1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm selling my truck and I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 99PreRunner., Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    99PreRunner.

99PreRunner. [OP] ^ I no longer have a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    2008 GMC 3500 Duramax 4x4 - CCLB
    There is a guy I have been talking to that's from North Carolina, about buying my truck. I talked to him about 30 minutes over the phone. We have agreed on a price and he is sending me the money tomorrow. But the question I have is, he's not picking it up, I guess a trucking company or something like that is. They are going to pick it up next week. Has anybody ever done anything like that? He asked about doing it through PayPal but I have never done that, so he is sending the money directly to me, via mail. I wanted to make sure I had cash in hand before the truck leaves my house. He said he was going to just part the truck out and mainly just wanted the motor. He sounds legit, but I just want to make sure my ass is covered.

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Once you have the money, I don't see the problem...cash the cheque, verify the funds before you send the truck.

3. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    No CASH. No TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!! lol

4. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    99PreRunner.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    I've just never made a sale like that, I've sold a truck to a guy that never saw the truck in person or even drove it. Gave me the cash inside the bank before walking out and looking at it... What would be the correct way to transfer the title and do a bill of sale?

5. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    If it's a USPS money order you're fine. If it's a certified check I would deposit it and wait a few days for your bank to verify the funds. There are a lot of scammers out there sending out home made 'certified checks' that look like they're issued from a legit bank, except that they're not.

Unfortunately the target won't know that until a few days after they've deposited the check. Usually the merchandize is gone by then.

6. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    99PreRunner.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    Man I read your thread about your truck. I didn't comment on it because it pissed me off so much (I can only imagine how you feel). I hope you get a lot of work here soon and can get the funds that you would like to have to by another truck.

7. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    99PreRunner.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to make sure that I have actual CASH in my pocket before the truck moves. I buy and sell a ton of things and have had people try to scam me with shipping and picking up stuff but I think this is a legit deal.

8. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's

Me too! Its on my list of stuff do get. Thats for sure. lol. Just make sure you get the cash before you ship the truck. Me and the wife have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 also, but it aint my Toy. :(

9. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    +1

I've heard of people who deposit these checks, and get notice about 10 days later that the check never cleared. What you can do is when you take it to your bank, have them call the bank that issued the check to verify the funds, while you wait. If the funds are there, see if it can be deposited and credited to your account, right then and there.

I bought my car from out of state, sight unseen except only in photographs (not digital but paper pictures), sent the money and prayed that the car would come to me as pictured. I was lucky.

10. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    99PreRunner.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean, there's nothing like having a "toy" that you can just slow work on and play with... I wish you the best of luck tho :thumbsup:

11. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    checks can bounce months later. Cash or nothing

12. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    99PreRunner.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yea, when I get the check, I'm going straight to the bank and talk with them (I know people some of the bankers). I just want to make sure I do it correctly.. So how do I go about the title to the truck and the bill of sale (since it won't be in person)?

13. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man and best of luck to you too!

14. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    if its gonna be parted out you may not need one, last time i sold a vehicle the guy was gonna part it out so he gave me cash and i dropped it off at his house and left my number if he ever decided to title and register it, never heard back

15. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I would sent the pink registered mail so that a signature is needed, that way you know it was received and you are no longer responsible for it should the buyer say he never got it.

As for "bill of sale", I believe that when you sign the back of the pink slip it also doubles as a bill of sale. You can always type up a quick one with price, condition AS IS, and with VIN.

I would also fill out a release of liability from the DMV. That way, if he parks it somewhere to part it out, some little kids think it's a climbing toy and falls off, you won't be liable for the injuries. You also won't be liable for it if it gets towed away. BUT!! If he never registers it and for some reason it gets towed, you get first dibs on getting it back for the price of tow and storage.

Don't ask me how I know this....:eek:

16. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs

lol im close enough if that happens can i have it hahahaha

17. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

It's a scam. Go to www.craigslist.org and the first thing to read in for sale thread is if any one does what is going on here, it's a scam. I found out what a scam is first hand. Had someone send a check, first thing I did was call the bank listed ON THE CHECK (their ph# should be there as well) and verified the name and acct#. The acct associate said there were plenty of funds, so the check would clear, but when they would find out it wasn't legit, anywhere from days to weeks later, they would bounce the check. Don't trust any one you haven't actually seen, and make sure they give you cash in your hand before the sale.

18. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    depending on where they are in nc i may be able to meet up with them for ya, im in greenville today, will be in emerals isle/greenville tomorrow and weds, emerald isle weds-fri, in shelby nc SAT SUN, EMERALD isle/greenville mon-fri, then uwharrie on fri sat sunday lol

19. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    But he offered to go through paypal, didn't he? If OP had a paypal account, would that be safer? I don't have paypal so I don't know. I just heard that people do trust it.

20. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

CL says to beware of paypal as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top