I was financially stable. Nothing was affected. 19 39.58%
I cut back non essentials. 27 56.25%
I removed non essentials. 5 10.42%
I got credit cards like crazy. 3 6.25%
I sold my truck :-( OMGWTFBBQ 1 2.08%
I got a second job. 4 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Smile So you had a baby.. POLL

I am just wondering the statistics of how people's lives have changed after having a child. My wife and I both make decent for our area. We are not in a high tax range, but we are able to buy the things we want. House, 2 newer vehicles, etc. However, we are being blessed with a little one come June. I have been crunching numbers and we will have around $1000 extra a month for the little one come June unless I am not figuring out finances right. From what I've heard, $1000 is about what more it cost a month to have a child. So we'd be living check to check?

There are a few things we can disconnect. DirecTV is $100, Verizon is $100, and the internet is $65. Verizon can be dropped to $50. I can use the internet from the neighbors and OTA is free. Basically this would take all of our entertainment to a minimum.

Am I overreacting or do I need to cut more corners?

Just throwing up a poll to see how others are affected. You can post other.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just speculating as I don't have a kid...but how the hell does a baby cost more than $1k a month?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
It's time more so than money with a baby. Make sure your wife nurses too because formula is expensive.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
I'm just speculating as I don't have a kid...but how the hell does a baby cost more than $1k a month?
Insurance alone will be an additional $200 a month regardless if it's hers or mine.

Doctor visits, day care, etc. I believe the going rate for day care is $125 a week around these woods. I am trying to get my sister to do it for us since she only works 2 days a week. I am really trying to plan ahead.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
Insurance alone will be an additional $200 a month regardless if it's hers or mine.

Doctor visits, day care, etc. I believe the going rate for day care is $125 a week around these woods. I am trying to get my sister to do it for us since she only works 2 days a week. I am really trying to plan ahead.
Right on...factoring medical and day care, you probably are correct. Thanks for helping me make up my mind not to have kids!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
formula is deff expensive and not as good for the baby, plus nursing is proven to help her loose weight, so free, healthy, and a weight loss accelerator...win in my book.

deff recruit the sister, offer to pay her, less than daycare of course, plus you know where your baby is going and that he or she is in good hands, you never know with daycares... but babies are expensive im not sure the exact cost as i dont have one myself but i have 3 younger sisters
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poll
I cut back non essentials.
This is what I voted for - and it's easy to cut back on non essentials since you won't be going out as much!

On the other side, it sucks having some "friends" who don't understand what having a baby means (getting calls at 10pm on Thurs/Friday/Saturday asking if I want to go out) - our daughter is one.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i'll let you know in about 2 weeks. we have our first on the way. I am cutting out cable and going with ATT Uverse because it will save us about $90 a month for 6 months, then about $40 overall. other than that i dont plan on many changes but we'll see how things go.

my wife and I both make decent money too, but we have been planning for 2 years to have this kid and decided we would wait to start trying until we had our savings account up to one of our's salary (for 1 year) that way if she or I couldnt work for any reason we would have the same amount of money we are used to for that first year, plus disability, FMLA. Both of our cars have been paid off for 2 years. my advice is SAVE NOW dont wait til the kid is born.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Formula & diapers add up the $$ quickly.....I have 3 boys & a girl. But with one baby, the money won't be the real issue, the way your lifestyle is gonna change will be the biggest adjustment.....you're in for the ride of a lifetime. Congrats by the way!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
It'll almost equal out.

You will have ZERO time for tv so you can cut your subs and not even be bothered.
You will drink very little alcohol because after one beer you'll be sleeping
Food ? for the baby but not for you. You wont have time to eat much and if you do you wont eat alot because it'll make you tired
You wont go out unless its to buy diapers, go to the pediatrician, or walgreens - so no long bar tabs there
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
First of all, congrats!

I have a three and half month old (first child) - I'd classify our income as probably the same as yours based on what your post states - we have a decent mortgage, only 1 car payment. Good insurance. Some fun money.

That said, i just wrote the checks for the birth. Without getting too exact, we're right about $2,500 out for it. We also had about $8k in savings prior to her taking maternity leave. When all was said and done, by the time she went back to work we were down to the last couple thousand $ in the savings. But we also spent about $2k of the 8k on house projects that couldn't wait until winter and while we 'tried' to be frugal, we didn't really live as cheaply as we could have.

