Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Exotic Animals on the Loose in Ohio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
haddix [OP] haddix is offline
Senior Member
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough
 
haddix's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2011, #61865
Location: KY
Gender: Male
Posts: 626
haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Exotic Animals on the Loose in Ohio

Anyone see this? Pretty damn crazy. Anyone live around there?
http://www.foxnews.com/us...r-park-owner-found-dead/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
2008taco's Avatar
Name: chris
Joined: Mar 2011, #52323
Location: san diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,926
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
thats crazy. Sucks they're just killin the animals though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I just read about it. I'm sure public safety is a concern but going on a night-time shooting spree is fucking stupid imo. 35 animals already killed. Stuff like this just makes me want to give up entirely on the human race.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2010, #47036
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,703
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Lions and tigers and bears oh my!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DanglingFury's Avatar
Name: Keith
Joined: Sep 2010, #43614
Location: Lima, OH/Lake Cumberland, Kentucky
Age: 10
Gender: Tranny
Posts: 3,833
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Mar 2011, #53308
Location: South Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Im assuming the reason for the dispatching the animals specifically the big cats is a safety concern being that it would be entirely too dangerous to humanely capture the big cats and wolves. The camels and giraffes might fall into the danger category with them being too large to handle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
They tranquilize them to move them all the time...they said it couldn't be done at night because the animals were aggressive. I doubt the cops made the situation any better by going in the woods after them with assault rifles and spotlights. Just my thoughts on it, but I'm sick of animals being exterminated because they pose a threat to humans.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Junior Member
kwazy6 is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
Joined: Oct 2011, #65461
Location: ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
kwazy6's Tacoma Gallery
yea i seen it on the news last night and now at work everyone is talking about it.


i live in the cincy area
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Mar 2011, #53308
Location: South Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
They tranquilize them to move them all the time...they said it couldn't be done at night because the animals were aggressive. I doubt the cops made the situation any better by going in the woods after them with assault rifles and spotlights. Just my thoughts on it, but I'm sick of animals being exterminated because they pose a threat to humans.
I see your point. Honestly I feel that if attempts can be made to save lives (animals) then it should be done. It could also depend on if there are preserves, zoos or sanctuaries that could take the animals in. There are a lot of other factors in play as well. If there was any inbreeding, it is not very likely that some place would be willing to take in the animals especially the big cats. Also considering the urgency of the matter...who knows what options were available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
memario1214's Avatar
Name: Colton
Joined: Oct 2009, #23628
Location: MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,919
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
The killing spree is unwarranted IMO. These animals aren't out on the hunt. I think the problem right now is that the people there are just not accustomed to animals of this size and are simply afraid. The animals are being killed out of fear. I feel as though these animals should at very least be captured and taken somewhere suitable for them to live. They really haven't done anything wrong at this point...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaniels View Post
I see your point. Honestly I feel that if attempts can be made to save lives (animals) then it should be done. It could also depend on if there are preserves, zoos or sanctuaries that could take the animals in. There are a lot of other factors in play as well. If there was any inbreeding, it is not very likely that some place would be willing to take in the animals especially the big cats. Also considering the urgency of the matter...who knows what options were available.
Yea it's easy for me to preach about it when I don't know all the circumstances, but it seems such a waste to kill animals who are already dwindling in numbers. The real truth is that the animals never should have been allowed in the possession of the man who shot himself and released them. There's no valid reason for a person to house that many exotic animals...

He's lucky he offed himself...I'm sure there are quite a few who would have done a lot worse to him
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
The killing spree is unwarranted IMO. These animals aren't out on the hunt. I think the problem right now is that the people there are just not accustomed to animals of this size and are simply afraid. The animals are being killed out of fear. I feel as though these animals should at very least be captured and taken somewhere suitable for them to live. They really haven't done anything wrong at this point...
Fear or because the cops finally get a chance to use their shiny ARs the county bought them...just some good ol' boys imagining they're on a trophy safari hunt. I can see it happening
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Mar 2011, #53308
Location: South Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
Yea it's easy for me to preach about it when I don't know all the circumstances, but it seems such a waste to kill animals who are already dwindling in numbers. The real truth is that the animals never should have been allowed in the possession of the man who shot himself and released them. There's no valid reason for a person to house that many exotic animals...

