Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Good Samaritan Thread (why Tacoma folks rock)

Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Good Samaritan Thread (why Tacoma folks rock)

Ok, you guys might think this is kinda silly, but there is a reason behind this thread. I believe that the only way to change the world is starting with you and what you do everyday. I call it my "good deed for the day/week". I look at how people treat each other in this world and it lacks compassion and any sense of empathy so I work to change that, common courtesy, chivalry, generosity, volunteering, all things that we do without a second thought. To some of you, you probably think "why the thread, I do that anyways?", well I thought by posting things we do to help others, it would inspire others here to do the same. I normally don't brag about the things I do to help others, that's between me, the folks I help and (someday), God, but it can be used to inspire.
All of you first responders and to the service guys (and gals), we hold all of you in the highest regards for the things you do on all of our behalf, thank you!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'll go first, i was driving down 680 in Concord about 10 pm the other night and I see a Prius on the gore point, on a slope with what looked to be an older guy digging for a spare tire, well I doubled back around and pulled up behind them, it was and older Hispanic couple with what looked to be a grand daughter. The lady explained to me that she has AAA but her phone died right when the tire went flat. I figured i could lend her my phone but what the heck, i had my floor jack and star wrench in the back and i could change it faster than it would take a tow guy to get there. When I finished the lady offered me some money, normally I wouldn't take it but in the Mexican culture it's rude not to accept a gift, it was like 8$, the best part was that they said they would say some prayers for me and since they looked like devout Catholics i'm sure they did. I need all the Honorable Mentions that I can get so that made my week.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Every now and then I'll pick up the tab for a senior citizen at a diner or restaurant. I do it anonymously. I started doing this after someone did it for my Dad.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Every now and then I'll pick up the tab for a senior citizen at a diner or restaurant. I do it anonymously. I started doing this after someone did it for my Dad.
My parent's, for as long as I can remember have anonymously picked up meals for uniformed police/fire department members. Being in college I can't do it as much as I'd like but it's still cool watching their reaction when they hear the check has been taken care of.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
My parent's, for as long as I can remember have anonymously picked up meals for uniformed police/fire department members. Being in college I can't do it as much as I'd like but it's still cool watching their reaction when they hear the check has been taken care of.
My dad does the same thing, he picks up the tab for military personnel also as he father was a military man. Something I hope to start doing also.

my goal for the day is to treat people with more respect then they give me, and give others a chance.

seems to be working ok so far!

Great thread OP
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy helping people who have broken down on the side of the road. It makes them happier, and one day it might be me.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
treat people with more respect then they give me, and give others a chance. i seam to do this all the time! and some times it back fires so to speak.
(and that goes to TW members too) even tho i don’t really know any of you)

