1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When is it too late to move out?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by UpstateTRDTaco, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

UpstateTRDTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    Hey TW, girlfriend is giving me a hard time about not moving out and having my own place at 20, im a college student living at home right now traveling to the college across town, I am transferring to a bigger school to finish my degree in the spring and see no need to move out from home, just to a dorm or apartment at school for the semester, because it is perfectly fine here and its just dad and i and we get along great. So i guess i want to ask, what does everyone think is a time to move out of the house and live on my own? after i have a degree and can support my self fully?

PS i dont have a part time job because i make enough between semesters to cover my costs during the semester and i dont want a job to interfere with school work (yes i actually do work at college and dont just drink 24/7 like some)

2. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    stay as long as you can man, no need to bury yourself in debt if you cant handle it. Guy at work gives me shit all the time for living at home, and im 25..lol

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I moved out when I was 21. That was the point when I was out of college and making enough for a mortgage payment. Don't do it any sooner. I've seen a lot of people getting into hot water moving out too early and not having the money. Besides, if it's just you and your father, why rush it? I'm sure you enjoy hanging around with each other. Sounds like your girlfriend wants a place to crash.

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Tell her to get naked and make you a sammich..... not necessarily in that order either

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Tell her school is the most important thing right now.
    If she needs a dude with a dorm let her find one.
    Sounds like you are using your head ( the upper one ) :D
    No sense moving just cuz. Home is way better than a noisy dorm and who knows what kind of roomy.

6. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    X2

7. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    99PreRunner.

99PreRunner. ^ I no longer have a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    2008 GMC 3500 Duramax 4x4 - CCLB
    If your happy where your at, stay as long as you can!! You will spend more money living on your own (free food at home). I'm 21, go to school full-time, and still live at home. I would like to have my own place, but why? I can eat great home cooked meals at home every night! I do not plan on moving out until after I graduate and get a full-time job.

8. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    linked2002

linked2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma, 3 linked, 6 over custom arms, cage
    links, custom 6 over arms, full 1.75 d.o.m. cage, 35 gallon cell, etc
    Any girl that is going to give you shit like that when you are trying to build your future is no girlyou want by your side later in life. If she can't understand that hard times now may lead to better times in the future then kick that twat to the curb and find one that appreciates you. I took that exact advice and have since been lead to the life ive got now.and it sure as hell isn't a bad one.

9. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    hedman

hedman The Ghost

Member:
    Canada BC
    Vehicle:
    18 DBL CAB LB TRD SPORT
    If you were not in college it would be late IMPO however with being a student I think you would be a fool for moving out. Reason being is that it would be far to costly to have to pay for everything on your own. So hang out finish school and then get a job and move out with in a year. Just my opinion

10. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    So at the current rate you will be graduating college debt-free? Keep doing whatever you are doing!

11. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    dont rush it man. i kno ppl who were at home till 30. im 23 ans still at home and granted i dont have a serious gf, my plan is to finish school by the spring take my time finding a job worth my while with room to advance and when im making enough to pay EVERYTHING(I.E rent, car/health insurance, utilities, food, gas, car payments, spending money) otherwise wats the point? if u didnt get along with the rents its one thing but otherwise why not stay as long as u need to?

12. Nov 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    tell her she needs to back off, thats not always a smart choice, i moved out when i was 18 made it on my own till i was 22 shit happened had to move back in with my mom, its been almost a yr now, its not exactly easy to just up and move out now a days, you need to make sure you prepared for it. and btw...you are 20! now if you were in the 30-40's range different story...sry if anyone is. But has she not noticed theres a lot of 3 gen familys living together, or atleast around here there is. if you dont need to why put the extra stess on yourself, wait till you graduate. honestly it sounds like she might end up dragging you down.

13. Nov 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is good advice. I lived in the dorms when I was in college full time and lived at home during the summers and breaks. I finally moved out when I was 21 and had a secure full-time job. No need to take on a rent payment when you're already strapped for cash as a college student. Some of my friends even lived at home for a few years after college and it gave them a chance to really pay down their loans, get themselves on their feet financially and then went straight to home ownership with 20% down because they saved so much money living at home. Just you and your dad, don't rush it, stay as long as you can!

I don't know your girlfriend or the tone in which she said you should get your own place to please don't get offended when I say she doesn't have a clue what's best for you and is being very short sighted with her advice.

Fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

14. Nov 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Simple question to put it on her....Does she live on her own? If not, ask her why she's being a hypocrite. If she does, ask her what's wrong with having sex at her place.

15. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    linked2002

linked2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma, 3 linked, 6 over custom arms, cage
    links, custom 6 over arms, full 1.75 d.o.m. cage, 35 gallon cell, etc

^^^^ EXACTLY!!!

16. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    X2, stay as long as you can, nothing wrong with staying at home especially if your dad doesnt mind you there. It would give you more chances to save and relax in your own atmosphere, tell you g/f ease up GIRL!

17. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    This and ask nac to go out with you,,,,,,:anonymous:find a smart one young man... Jim

18. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    In your circumstance, I'm right with you. Stay until you're done with school and are working a solid job. No sense in making all kinds of bills when you dont have a fulltime job and can still live at home a little longer!

19. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    FOUR X FOUR DUDE.

FOUR X FOUR DUDE. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Mountain Center, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    TRD wheels, BFG tires, factory installed option.
    I gotta jump in here. In her eyes, a 20 something still living at home is a Mama's boy. Probably makes your lunch, does your laundry etc, right ? Women want Men, REAL men, not Mama's boys. I know, I know, it's great for you, cheap rent, free food etc, but consider you have to fend for yourself, at some point. Then there's the parents who don't want Junior or Missy moving out, because they will then be oh, so lonely. My, my, my. Whatever will they do.

AND THEN, there's parents who won't let Junior grow up. They pay for his car insurance, cell phone, do everything for him, and he ends up like my girlfriends son, 27 yrs old and just moved out, but can't do anytning on his own, because Mummy/Daddy did everything for him and still do ! His vacuum breaks, what does he do ? He comes to Mummy's house and "borrows" her spare ( 1 month ago). Why can't he go to wal-mrt and buy a new one ?

Ok, I was on my own at 17 and prior to that, since my Mom was poor, I had to fend for myself at an early age, so this is why I'm like this.

20. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Well theirs that kind of idiot that lives with parents and DEPEND on them, or the kind of parents that wipe their kids ass all day OR the kind of kid that lives at home but is STILL HIS OWN MAN and does everything independently or at least helps out the household. Hoping OP is the independent type and the kind of man that does stuff since hes living at home;)

Products Discussed in

To Top