Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

How to deal with apartment managers.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
smallxfires is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
smallxfires's Tacoma Gallery
How to deal with apartment managers.

So I live in a really nice apartment community, I have for years and my wife and I love it. The occasional letters have been showing up on our door about little things lately (the first was about my wife's hummingbird feeder, saying it was bringing down values and it had to be removed)

But the big one came today about my garage. It read that I had to remove all "hazardous chemicals" from my garage. I called to clarify and the property manager said even brand new sealed bottles of oil cannot be stored in the garage same goes for coolant etc. The only automotive chemicals allowed are for cleaning. She also said I am not allowed to change my oil/rotate my tires, even inside the garage. I was very nice on the phone and said I would take care of it knowing that somewhere in my lease there is a clause in it that I signed.

My question is, what can I do now to maintain/mod my truck without getting kicked out of my lease (my wife said moving is not an option) I would just shut the garage door, but its a 1 car garage and there is not enough room to fit the truck and get around it. I really do not like the idea of someone else changing my oil, or doing any wrenching, I have always maintained my own cars.

What would you guys do?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
New management and new rules?
Old management new rules?

Go over your lease with a fine tooth comb first and foremost...then try and talk to them and see what they say about why its a big deal now and how you can work around it
Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallxfires View Post
So I live in a really nice apartment community, I have for years and my wife and I love it. The occasional letters have been showing up on our door about little things lately (the first was about my wife's hummingbird feeder, saying it was bringing down values and it had to be removed)

But the big one came today about my garage. It read that I had to remove all "hazardous chemicals" from my garage. I called to clarify and the property manager said even brand new sealed bottles of oil cannot be stored in the garage same goes for coolant etc. The only automotive chemicals allowed are for cleaning. She also said I am not allowed to change my oil/rotate my tires, even inside the garage. I was very nice on the phone and said I would take care of it knowing that somewhere in my lease there is a clause in it that I signed.

My question is, what can I do now to maintain/mod my truck without getting kicked out of my lease (my wife said moving is not an option) I would just shut the garage door, but its a 1 car garage and there is not enough room to fit the truck and get around it. I really do not like the idea of someone else changing my oil, or doing any wrenching, I have always maintained my own cars.

What would you guys do?
Find your lease and double check the stipulations for such "work". You might be able to get away with stuff if you pay attention to what it says.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Find your lease and double check the stipulations for such "work". You might be able to get away with stuff if you pay attention to what it says.
Im going to have to find it, but I remember signing something about all cars being in running condition, and I cannot preform work on them...
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery

Problem solved.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post

Problem solved.
Tom, double check the lease and see what you can manipulate. If no options, then go for the option above.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
I use to work for many different apartment communities your going to have a hard time fighting that because usually the chemicals side of things has to do with city ordinances having to do with the environment and waste disposal and they will not budge on that. As far as modding or maintaining your truck its a major liability if something was to go wrong.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my wife said moving is not an option
new wife and then move
j/k
Sounds like a very demanding place to live. I guess you have 3 options if the wording is in the contract.

1. Ask around for a reputable garage.
2. Convince the wife to move.
3. Wake up at 4 a.m., perform maintainence quietly and hope you don't get caught.

What are the consequences if you don't comply? Fine? Eviction?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Tom, double check the lease and see what you can manipulate. If no options, then go for the option above.
Haha lol that is funny cuz my girl had her 1st day being a manager at some apartments. I showed her that and she resents that lol
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
i'd be willing to bet that someone complained. So the manager was put in the position. Keep the peace and do your work at a buddies house.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
i'd be willing to bet that someone complained. So the manager was put in the position. Keep the peace and do your work at a buddies house.
I have a feeling this is my only option. Its an apartment community in a upscale area, lots of people who lost their homes moved in here, most of the cars are G wagons and BMWs, I can count at least 4-5 neighbors who would complain if they heard my impact wrench, even in the middle of day. I would love to live in a house with a 2 car garage, but its not in the cards for now.

I can see used chemicals being an issue, but sealed in a brand new bottle? Seems a little extreme to me.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
"No vehicle maintenance or repair shall be permitted within property boundaries" Is actually in the lease. Looks like I need to make some very nice friends with driveways!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I'd def try and find a friend nearby with a driveway or garage that'll let you

Ask around on here...there may be someone willing to assist
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HarryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There are so many people on this board from CA. Help a brotha out.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can see used chemicals being an issue, but sealed in a brand new bottle? Seems a little extreme to me.
Keep them in boxes so they can't see them. easy way to get around that!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Trade the truck for a 4runner or regular cab Taco. That should give you enough room to walk around the truck and do maintenance with the door closed.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Keep them in boxes so they can't see them. easy way to get around that!
x2 make sure they are unmarked as well
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #18
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Name: Bill
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
I have a heavy duty storage container I use for my camping gear; it has provisions for locking it with a padlock; get something similar and store your hazmat in it. Anyone asks, "That's my tent, sleeping bag, cookware, blah, blah..." but keep it locked unless you are getting something in or out of it. An apartment manager can inspect the leased units (with notice in most places) but they cannot search your private property.

Edit: My camp box is actually a food storage box, used for keeping food away from bears and other wildlife; I got it for long trips into the Cascades, and it can be hoisted into a tree.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #19
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
There are more and more Do it Yourself shops popping up. They rent you space, lift, tools, etc at fairly reasonable prices. As said before, there are tons of peeps in Cali that I'm sure would help out, If no one else closer you could use mine, but I'm down in San Diego. As for chemicals, I would keep them in a box out of direct sight.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #20
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
You could use my driveway but Im not sure if the trip would be worth it for you.