1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horse Slaughter Legal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacokid09, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    CNewell

CNewell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My '09 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hybrid Audio (front and back), Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" Sub, Pioneer 4ch Amp, bridged RE Audio Amp, WeatherTech Digital Fit (front and back), Flyzeye Interior LED, 18" Chrome Moto Metal 951's, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and back), Eibach coils, Light Racing/SPC UCA's, Black Billet Grille (5pc), Hella 500's, Black Diamond Light Bar, Truxedo LoProQT
    When I was stationed in Italy I had horse meat... Nothing to write home about, but thought it was pretty good. I'm not for or against it really... Neutral party here...

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Horses are not bread to slaughter as cattle, chickes etc. are. They are sent to slaughter due to old age or neglect. At least when your dog or cat gets old you "put them down". Why not just send them to China and let them be someone else's meal. Thats basicly what is done with horses. And BTW there are no standards for horse slaughter. No "humane" killing methods are used as with over livestock. They are horrified and surrounded by other dead horses unless they are lucky enough to be the first. If you have never been to a slaughter house go and see one. You wilgain a great deal of respect for not only the people who do that job but the animals as well. Don't misunderstand my stance. I am no vegetarian. Actually I am a chef at a Steakhouse in Denver where I serve 1000's of people weekly. I love a good steak or any other meat. However, it isn't nessecary to abuse the animal in the process.

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    the more and more i read/see about slaughter houses. the more happy I am to be able to catch my own fish. and shoot my own deer :D

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    You must have a very conservative view on "food". You would be amazed at what other people all around the world eat. The United States is far from the world norm. So just because you don't think it's normal, doesn't mean it should be illegal.

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Uh , ya ... like Canada

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Thats pretty true. I've been around and raised all kinds of animals, personally raised market goats and steers. I've been around horses a bit too and they just seem a little smarter or more human than the rest of the animals. This is just a personal experience, but for some reason slaughtering a horse seems worse than slaughtering cattle. And I've never owned a horse but I've had my steer for 10 months out of the year and saw him every day and had plenty of time to get attached to him, yet I still feel like killing a horse is worse

7. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I don't see the problem here. I'd eat horse. Never tried it...maybe it's delicious. Cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens....all kinds of animals are raised and slaughtered. Might not be the best condition at the slaughter houses, but, who cares? They're animals. Meant to be eaten. If they get fed the best corn and brushed every day with a blanket on them at night to sleep, they don't taste any better than one that was tied up and left alone for week then shot in the head. Kill em. Eat em. Be done with it.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is good info. I took a dog into the vet's office once. We went through the back door because she couldn't climb the stairs in the front. The vet had just put a cat to sleep in the back room. That dog FREAKED. Sheer terror.

9. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Pretty sure that in the Canadian horse slaughterhouses the horses come in single file and get zapped .

10. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    Horse the other red meat!!! <---- SIG Quote op

I wonder how pet laws fit in? I know that if you kill a cow and eat it your fine, but if you kill your dog / horse to eat it in a non-emergency situation(not puting it down due to quality life conditions) you go to jail for animal cruelty? What is considered an animal in the face of the law?

[​IMG]

11. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    just saying, over here in saudi arabia, they eat camel. and guess what? its f**king delicious. it tastes kinda like lamb and angel tears

12. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift

bahahahahahahahah :rofl:

13. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    I've seen a camel slaughterhouse video. It consisted of some guy in a rain poncho strolling through a tiled room full of camels, and slitting their throats one by one. Then I got to watch all of the camels fall to the ground and convulse until they died. It was pretty gruesome.

14. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    im not saying any slaughterhouse isnt gruesome, its just how its done, like anything else. quantity over quality. they get shit done fast, and barely within legal standards to make a quick turnaround and make a buck. every country/nation does it

15. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    I had horse meat routinely growing up (in Europe) and it's delicious (and leaner, lower in cholesterol, and healthier than beef). Much better to raise and slaughter an animal humanely for people's consumption, than to turn them into glue and dog food. Or eating beef from cows that never saw the outside of a pen. Cowboys never gave a name to their horses, in case they had to eat them for survival. I know it's hard for most people in the US to conceive of eating horses because of the emotional attachment and cultural significance of the animal (my wife made me swear to never trick her into eating horse meat), but I don't see anything wrong with it.

:crapstorm:

16. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    My vote goes to this ^.

If its for food thenit should be legal, but if its like someone wakes up in the morning and says "I'm going to slaughter my horse" and has no justification for doing it thats when it becomes illegal.

my 2 cents.

17. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    and lets be honest...who the hell wants to eat this shit

[​IMG]

18. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    That's not exactly true. Stressful life conditions lead to accumulation of toxins in the meat, not to mention that animals that live in cramped or unsanitary conditions are much more prone to get sick, which is why they get pumped full of antibiotics that in turn we ingest.

That said, if God didn't want us to eat animals He wouldn't have made them so delicious.

19. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I think it sucks that the government can say what I can eat and what I cannot. It's not like drugs or anything. I would be fine eating a horse. I have eaten all kinds of game and live stock, why not a horse? If it taste good and is not bad for me, I will eat it. I raised a few steers when I was growing up to eat and they were "pets" until D-day, then they were yummy.

20. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    Aside from the god part, I agree with this. The meat tastes much better then the animal gets a lot of exercise which allows the muscles to oxygenate and develop.

Products Discussed in

To Top