1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toys For Tots, Faith In Humanity restored today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Surferdude, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Had to share this.

I just joined the Marine Corps League last month, lonnnnnnng overdue.

One of the primary missions of the MCL is supporting the Toys For Tots annual drive. So, I volunteered to go hang out at a Walmart and bug people for money. Honestly, I wasn't looking forward to it. I'm sick of being bugged by Salvation Army folks every time I go to the grocery store. So I was expecting the same kind of reaction from the shoppers.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The Wal Mart I went to is in a poorer area, Waukegan for those that live here. Which is what made today even more amazing. There were two groups of us Marines stationed inside past each entrance, active duty Marines in Dress Blues and us MCL guys in our red covers(hats) and red shirts.

I couldn't get over the types of people that were willing to donate, on scooters, with canes, elderly and feeble, urban gang-banging looking, teenagers and on and on. We were thanked for our service, while we thanked them for their generosity. I said Merry Christmas more times than I can remember and received the same well wishes in kind. Screw Happy F'n Holidays, it's friggin Christmas or else!

I also got to meet a few of the folks that would be recipients of these very toys, asking how to register their kid, or one clever mom pointing to her child when I mentioned these toys were going to some lucky kids.

Just one of many heart warming anecdotes from today. A woman comes in to shop for only a few items and asks if she can donate cash or toys. We say both, of course. She puts a $20 in our box and then went shopping. Thirty or so minutes later she comes back with almost a cartful of toys, probably a dozen. She left with only a small shopping bag for herself.

We brought in hundreds of dollars and dozens of toys for needy kids.

Folks, I too have become jaded these days, watching the videos of crazy shoppers fighting each other for $2 waffles, or occupying and defaming public parks.

Today, I saw one of the many things that makes America, America. People freely, happily giving gifts and/or money, people without much themselves. Americans expressing their gratitude towards our military and pride in being Americans.

Anyway, I'll end this long post for now. I'm still quite moved by today's experience. I'll be out there again next weekend, taking my daughter with me too.

Semper Fi

2. Dec 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Awesome. It's nice to hear about this stuff once in awhile so you know that the country isn't a complete shithole these days. Still good people out there.

We actually had a a "Secret Santa" going around the downtown of the city near here(recently ranked the poorest in the country) and gave $100 bills out to random needy people. Guy gave out a total of $20,000.

Products Discussed in

To Top