Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Taking month off from truck payment. Consequences

Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
Taking month off from truck payment. Consequences

Had my truck 2 years now. Monthly payments are $390 but I've been paying $600 since I bought it to get ahead and pay it off in 3 years. I've had to take time off though this month from work for medical reasons and the extra $390 bucks would really help with other bills if I didn't make this months payment. Question is what are the consequences? Will i only pay the late fee on next months payment or will my credit take a big hit? Just wondering maybe you guys have some insight. Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
OscarWholivich is on a distinguished road

OscarWholivich's Tacoma Gallery
Sometime they will defer a payment if you just give them a call and tell em your situation.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
call ur bank/credit union.
if ur THAT far ahead, maybe nothing will happen and they will use ur extra payments as "credit" for this month?
I know some places do that.....err, did. Ya never know with this economy tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarWholivich View Post
Sometime they will defer a payment if you just give them a call and tell em your situation.
Call and ask.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
chich2000 is on a distinguished road
chich2000's Tacoma Gallery
I would call and let them know your situation. 30 days should not be a problem, if they know about it. They sometimes waive the late payment fee as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Call them. Many banks will assist. They are so paranoid about defaults that they will most likely assist you when you call and ask instead of an "all of a sudden" missing payment. It could be bad credit wise if you don't let them know.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
your credit can, and likely will take a hit if you miss a payment without calling them. Most banks can defer a payment for a month or more depending on the circumstances. With you being so far ahead they will likely give you at least a month, possibly and probably more if you need it.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
If youre paying that much more each month like you say your next payment is likely zero anyways, probably more like your next 6-7 payments is likely zero.

All depends how your bank does it, I pay ahead on my truck every month as well and it comes off my next month due, pay ahead on that bill and the same thing. So eventually you have enought to cut a year of payments off the truck or whatever.

Just call your bank, you sound like your in great standing
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
If youre paying that much more each month like you say your next payment is likely zero anyways, probably more like your next 6-7 payments is likely zero.
This ^
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Def call before you skip payment. I get offers to skip payments if i pay the monthly interest a lot. Never done it.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
WahooTaco
gov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
gov875's Tacoma Gallery
probably depends what the extra money you've been paying has been going for. generally you want to apply extra payments to the principal not the interest to reduce the overall interest you'll pay. otherwise you're just paying off their interest faster and they don't care when you finish paying it. if you've just been paying more then you're probably ahead on payments and owe nothing. either way call the bank, better safe than sorry
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
probably depends what the extra money you've been paying has been going for. generally you want to apply extra payments to the principal not the interest to reduce the overall interest you'll pay. otherwise you're just paying off their interest faster and they don't care when you finish paying it. if you've just been paying more then you're probably ahead on payments and owe nothing. either way call the bank, better safe than sorry
Hey Matt, long time no talk. Glad to see you got the lift installed.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
If you have been paying $200+ over for 24 months nothing will happen if you skip a month because you are months ahead on your payments
Not if he's been doing it the right way.

Most creditors credit amount over minimum towards future payments to ensure they make all of their interest income...HOWEVER if the OP has been specifying that the extra he's paying go to principle (which will save him a lot of interest money in the long run), then he wouldn't be ahead on his payments at all.

It depends what he was doing. He should DEFINITELY call his creditor and see what he can work out with them to avoid any credit consequences.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Not if he's been doing it the right way.

Most creditors credit amount over minimum towards future payments to ensure they make all of their interest income...HOWEVER if the OP has been specifying that the extra he's paying go to principle (which will save him a lot of interest money in the long run), then he wouldn't be ahead on his payments at all.

It depends what he was doing. He should DEFINITELY call his creditor and see what he can work out with them to avoid any credit consequences.
This. I have NEVER had a min balance due on a car payment of $0...but I pay nearly double every month. Applying it to the next months payment does not save you any money- It just gets the complete principle+interest paid off earlier. Paying against the principle reduces the amount that the interest is charged against, saving you money.

OP- Can you float on just keep the 210 extra that you pay for the next couple months?? Or do you need the whole 600?? Either way-before making any major changes or skipping a payment- Call the bank and let them know, see what they suggest, and go from there.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
As others said to call.
In the past, if I sent extra $$ to Toyota Finanacial Services without specifying, the extra money would go towards my next payment automatically. That is Toyota Financial Services.
It is always best to call and good luck with your medical situation too.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarWholivich View Post
X2 especially since you been doubling your payments
Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't assume it would be okay. Definitely call the bank. Don't miss a payment without calling them. You will take a credit rating hit if you're late.

If you have the ability to check your bill online, look and see if they show a payment due at your normal due date. That would tell you if your lender applies your extra payment to principle or future payments. You can also look in your loan documents and see if there is a prepayment clause.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
As everyone here as already said, call your bank/credit union and ask before you decide not to pay.

I was ahead on my last car, came to the due date, for got to mail the check. I called them and the rep told me not to worry. I was ahead four months and they could let it slide.

With any credit union, communication is the key to getting slack when you need it.