Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Toyota Tunrdras

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tunrdras

Anyone familiar with 200-2004 Tundras? If the 93 pickup I am currently looking at falls through, I might take a look at some Tundras. The 93 I am looking at is a 3.0 with 180k and I have not heard very good things about that motor. Does anyone have experience with that year of Tundras with the 4.7? The ones in my price range would have pretty high miles, like 150k +. Are these engines reliable? Will I end up dumping money into it with that many miles?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
my aunt has one and it is really nice, very powerful and just big enough to handle some towing. Plus they're the best looking tundras.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
my dad had an 05 and 05 (now an 11). and it was a solid truck. enought power and never any issues with it. also my dad would trade back to an 06 in a heartbeat.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
toyota makes engines that are good on mileage and the 3.0 i have heard are slow, but my brother has a 4.7 and its very nice, no problems towing. very smooth and alot of power
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the only bad thing I can think of is the stupid 4wd knob instead of a real shifter. I love the suicide access cab doors on my aunt's truck though.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
cjurgens91 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chase
cjurgens91's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has a 4 door 04 and he loves it
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
So would that engine be comparable to the 3.4 in regards to reliability? My 3.4 has 150k on it and it runs great. Is the 4.7 one of those engines you can buy with high miles?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
So would that engine be comparable to the 3.4 in regards to reliability? My 3.4 has 150k on it and it runs great. Is the 4.7 one of those engines you can buy with high miles?
i'd say so. Im not sure of any common problems with it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a forum for Tundras like this one?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
Is there a forum for Tundras like this one?
not that I know of. There are no other forums as good as this one FYI.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Wildjones is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Wildjones's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has a '00 Toyota Tundra. I think it has something like 120k on the motor, still going strong. He frequents Tundrasolutions often, but its no where near as active of a forum as TW.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
the 4.7's are great engines, reliable and hard to kill just like the 3.4, my dad had an 04 Sequoia, it would move it just fine
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
They are great trucks, my grandpa has one (idk the year) but it is really nice! He went all out and got it with the woodgrain details on the dash and doors, and even nice leather seats! Even to this day that truck looks like brand new. Like many other users have said, they are the best looking Tundra, and are not much different in size from a 2nd Gen Tacoma either!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Love the 00-04 extended cabs and present double cabs.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
my dad had a 2000 tundra 4wd 4.7L V-8 extended cab sr5. nice truck. has over 200.000 on it. only think with engine is it has some kinda ticking( idk what is causing it) and it only happens at a certain RPM rang. and the driver seat belt dose not want to retract like it should. it will still lock if you pull on it real fast like it should. just when you get out it does not want to retract. other than those 2 things. it runs great and we have not had any other problems out of it. i could have got it for free. and them get a new one. but we did not really been a bigger truck. just a truck with 4wd and more cab room for people. thats why i went with the DC tacoma. we have towed 2 cars with it.

edit: here is the tundra forum i have looked at a few times. http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/forum.php
Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 06 DC (still a first gen, only main difference is it has VVT-i and an extra gear in the transmission). The 4.7 is very capable. I tow my 21' toy hauler without issues.

As for forums, they all suck compared to TW, but yeah there's tundrasolutions.com, tundratalk.net, and toyotanation.com.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
SilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
SilverTacoEater's Tacoma Gallery
My pops has a 2003 Toyota Tundra 2WD V6 and the thing has 236,000 miles on it and he abuses the shit out of it and never had a problem (knock on wood). It's not the V8 but hell if the base model can handle the abuse I'm sure the V8 can.
One of my co workers has a 05 4.7 4WD and he has about 136,000 on his and never had a problem as far as i know.
I'm sure their great trucks.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
I would trade my taco for a tundra. especially the ivan stewart model. I want one of these:
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
n2toyotas is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired USN (Submarines)
n2toyotas's Tacoma Gallery
there is a site just like this one called tundrasolutions.com