1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

By Popular Demand: Occupy Davis - The Truth

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackhawke88, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    eviele

eviele Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree. It was provocative and threatening to the police and after watching the whole video I'm impressed with how well the police handled it.

It still doesn't play well when armed police engage with unarmed civilians.
    The cops are in a quandry for sure. Verbal threats aren't enough. Sitting in the road aren't enough. The threats to the police need to be greater before they're exonerated for acting in the court of public opinion.

My $.02

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Is that what the whole movement is about? I was hoping that it was more than that, like the corporate quest for profit over all or something meaningful. F'ing stupid.

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    they need to stop labeling generations with letters "X gen" "Y gen"

the current phase of protests are populated by the "self-entitlement" generation.

IMHO

4. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    about .1% of them are protesting about the rich that evade taxes....I think

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    I love it when indignant hippie kids get pepper sprayed in the face.

6. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so shouting "F#$% the Police" while doing all of those things isn't enough?

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    I'm with the officers, even before seeing this extended video.

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Still dumb.

9. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    The Occupiers in San Francisco\Oakland have had the balls to compare themselves to the Civil Rights Protesters in 50's......Am I the only one who absolutely loves seeing the "children" get hit with the pepper spray? God I love watching that!

10. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    At the risk of getting this thread locked, I'll answer.

1. Elimination of the Bush-era tax cuts.
    -- We have wars to fund and need the revenue. We are in the midst of the longest sustained period of wartime activity in the history of the US. Longer than WWII. Also, giving money to wealthy individuals has no effect on the businesses they run. Increased business activity prompts hiring and job growth, not cash in the pocket of the business owner.

2. Re-institution of the provisions of the Glass-Steagall act that were repealed in 1999.
    -- Glass-Steagall went into effect after the crash of 1929 which brought about the Great Depression and was meant to avoid having the same thing happen again. It was repealed, with the expected results. Among other things, the required separation of deposit institutions and investment banks was eliminated. This opened the doors for banks to gamble with customer deposit funds. One is FDIC insured while the other is not, but the lines are currently blurred and the investment banks are getting federal funds meant to insure deposits.

3. Repeal of all provisions of the Patriot Act.
    -- The Constitution is not just a piece of paper.

4. Dissolution of the TSA.
    -- 60,000+ member drain on an already faltering government budget that tramples the 4th Amendment.

It is not about "I want what he has!"
    It is "I want my rights as guaranteed by the Constitution and a level playing field to chase the American dream."

It's a shame that nobody with a microphone in their face is capable of articulating an argument.

11. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    eviele

eviele Well-Known Member

Member:
    No. Sadly.
    And to be clear, I'm just talking about the court of public opinion.
    If the officers didn't do anything then maybe the news channels would have to play the chants of F the police for their news story. That might have swayed public opinion. Or maybe they wouldn't play anything on the news at all. Not a fair shake for the cops.

But once you pepper spray an unarmed civilian it's up above the news anchors shoulder when the story is being told. No matter how unbiased the story that image is what lots of people will form their opinion on.

12. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    The police showed way more restraint than I could have. Any one who does follow orders given by the police deserve there heads cracked open.

13. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    slightly off topic, but the pressure of "education with a degree" is doing it's part in the economy and the "classing" of citizens.

this country was not founded on people who..... i think you can figure out the rest.

Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs host and "skilled labor" advocate) has been trying to shine a light on this for some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3h_pp8CHEQ0

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2011/05/mike-rowes-oral-testimony-to-the-senate-commerce-committee/
    http://impact.discovery.com/press/testimony-mike-rowe-us-senate-committee-commerce-s/

14. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    alexretama

alexretama Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    it sucks how the police get such a bad rap just because the news needs something to say!! I knew something was up.. you dont just mace someone for the hell of it.. under no circumstances should anyone ever even think about trying to free someone who has been arrested. They were all surprized to get maced because they thought it was a game but they should have known police in riot gear DONT PLAY GAMES!!! Im all for their movement being a college student myself but this is not the way to go about it.. the bastards were lucky to not have gotten the shit beat out of them with a baton.

15. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    i think it shows how effed up our media is too

they do nothing but lie to us, and yes i consider withholding info to be lying when portrayed in that manor. i hate im considered part of that generation, kids now a days are just lazy, they want the easiest least amount of work to be done possible way of making money. get off your ass and go work. its not handed out to you on a silver platter

16. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    This is exactly what the movement started as (except I'd never heard the TSA part).

But like you said, the Occupy movements can't seem to get a decent spokesperson in front of the camera to articulate this properly. Part of that is disorganization, part of it is the media's insistence on running the more ignorant sound bites they get (it's the "the tornado sounded like a freight train" philosophy of ratings-grab).

Many people are angry because they are doing what they can to carve out a little piece of the American Dream by getting an education and trying to get a decent job so they can CONSUME, but the 1% gives them a gigantic shitburger to eat in the form of unemployment so they can afford another yacht.

17. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    amen.

another Mike Rowe observation of Americas relationship with "work"

@ 5:26 is the meat of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Qo-cUZ2aRKc

18. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I don't understand your statement.

To take an extreme example, DNA evidence disproving a guilty verdict in a rape case should be ignored and the non-perpetrator should remain in jail simply because he was arrested in the first place?

19. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I don't thing he means in a judicial arena, but rather out on the street

If an officer places someone under arrest, you can yourself, accrue charges for attempting to free said person who is in custody

IE Aiding/Abetting Escape

20. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Thank you Mike. I can certainly understand the validity of all of those points. I. like you, wish that someone would get that message out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top