i also tend to hold doors open for people even if i stand there for a few extra seconds.(if they are not automatic doors) i HATE it when people won’t say THANK YOU! kinda pisses me off because it takes no extra energy from you to say it and it’s just rude!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
So, I am a bartender at the Country Club here in town, and there's a group of 3 old ladies that come out EVERY Friday night and have drinks/dinner. They are the sweetest old ladies, two of their husbands were fighter pilots in WWII, all three are now widows living on their own. Well last Friday while serving them drinks (Merlot, Manhattan OTR, Shirley Temple with a splash of Jim Beam ), I overheard them talking about winter coming and how their gutters are full of leaves and they are going to rent a ladder and check on them/clean them this weekend. Hearing this, I was freaking out. Old ladies + ladders + cleaning gutters = Disaster. So I told them "No way are you doing that! Give me your addresses and I'll swing by next (this) week and do it for you!" So, long-story-short, I'm going to clean out their gutters this week for them. They're the sweetest old ladies in the world and I would hate for something to happen. Feels good man.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
When I go through toll booths I pay for the people behind me. It's kind fun and its only a couple bucks anyway. Unless your in Jersey, then its every man for himself.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
I cut my neighbors grass for free, been doing it for over a year now since he found out he has cancer and is to weak to do anything, 4 acres twice a month, use my own tools and gas. I also cut my other neighbors grass for free to, shes a elderly lady on a 2 acre farm. Built with a friend a 10x40 deck a month ago with a roof and a wheel chair ramp at a retired ladies house for free and we even bought her lunch everyday that we were there. Volunteer at the fire station in our community.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
When I go through toll booths I pay for the people behind me. It's kind fun and its only a couple bucks anyway. Unless your in Jersey, then its every man for himself.
It's five bucks on most of the bridges out here and 7 I think on the Golden Gate
Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
I cut my neighbors grass for free, been doing it for over a year now since he found out he has cancer and is to weak to do anything, 4 acres twice a month, use my own tools and gas. I also cut my other neighbors grass for free to, shes a elderly lady on a 2 acre farm. Built with a friend a 10x40 deck a month ago with a roof and a wheel chair ramp at a retired ladies house for free and we even bought her lunch everyday that we were there. Volunteer at the fire station in our community.
Right on! I have an elderly client whose son lives 1500 miles away, I go by and take care of stuff if she needs it, i never charge for the little things, checking on stuff, whatever. Only when I'm doing a project with a bid.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
So, I am a bartender at the Country Club here in town, and there's a group of 3 old ladies that come out EVERY Friday night and have drinks/dinner. They are the sweetest old ladies, two of their husbands were fighter pilots in WWII, all three are now widows living on their own. Well last Friday while serving them drinks (Merlot, Manhattan OTR, Shirley Temple with a splash of Jim Beam ), I overheard them talking about winter coming and how their gutters are full of leaves and they are going to rent a ladder and check on them/clean them this weekend. Hearing this, I was freaking out. Old ladies + ladders + cleaning gutters = Disaster. So I told them "No way are you doing that! Give me your addresses and I'll swing by next (this) week and do it for you!" So, long-story-short, I'm going to clean out their gutters this week for them. They're the sweetest old ladies in the world and I would hate for something to happen. Feels good man.
Yeah it does feel good Jake, there's your good deed of the week!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
treat people with more respect then they give me, and give others a chance. i seam to do this all the time! and some times it back fires so to speak.
(and that goes to TW members too) even tho i don’t really know any of you)

i also tend to hold doors open for people even if i stand there for a few extra seconds.(if they are not automatic doors) i HATE it when people won’t say THANK YOU! kinda pisses me off because it takes no extra energy from you to say it and it’s just rude!
yeah sometimes ya wanna smack em in da back o da head, "hey, anyone teach you any fuckin manners!?!?!?"

Nah, I know what you mean though, some people are just friggin jerks
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
I enjoy helping people who have broken down on the side of the road. It makes them happier, and one day it might be me.

Definitely i'm with ya on this one, some day it could be me needing some help, good karma in the bank.

Though, as long as i have this tacoma, that shouldn't happen!

Knock on wood!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryRider View Post
My dad does the same thing, he picks up the tab for military personnel also as he father was a military man. Something I hope to start doing also.

my goal for the day is to treat people with more respect then they give me, and give others a chance.

seems to be working ok so far!

Great thread OP
thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
that's cool, my dad is retired, gotta watch every penny, i'm gonna do this, i like this idea, as well as for the fire/police/military, i really like this idea, thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I honestly don't do much myself. I hold doors open for people but that's it. Unfortunately there is always someone wanting to pull a scam or sue so watch yourselves out there when you pull over to help someone stranded on the side of the road.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
yeah sometimes ya wanna smack em in da back o da head, "hey, anyone teach you any fuckin manners!?!?!?"

Nah, I know what you mean though, some people are just friggin jerks
haha. yeah whats funny. is my friend di not say it. (not that i cared to much about him not saying it) but i did smack him up side the head. than he pouched me in the rips.

but yeah they are. some times i will say “YOU’R WELCOME” in a sarcastic tone. they don’t do anything. one time i said to this guy. “you could have said thank you” he just looked at me wired. i wanted to punch him in the face so hard.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
well i was in line at the bank and noticed the car in front of me had a flat and had been driving on it for a while so i got out it was some hot chick so i told her changed it out for the spare, she was so happy i think it made my day more than hers LOL