he made, even more so as he takes uniformed criticism from the public.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #70
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Right obviously the cops wouldn't. But I saw that Jack Hannah was there helping; you know a zoo of that size has a good amount of tranquilizers. But I digress, it's over now. Let's hope laws are changed to prevent atrocities like this from happening in the future.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #71
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
" Jack Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo, told the news conference Lutz and his deputies did the right thing.
"These are dangerous animals," Hanna said. "If you had 18 Bengal tigers running around these neighborhoods, you wouldn't have wanted to see what would have happened." "

Non-indigenous animals = Problems. Their all cute till one eats your kid/wife ..ect. You think their cute...They think your dinner!

Read up on Feral Hogs in the Southern states or Burmese pythons in the Florida and the problems that they create. This ass-hat should have NEVER been able to have them in the first place.

If I want to see a Tiger, Mountian Lion, Grizzly Bear or a Baboon I'll watch the NatGo chanel. I do not want to find one in my yard when I am taking the trash out.

It's too bad but...Anyone got some BBQ Sauce?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #72
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
I think the effort could have been made to tranq them. If the cops could approach close enough to kill a large animal like that with a handgun, why couldn't a tranq at least be tried? Worst case scenario, the animal would charge and be shot but at least he'd have a chance.

What kind of handgun kills a 600 lb Tiger? I have been to a shit load of gun shops and I have many many friends with guns but I have never, never ever seen a tranq rifle in my life. I REALLY don't think that they are readily available.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8awe View Post
What kind of handgun kills a 600 lb Tiger? I have been to a shit load of gun shops and I have many many friends with guns but I have never, never ever seen a tranq rifle in my life. I REALLY don't think that they are readily available.
heard 1st responders had to shoot lions at the entrance of the property with their duty weapons
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #74

That^^

You must've watched that new show on A&E about hogs that debuted last night, lol. I don't have to read up on it as I live in the south.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #75
Quote:
That^^

You must've watched that new show on A&E about hogs that debuted last night, lol. I don't have to read up on it as I live in the south.
i know all to well the wild hog problem (biology major)...but you lost me at what youre trying to get at
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #76
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That^^

Nope.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaniels View Post
i know all to well the wild hog problem (biology major)...but you lost me at what youre trying to get at
Not getting at anything...I was watching Storage Wars on A&E and saw a new show was coming on last night. Here's a shot:

Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #78
Quote:
Not getting at anything...I was watching Storage Wars on A&E and saw a new show was coming on last night. Here's a shot:

NICE!!! that looks like it would be a decent show...I would rather have discovery/history channel do it but see how it is
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #79
DevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Police officer in MD and Marine in B Co 4th LAR Bn
DevilDogTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just heard on the news today that the animals who were captured peacefully are going to be returned to the dead owner's wife. I don't understand how anyone can think that's a good idea.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #80
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
If they belong to her they can't legally put them anywhere else, can they? Unless it has been shown that they were abused. Didn't reports say that he pretty much took care of them?