1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Generator owners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by surfsupl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    We are currently looking for a good generator for our home after the power outage in SoCal. I have been doing some research but their is so much information overload in my brain now. I don't know to go with a whole house generator or buy a good Honda or Yamaha gas powered generator or even a Generac propane/natural gas run generator.. Would definitely have to run a sub-zero and a few other things. Another key thing I want is quiet.

Anyone have any input? Pro's cons?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m8UN1UYZVV4H5/ref=ent_fb_link

2. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Currently have a Kohler Natural Gas Generator hooked up into the house, only been used once so far since install but very pleased, almost immediate response, and it tests/starts up for an hour once a week. And it sits on the side of the house and doesn't standout really at all.

3. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  4. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Yea those are called inverter generators if I remember right

5. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:

Do you have a model number or specs? How much did it run if I may ask?

6. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I can find it all when I get home shortly, I'll PM you over the info.

7. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

8. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    First you gotta decide what you want to run. Ususally it is cheaper for the fewer things you want to run and you will need extension cords from the product to a multi plug in from the generator. If memory serves me correctly you should only plan on using 70% of the power you plan on using or you could do damage to the power plant (generator). If you want an entire house then your telling me you want to run a/c, heat and the whole shebang and that is a big generator that you will probably need to go commericial in buying. For me (I live in Ga.) I would probably start with the biggest "Honda" (very quiet and I've had several of those) or look at a Kubota or Kohler. Gas or diesel----you gotta car that burns gas you would probably want to go with gas so you can rotate your fuel and keep it fresh. That's where I would start then decide where to go from there. Size is the biggie and what you want to run is the big question!

9. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I need to sit down w/the family and really see what's important and what is not. I don't know if I would rather store gas on the property for it or go the propane rounte. I dont think I would have to switch out the propane as much,but then again I need to read up on propane as well

10. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Go with the Honda EU models, those are the quiet ones and their awesome! we got the biggest quiets one Honda made, the eu6500 and we love it. We use it for back up power just in case the electric goes out, it powers our whole house no problem, we can have all the TV`s and lights on and the idle hardly goes up. Washing machine then you hear it rev up, but the dryer...... then you really hear it kick in but other then that the house is no problem for it.

We to were looking into pro`s and con`s of generators and for us the Honda was the one, plus its not a stationary unit so if you need it for other then back up power you can roll it away and take it where you need power unlike traditional back up gens that are fixed objects and are only for emergency. Although the Honda is heavy the 6500 has a wheel kit that comes with it so it makes moving easier, now carrying it............... it FREAKIN HEAVY YOU NEED 2 PEOPLE!

If your going to spend money and a lot of money why not spend money on something that you can use in multiple ways. The honda is super quiet so neighbors(if any) or you, dont have to hear a regular gen roaring at 1-2am

11. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Oh yeah one more thing, we have the generator hook up to a transfer switch, so no cords or anything, this means that our house is powered just as if it was hook up to utilities. 3 position switch, on off on. On is the electric company, off well if off lol and on is the generator, hope this helps!

12. Dec 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Products Discussed in

To Top