1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Border Patrol WTF?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeverich, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Was in Seattle for the holiday, decided to take a ride up to Bellingham on Friday. LFS Outdoor was having a great sale on fishing gear..all that good stuff. Anyhow, I digress.

Still have Rhode Island plates on my truck, same plates that have been on the truck since 2007, with valid registration.

Pull into the parking lot for the boat harbor, park the truck and walk down to check out the boats. Whilst parking, notice that there is a Border Patrol car parked behind me as I get out. Think nothing of it.

As I'm walking back from the docks, notice said Border Patrol Agent looking inside my truck, underneath - making notations. At about 15 feet of distance I acknowledge that I'm the owner of the truck, so he is aware that I'm not some random passerby approaching the vehicle.

Immediately, the Agent interprets me as a hostile threat. Hand him I.D., driver's license as well as my Dept. of Homeland Security-issued TWIC card (for my Captain's License). Repeated questioning, why am I here, did I meet anyone, where do I live, profession...

At this point in time, I'm shitting bricks. Maintaining a professional attitude, answering questions clearly, yes sir, no sir.

Three more Border Patrol vehicles arrive, as well as an un-marked F150. Agent asks me if there are any weapons in the vehicle, I give him an honest answer of, "Not to the best of my knowledge, sir - I am a commercial fisherman - there may be a knife in the truck that I forgot about.". This answer is interpreted as hostile. Truck is searched. No knives. This is in a parking lot of a crowded harbor, with kids and family's all around. I'm feeling like total scum at this point.

Agents repeatedly stated that the plates on the vehicle belonged to a "Honda". Which is impossible, due to the fact that I surrendered both the current registration and original registration with the identical plate number.

About 2 hours later I was told that I was free to go, although I "Should look into my license plates."

I did.

Contacted the RI State Police for clarification in the matter. Rhode Island issues both Passenger Vehicle plates and Combination Vehicle plates, with the type clearly marked in BOLD lettering on the plate itself.

I have a pickup, therefore I have COMBINATION plates. Yes, if you run my plate number as a Passenger Plate, a Honda is the owner.

I'm not bitching, haven't lost any respect for members of the LEO community, or anything like that. It's good to know that our country's enforcement is an active presence.

It's sad to think that of the 6 agents that were involved, none of them had the training or forethought to realize what type of plates were on the vehicle.

End rant.

2. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    thats crazy...I'd have been shitting bricks too. Glad to hear nothing actually happened though.

3. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    sounds like initially the dispatcher who typed in the plate made the mistake when running the numbers when that boarder patrol agent first called in it. dumbasses neeeds cross state training

4. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    i would have shitted my in my pants. lol

5. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    Do all states have combo plates like that? Maybe that's something they just haven't seen before and took all precautionary action as they should have. They don't know you and we're only doing their job so good for them! But sucks for you, I probly would've pee'd my los pantaloons and told them anything they wanted to hear!

6. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    There was probably a lot of drug deals and other illicit activity going on in that same zip code while you were being harassed.

7. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    2 hours later? wtf?

i mean, on the one hand, i'm glad they are so diligent.

on the other hand, hassling law abiding citizens who have done nothing wrong, and made to feel like "total scum" while they search your vehicle due to some mistake on their part?

i would be writing a letter to somebody in charge over at the local border patrol office.

8. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Like I said, I'm glad that they are out there - and know that they were only following SOP. Still though, WTF.

9. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Definitely not cool.

It's obviously not the reason for your ordeal, but you might want to check on WA and RI laws regarding relocation and vehicle registration. Your move from RI to WA probably required you to switch your license and registration to your new home. (IIRC, only Active Duty military can maintain out-of-state license/registration when they relocate to a new state.)

10. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    little ignorant on their part, and you were being completely cooperative, but it's hard to expect every leo to know all rules nationwide, but yeah judging by the tone of your post, i woulda been more pissed then you. good that you held your emotions

11. Nov 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Sidearms tend to make you hold your emotions inside.

12. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    i think the faults on rhode island. come on, 100 people in a state and they issue the same license plate # to 2 vehicles? i mean come on, you cant expect law enforcement to know rules and by-laws of 50 states. you did good by not snapping and being cooperative.

13. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    LOL!

Having been born and raised in RI, I can assure you it's small in physical size but there are quite a few people (and cars) there. I left (courtesy of the USAF) over 20 years ago but, IIRC, the current population is well-over 1M people. That said, I do not understand the "need" to duplicate vehicle registration numbers either.

14. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Gotta admit, Rhode Island plates in Washington aren't that common. Also, Your rant, while I can understand your frustration... You must admit that regardless of Rhode Islands vehicle requirements you need to be aware of the state you reside are residing in current laws. Washington requires you to register your vehicle within 30 days of moving to WA unless you are military and your residence is another state.

Washington State's DOL page regarding moving to WA.

You need to understand the Border Patrols perspective. Something triggered them on your vehicle and it's your job to figure out what and fix it. Just saying.

15. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Roger, roger.

Again, I understand the Border Patrol's perspective.

Could have cared less about my TWIC. Would not accept it as ID.

16. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    You should of ran and see what would of happened lol nah man thats some freaky shit

17. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    License, registration, and proof of insurance is all they would have got from me. Registration would show the plates are correct, and even if they weren't they would have no justification to search my vehicle and question me about it. If they felt "unsafe" about the possibility of a knife or other weapon INSIDE the vehicle then I would stay outside until they were finished. All they were doing was fishing for something to charge you with, and luckily for you they came up empty. Let them figure out the plate issue for themselves.

18. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Just wondering why you let them search your vehicle without just cause and your first question should have been "What is the problem officer?" It's likely that when they let you go it's because someone discovered their mistake with the license plate and rather than admit an error and say they were sorry for the inconvienience they just let you go like they are doing you a favour.

19. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Personal opinion ICE is out of control and I am retired from a Sheriff dept. They have access to the federal data base and can tell you every thing you have ever done that involved law enforcement (so does any police dept.) don’t know your back ground but if any thing trips their trigger they are off and running. I cross into Canada a lot and the Canadians are just as pleasant as one could ask but coming back is another story. All of this started with homeland security and has gone down hill ever since they need to be better trained and I think in order to fill the ranks they hired people right and left. If some thing bugs them you are immediately guilty and that is some thing that really bugs me. I too have been stopped coming back and had every thing removed from my car and put on the pavement while I stand there with a passport, license, police card and any other piece of paper work I have and they still called the PD where I work to make sure I was who I said I was. The only thing I can suggest is to just smile sweetly and answer their questions exactly as they are asked and offer nothing more breath deep and go on your way.

20. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top