1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taking month off from truck payment. Consequences

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 808Raider, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM
    808Raider

808Raider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    Had my truck 2 years now. Monthly payments are $390 but I've been paying $600 since I bought it to get ahead and pay it off in 3 years. I've had to take time off though this month from work for medical reasons and the extra $390 bucks would really help with other bills if I didn't make this months payment. Question is what are the consequences? Will i only pay the late fee on next months payment or will my credit take a big hit? Just wondering maybe you guys have some insight. Thanks

2. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    OscarWholivich

OscarWholivich Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    06 Base Regular Cab 4x4
    Door Chime off, The Stubby Antenna, Hunter bull bars, Sockmonkey antlers decal, MetalMiller custom emblem
    Sometime they will defer a payment if you just give them a call and tell em your situation.

3. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    Call and ask.

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM
    chich2000

chich2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD TDR
    I would call and let them know your situation. 30 days should not be a problem, if they know about it. They sometimes waive the late payment fee as well.

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Call them. Many banks will assist. They are so paranoid about defaults that they will most likely assist you when you call and ask instead of an "all of a sudden" missing payment. It could be bad credit wise if you don't let them know.

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    If you have been paying $200+ over for 24 months nothing will happen if you skip a month because you are months ahead on your payments

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    your credit can, and likely will take a hit if you miss a payment without calling them. Most banks can defer a payment for a month or more depending on the circumstances. With you being so far ahead they will likely give you at least a month, possibly and probably more if you need it.

8. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    If youre paying that much more each month like you say your next payment is likely zero anyways, probably more like your next 6-7 payments is likely zero.

All depends how your bank does it, I pay ahead on my truck every month as well and it comes off my next month due, pay ahead on that bill and the same thing. So eventually you have enought to cut a year of payments off the truck or whatever.

Just call your bank, you sound like your in great standing

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:02 AM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    This ^

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Def call before you skip payment. I get offers to skip payments if i pay the monthly interest a lot. Never done it.

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    probably depends what the extra money you've been paying has been going for. generally you want to apply extra payments to the principal not the interest to reduce the overall interest you'll pay. otherwise you're just paying off their interest faster and they don't care when you finish paying it. if you've just been paying more then you're probably ahead on payments and owe nothing. either way call the bank, better safe than sorry

12. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:10 AM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    Hey Matt, long time no talk. Glad to see you got the lift installed.

13. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:16 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Not if he's been doing it the right way.

Most creditors credit amount over minimum towards future payments to ensure they make all of their interest income...HOWEVER if the OP has been specifying that the extra he's paying go to principle (which will save him a lot of interest money in the long run), then he wouldn't be ahead on his payments at all.

It depends what he was doing. He should DEFINITELY call his creditor and see what he can work out with them to avoid any credit consequences.

14. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This. I have NEVER had a min balance due on a car payment of $0...but I pay nearly double every month. Applying it to the next months payment does not save you any money- It just gets the complete principle+interest paid off earlier. Paying against the principle reduces the amount that the interest is charged against, saving you money.

OP- Can you float on just keep the 210 extra that you pay for the next couple months?? Or do you need the whole 600?? Either way-before making any major changes or skipping a payment- Call the bank and let them know, see what they suggest, and go from there.

15. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    As others said to call.
    In the past, if I sent extra $$ to Toyota Finanacial Services without specifying, the extra money would go towards my next payment automatically. That is Toyota Financial Services.
    It is always best to call and good luck with your medical situation too.

16. Nov 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    So what did the bank say?

17. Nov 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    X2 especially since you been doubling your payments

18. Nov 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I wouldn't assume it would be okay. Definitely call the bank. Don't miss a payment without calling them. You will take a credit rating hit if you're late.

If you have the ability to check your bill online, look and see if they show a payment due at your normal due date. That would tell you if your lender applies your extra payment to principle or future payments. You can also look in your loan documents and see if there is a prepayment clause.

19. Nov 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    LTE

LTE NRA Benefactor Member

Member:
    in my own little world
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5II; Longbed; FLyzeyes LED
    window tint, step bars, Flyzeye LED interior console light
    As everyone here as already said, call your bank/credit union and ask before you decide not to pay.

I was ahead on my last car, came to the due date, for got to mail the check. I called them and the rep told me not to worry. I was ahead four months and they could let it slide.

With any credit union, communication is the key to getting slack when you need it.

Products Discussed in

To Top