He's lucky he offed himself...I'm sure there are quite a few who would have done a lot worse to him
Indeed...according to the article he only had permits for 4 bears and he had no exotic permits..Im pretty sure Nat Geo did a special on people like him and he was a feature in the story because of his constant legal troubles regarding the lack of permits. This falls under the "just because you think you can doesnt mean that you should" category.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
memario1214's Avatar
Name: Colton
Joined: Oct 2009, #23628
Location: MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,919
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
Fear or because the cops finally get a chance to use their shiny ARs the county bought them...just some good ol' boys imagining they're on a trophy safari hunt. I can see it happening
Maybe, there's no real way to know... I mean, we have our own problems with wolves up here, but that is a completely different argument. I agree with your idea though that they are killing animals that are already dwindling in numbers. I just can't seem to wrap my head around why FWP (or whatever it's called there) couldn't come in and tranquilize these animals. I mean, sure, hey are a hazard to public safety, but if anyone knew how animals really work would realize that they are not currently on the prowl. Fear designates their movements. I see attacks maybe coming in a few days due to hunger, but a lot can be done to contain them in that time. Any attacks in the next day or so will likely come from a person/people scaring the animal, backing it into a corner, etc. These are animals that have been fed by humans and are accustomed to that
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Mar 2011, #53308
Location: South Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Maybe, there's no real way to know... I mean, we have our own problems with wolves up here, but that is a completely different argument. I agree with your idea though that they are killing animals that are already dwindling in numbers. I just can't seem to wrap my head around why FWP (or whatever it's called there) couldn't come in and tranquilize these animals. I mean, sure, hey are a hazard to public safety, but if anyone knew how animals really work would realize that they are not currently on the prowl. Fear designates their movements. I see attacks maybe coming in a few days due to hunger, but a lot can be done to contain them in that time. Any attacks in the next day or so will likely come from a person/people scaring the animal, backing it into a corner, etc. These are animals that have been fed by humans and are accustomed to that
how about that wolf hunt...? is it back on or did the animal rights people get it shut down?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Maybe, there's no real way to know... I mean, we have our own problems with wolves up here, but that is a completely different argument. I agree with your idea though that they are killing animals that are already dwindling in numbers. I just can't seem to wrap my head around why FWP (or whatever it's called there) couldn't come in and tranquilize these animals. I mean, sure, hey are a hazard to public safety, but if anyone knew how animals really work would realize that they are not currently on the prowl. Fear designates their movements. I see attacks maybe coming in a few days due to hunger, but a lot can be done to contain them in that time. Any attacks in the next day or so will likely come from a person/people scaring the animal, backing it into a corner, etc. These are animals that have been fed by humans and are accustomed to that
Yea on one of the news stations this morning they had a guy from Nat Geo talking about the incident...he basically stated the same thing you did. The animals are afraid and in an unnatural environment so they're all likely to just be bunkered down somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
Senior Member
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Mar 2011, #53308
Location: South Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
Yea on one of the news stations this morning they had a guy from Nat Geo talking about the incident...he basically stated the same thing you did. The animals are afraid and in an unnatural environment so they're all likely to just be bunkered down somewhere.
Interesting enough...when Pablo Escobar was taken down...he had a compound with many animals including 4 hippos. Anyway...the 4 hippos were let loose for some unknown reason and in 20 years time those 4 hippos turned into 200 and have become a real problem in Columbia...maybe Ohio gov't didnt want this type of scenario to happen. I would hate to be the person in charge an coordinating all of this..looks like its a no-win situation all the way around
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
memario1214's Avatar
Name: Colton
Joined: Oct 2009, #23628
Location: MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,919
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaniels View Post
how about that wolf hunt...? is it back on or did the animal rights people get it shut down?
It is back on, though in limited quantities in limited locations. I believe there have been 11 harvested since the season opened this year at the beginning of Sept. That's the unwinnable argument though. People who have to deal with them, hate them. Those who have no contact with them, love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaniels View Post
Interesting enough...when Pablo Escobar was taken down...he had a compound with many animals including 4 hippos. Anyway...the 4 hippos were let loose for some unknown reason and in 20 years time those 4 hippos turned into 200 and have become a real problem in Columbia...maybe Ohio gov't didnt want this type of scenario to happen. I would hate to be the person in charge an coordinating all of this..looks like its a no-win situation all the way around
That's slightly different though. Those hippos were intentionally just let loose to do whatever the hell they wanted, whether that be die, breed, or anything else (similar to our wolf issue). No one planned out how fast animals spread out when they have nothing to curb their growth. This case is different. I do not suggest that we let these animals go free, as our American way of life would not mesh well at all with theirs. I don't think that killing them is necessary though. If you are getting close enough to where you can fire upon them with assault rifles, you most certainly are close enough to peg them with a tranquilizer dart or 2. Some zoo will gladly take these animals for free and tend to them. That's all I am saying
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Taken from a news site:

Lutz said his office started getting phone calls at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday that wild animals were loose just west of Zanesville on a road that runs under Interstate 70.
He said four deputies with assault rifles in a pickup truck went to the animal farm, where they found the owner Thompson dead and all the animal cage doors open.
He wouldn't say how Thompson died but said several aggressive animals were near his body when deputies arrived and had to be shot.
The deputies, who saw many other animals standing outside their cages and others that had escaped past the fencing surrounding the property, began shooting them on sight.
"He was in hot water because of the animals, because of permits, and (the animals) escaping all the time," White said. A few weeks ago, she said, she had to avoid some camels which were grazing on the side of a freeway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rollin904's Avatar
Name: TJ
Joined: Apr 2011, #54724
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Douchebag could have easily called in staff from the zoo but chose to eradicate them to save his own ass.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have exotic pets? TeamSarcasm Pets 46 07-14-2014 05:20 PM
If you could have any exotic car what would it be? 04LTtacoma Off-Topic Discussion 32 10-24-2010 08:17 AM
Help Animals in Need With a Click! Bassetdad Off-Topic Discussion 10 05-31-2009 08:36 AM
Help Animals in Need Bassetdad Off-Topic Discussion 9 03-27-2009 05:47 PM
New Breed of Exotic Cat Retails for $22,000 GTiVR6r Sports, Hobbies & Interests 20 01-31-2008 02:45 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.