Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need help with 'Portfolio'

Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
Need help with 'Portfolio'

So our final project for my Applied Arts class is our portfolio, and we are supposed to do it in the style of a website. This is the basic layout I've got so far, but have kinda hit a wall with it. Any suggestions on things I should add? Remove? Layout comments at all would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My first suggestion... CONTENT

Some sort of side bar, as well as bottom navigation would help
Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
I'm not worried about content, I have it, but all the layers are hidden at the moment.

And it's not gonna be a legitimate website, just a portfolio to put all of our projects together in that is in the style of a website. Layout, click-able buttons. But we only need the 4 pages designated at the top

Text more like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with 'Portfolio'-portfolio.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The ghost look on the lettering works well with your bg... Keep it. What is this about? You? If you are a badass, your layout is on the right track. from a website developers perspective here, it isn't all that bad of design so far.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
We're supposed to have a Bio page and stuff, just a basic design. But it's supposed to showcase our work with Photoshop more than anything else. But we are supposed to have a successful, working html based page with working links and everything.

and yes, I am a badass thanks for noticing. haha.

I'm a big fan of blacks, greys, and whites when it comes to my projects, but am not afraid of the complimenting colors (like the lime green)

Here is another shot with some basic content. The text is just a place holder, as I am currently working on the layout before the filler.

Edit: Just realized the bottom picture sticks out like a sore thumb, consider it gray scale
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with 'Portfolio'-portfolio.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Vivid Illumination

See, I knew I needed the content... I'll be honest, I feel like I am looking at an obituary. Give yourself some headers, and maybe consider running your links down the side instead? Just some suggestions.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
The only thing is that with the "examples" the professor gave, they all had the links runnin down the side. They were "Monkey see, Monkey do" status. I honestly think i'm the only one out of 30 running it like this.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Vivid Illumination

Hmm... I like the overall idea. It's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
I just put a blue hue on the picture, and recolored the texts. Does that take away from it feeling depressing? haha
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with 'Portfolio'-portfolio-blue.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5Thirty View Post
I just put a blue hue on the picture, and recolored the texts. Does that take away from it feeling depressing? haha
Yes it does.

Are you planning to leave it where you have images down the left and the text justified in the middle? I've personally never been a fan of that format, but a lot of people use it. To each his own though...

I might suggest moving the text left, and integrating the images within the text, instead of limiting your content into columns.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Yes it does.

Are you planning to leave it where you have images down the left and the text justified in the middle? I've personally never been a fan of that format, but a lot of people use it. To each his own though...

I might suggest moving the text left, and integrating the images within the text, instead of limiting your content into columns.
Not a bad idea, I'll definitely consider that. At this point in time, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I spent 5 minutes putting that crap in there just so I'd have some filler to give me a general idea on what I'm looking at. I honestly figure that, sooner or later, I'm gonna end up switching it up for the body of the site. For now, I'm just trying to get comfortable with the outline, then working my way in haha

btw, +1
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Just remembering a bit from past experience with page design. Often times less is more. Make sure you use your white space effectively. "All life is balance grasshopper"....
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Not a bad idea, I'll definitely consider that. At this point in time, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I spent 5 minutes putting that crap in there just so I'd have some filler to give me a general idea on what I'm looking at. I honestly figure that, sooner or later, I'm gonna end up switching it up for the body of the site. For now, I'm just trying to get comfortable with the outline, then working my way in haha
That's kind of the backward way to build a website, but I don't blame you. That's how I do mine too haha. You're "supposed" to gather all of your content, and then beautify your website design based upon that. I think you have a good base with your green and black combo as far as classy/spooky goes. Makes me think of MotoX right away actually. I don't know if you're actually into that, but I am guessing you are. The bad thing about those types of colors is that they are hard to do the formatting smoothly. And another thing to think about implementing maybe... A content box that is a solid color. It would lie over your current background. You could make it partially translucent so that you can still see your nice background partially, but it will provide some border lines that will better "control" your content.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
Something like this? Sorry if I seem repetitive or ignorant, this is my first time designing something with a significant layout. I do appreciate the help Colton
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with 'Portfolio'-portfolio-blue.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Something like this? Sorry if I seem repetitive or ignorant, this is my first time designing something with a significant layout. I do appreciate the help Colton
Yes, you're getting warmer. What application are you using to put this all together?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
Nothing but Photoshop. It's the only one we're allowed to use for this.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Nothing but Photoshop. It's the only one we're allowed to use for this.
That's fine. I just wanted to make sure you were using a real program for this...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #19
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
Hahaha, MS Paint!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Hahaha, MS Paint!
I've seen some stupid shit man... Good luck linking with paint though lol