1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New way theives are breaking into cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Runnerstrom28, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Runnerstrom28

Runnerstrom28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Decepticon DCLB
    Decepticon emblem, 3inch lift, 33inch trail grapplers and XD series Monster rims, Dual Exaust 40 series flowmasters, 18% tint around and 35% tint on front windsheild, 55w 10000K HIDs, blacked out taillights, pioneer deck, kicker 750 mono amp pushin a memphis 12
    So i heard from a friend that a buddy of his truck was broken into. The cops told him there is no evidence of forced entry but there is a new device "code grabber" which is what was most likely used to break into his car. The police officer told him that a thief uses this "code grabber" when ever people use a remote to lock the door of their car, the code grabber intercepts the code and that way the thief can easily unlock the vehicle.

Has anybody else heard of this?
    I wonder if after market alarms will stop this "code grabber"?

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Yeh it's been used for a long time already! They even use it on people's garage door openers to get in when owners leave

3. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    pretty sure the python 991 I just had installed changes the code everytime so thieves cant use this on it. I think it's called rolling codes or something?

4. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    Garage door openers are way beyond this with 'rolling code' technology.

5. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    tacoma-king

tacoma-king Well-Known Member

Member:
    sault ste. marie Michigan
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma
    hitch
    it been around for a long time hell you used to be able to get one for Jailbroke Iphones.

and it will disarm your alarm if it arms and disarms with the same code that locks and unlocks your car door

6. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Just letting the op know that this is old stuff, that is why they have rolling codes from this type of devises

7. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    From Viper's technology website:

SuperCodeSuperCode is the technology that defines the functionality of the Responder LE and the intelligence that drives its advanced features. Its protocol encompasses software-based system signal encryption (replacing hardware-based Clone Safe Code-Hopping). Multi-car operation is designed into the SuperCode protocol, so users will have all of the possible operations for two cars controllable by one remote. 2-way confirmations and notifications of many different events and commands have been designed into SuperCode, so all SuperCode-enabled 2-way systems can tell the user more about their vehicle than any other system on the market.

8. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    In military communication it's called frequency hopping. They've been using that for about 30 years now.

9. Dec 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I miss my old mechanical locks. ;)

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Runnerstrom28

Runnerstrom28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Decepticon DCLB
    Decepticon emblem, 3inch lift, 33inch trail grapplers and XD series Monster rims, Dual Exaust 40 series flowmasters, 18% tint around and 35% tint on front windsheild, 55w 10000K HIDs, blacked out taillights, pioneer deck, kicker 750 mono amp pushin a memphis 12
    thanks guys! I had no idea this had been around for that long!! I was already looking into a viper alarm for my christmas present anyways lol

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top