The Missus breastfed/pumped for the first two months or so and we now mix 2:1 with formula so we were going through a can of it (Nutramigen - The expensive shit) a week or so. This saved us a ton of money in the beginning.

Now the wife is back at work Tuesday and Wednesday for 11 hour shifts and her mom is watching Charlie until i get home around 5. Then it's just me and him until around 9. And on Saturday, her other long shift, i watch him all day.

We're pretty lucky her shifts are awesome and we have her family close by and are able to use them for child care, around here (Minneapolis, MN) daycare is about $1300/month for 5-days a week. Which is absolutely crazy.

Now on to the advice:

If everything's going well, have your wife breastfeed as long as possible. It saves you tons of money and is nutritionally far better during the first few months than formula could ever be. Read up on this stuff.

Disconnect your DTV service , keep your internet, and keep an eye on your cell bills.

If you have a flat panel TV (who doesn't?) buy or build up a computer (Can be done for ~$400) to hook up to it and stream everything you could ever want off the internet with services like Netflix Streaming or Hulu all in glorious HD. Sure you may not be seeing the show's Live and may need to wait a few days to see them, but when you're sitting on the couch feeding the baby for 30 minutes, you won't care. Sure it's a chunk of cash up front, but it will pay for itself in 4-5 months of not having DTV.

Do as much home and vehicle work as you can before the baby comes!
I really thought i'd have more time to work on the house (finish those projects i started...) and the truck, and my motorcycles, and prep the house for winter etc... but you just don't. And the odd thing is, you'll find yourself wanting to spend time with the kid instead of working on things that need to be done and/or were fun.

Don't buy any new baby clothes unless they are on clearance. The first 3 months, they'll only wear the outfits a couple of times before they don't fit. Also, hit up neighbors and friends for their old baby cloths, we got boxes full for free!

I think i could go on and on... but this is getting lengthy.

TL;DR - Cut your TV, have $7-10k minimum in savings before baby arrives, be ready for the hospital bill to arrive and you'll be just fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
ok so I didnt have a baby but I have one on the way come march. If anything it has really really accelerated the rate at which I am paying off my truck. I was paying more before now I am paying way way more to get it payed off.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
tacundra is on a distinguished road
tacundra's Tacoma Gallery
I have two and pay about $1000 / month for day care. That is the cheapest around here. Add in food and diaps...easy $1500 mnth.

Not sure how we did it without cutting back too much. Once you get into the groove, it just becomes normal.

While Daycare is expensive, you get your money's worth at the right place. Just sucks knowing I could have a new Twin engine Fountain center console for the same payment, lol
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
We didnt really change much after having our baby. We just became more aware of our spending.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
very interesting read, thanks everyone
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it is a change, This is why it is a big decision. What to cut out? Depends on what you can afford. This is not a 'just for the moment' decision, you need to start putting away for the future also. My kid is 13 now and clothes, food, summer camps, vacations, hobbies (thank God for the Boy Scouts) sports, College are all ahead of you. I still enjoy every hobby I had before, just takes longer to save up, and I don't miss the every Friday-Sunday drunk-a-thons ( that saved me a lot of money). My wife and I both work, so preschool and after school are a TON of money for the first 12 years, close to $1000 a month for the ones we went to (enlist relatives if you can, we couldn't), now it is about 50 a week. The payback is indescribable, and when I think that in 5 years he will be most likely be out of the house, It makes me very sad. It goes by really fast.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right on...factoring medical and day care, you probably are correct. Thanks for helping me make up my mind not to have kids!
Yeah. the wife and I aren't having kids either because of the costs. Not that we can't afford it, but because we are selfish and like spending our money on ourselves.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
Yeah. the wife and I aren't having kids either because of the costs. Not that we can't afford it, but because we are selfish and like spending our money on ourselves.
Nothing wrong with that, we changed our minds at 37. Our plan was to save up a ton of money, retire early, and travel. But our feelings changed, no regrets either way.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Diapers, food, doctors appointments for check ups, clothes n clothes clothes n clothes...they don't stay the same size you know lol (I don't even have kids and I know what the "basic" needs of a baby are) lol

As for the OP, congrats and you should be cool if you cut a bit of costs with some stuff...people I know don't really have $$$ issues or anything when they starting haven't kids.