1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I passed this guy in a Honda...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jackhart, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    jackhart

jackhart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    Long story, but curious if anyone has ever had something similar happen to them.

Cliff notes version - pass a guy, he tries to speed up to prevent me from passing, gets pissed I passed him, tailgates me for a while, tries to pass me, can't, then disappears down another road and I don't see him again.

Here's the details if you want to read it. Driving home after a few days of business in NYC today, long drive maybe 5 hours with traffic. Last part of the drive was dark, was itching to get home. Two lane country road, 24 miles long, most of it runs next to a lake, lots of short places to pass, farms, horses, you get the picture.

So I'm clipping along, and I come upon some beater Honda, doing maybe 5 - 7 mph under the speed limit. No way am I staying behind this guy for 22 miles. I didn't even hesitate when I saw the first set of dotted yellow lines. Signal, move left to pass, and - you all know the drill, hell I subconsciously knew what was going to happen before it even happened - the guy tries to speed up and not let me pass, right?

Except, he is in a beater Honda with the coffee can exhaust, and I've already pegged it when I signaled my pass because I've been driving for a very long time and, as mentioned, I already anticipated what was coming. I don't blow his doors off, exactly, and I do pass him, but he's doing his best to make it as difficult for me as possible. Asshole. But I can tell he's totally pissed that I just passed him. I signal back over to the right, and of course, now the guy's going to tailgate me for the next 22 miles. Wtf?

I just kind of pretend he's not there for a while watching him fuming while he's just off my bumper, tap my brakes a couple of times without letting off the accelerator just to back him off a little bit. Which is ineffective. I don't understand this mentality, but I've seen it too many times, even on 4 line highways - some people just cannot stand to be passed, regardless of how fast or slow they are driving. They seem to take it personally. They will speed up just so you can't pass them. Bottom line, if you don't like getting passed, then speed the %$&* up in the first place, OK? I won't try to pass you if you are going as fast as me, I promise.

So now riding my bumper, he veers around a few times to try and pass, but his car just isn't powerful enough to get enough momentum, given the rate of speed I am travelling, and the available passing distances involved. I am not speeding up at this point, by the way, like he did to me, I am just doing a constant - but quick - rate of speed. If he had maybe a half mile straightaway, he could have easily gone by me, and I certainly would have let him. But he did not and could not given the speed we were already going, the relatively short passing lanes, hills and what not.

At some point, I started to worry that this guy was perhaps really insane and might do harm to me and so I decided at the next opportunity I would really slow down and let him pass, but then I figured if he was then ahead of me, he would probably try to slam on his brakes and get me to rear end him, just because he was in a beater and I was in a new truck. I contemplated what I was going to do next, when he decided for me...he took a turn and just disappeared down another road. One second he was behind me, the next he was gone. Never saw him again.

2. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Happens to me all the time, but I have rear lights to make them back off my ass.

3. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    I would've done the same thing, lol.

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I like winter time driving for situations like this. Get onto the shoulder or in the center a little. The gravel all over the road is now all over his car...

5. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a guy be a dumbass shortly after i got my '99 taco. He pulled that crap and actually tried to run me off the road 3 times. I was soooooooo pissed off. Then he had the nerve to call the cops on me. It was actually a good thing. The cop stopped me from following him and beating the S*&^ out of him. The cop told me he had reports of me driving wrecklessly. I asked him how am I the one being wreckless when i'm the one being run off the road. He had be blow in the breathalizer, i blew 0's and he let me go.

The only time in my life where i let someone push me completely over the edge. Being pulled over was the best thing to happen to me.

6. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    broken taco

broken taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego / Houston
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5 4WD
    Trail gear 3 Link Solid Axle Swap kit, 14 " Fox coil overs with reservoirs up front, Chevy 63 leaf spring swap with ruff stuffs Chevy 63 swap kit, 14 "Fox shocks on the rear, 37" tires, Custom front bumper by Next Venture Motor Sports with a warn winch, glassworks unlimited fender flares, custom rock rails with kickups (modeled after Relentless Fab Rock sliders), rear bumper from streetacos.com (with custom rap around protection for fiberglass fenders and the hitch receiver hidden behind the license plate that is on hinges), HID off road lights on front bumper, rigid pods on rear bumper with red back lighting, high lift mounted in the bed, onboard air, Flowmaster muffler, aftermarket air intake, alarm system, Alpine Deck, Alpine amp, Alpine speakers, JL W6 12" subwoofer, JL amp.
    or just use your windshield wipers and the windshield fluid will fly off the top of your truck and hit his car and make him have to use his windshield wipers. i do that when someone is tailgating me and they slow down everytime.

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i used to downshift and not hit the brakes. That will scare the crap out of them every time.

8. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

This.

9. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    MontanaMtnTaco

MontanaMtnTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma, 3.4, OME lifted
    OME HD lift, Renegade wheels, Treadwright tires, Streetflow exhaust.
    That shit happens all the time here in Montana. One time I passed a guy who was going 45mph in a 70. The asshole sped up and by the time I got around him I was doing almost 80. Then, the next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and for some reason the guy I passed pulls over too. I explained the story to the cop who said he had actually watched the whole thing happen and just wanted to hear what my story was. He let me go and then went and gave a ticket to the 80 year old douche in the other car.

Never had anything like that happen again but still every so often when I pass people they speed up so I usually do a brake check followed by a middle finger out my drivers window!

10. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Montana drivers suck....

11. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    YouNext

YouNext General Calamari

Member:
    San Diego
    K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust, Doug Thorley Headers, URD pulley, Stoptech Cryo-treated Slotted Rotors, Deaver J59, Bilstein 5150s, Total Chaos LT (w/Spindle & Tower Gussets), Icon LT C/Os.
    Phase 1: Invest in Steel tube bumper.
    Phase 2: Nerf jackas$es that won't let you pass.
    Phase 3: Profit.

12. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    All the time....And its always some dude driving a jetta. I swear everytime I go to pass a jetta in the fast lane, its a dude, and he ALWAYS speeds up. Im not here to prove my truck would rip the shit out of your crappy jetta, but just speed up so I dont have to change lanes. Assholes

13. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used to have the same thing happen to me a lot going to my last job. Two lane winding road for 34 miles, speed limit 65. People are daydreaming and going 50 and you pass them, and they get pissed. Nothing to do but ignore the morons of the world and not be reduced to their level.

14. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    When someone is tailing me and being an a-hole I hit the brakes HARD

Scares the shit out of them and they usually stop. If not I turn on the rear lights so they are forced to back off.

15. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    steiger33

steiger33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    The best thing is have an extra windshield washer sprayer mounted under the rear bump and fill the resevoir with oil. when some jack @ss tailgates me they get a nice windshield full of oil they stop real quick.
    Another trick we used to use when riding crotch rockets we would carry pockets full of broken spark plugs. I think you get the idea from there. I always thought it was alot scarier when so @ss would mess with us on the bikes. Sorry but bikes versus cars not a good mix car always wins in carnage standards...

16. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Haha. I always pass people who drive Honda's.

17. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    had a guy be a total jerk off this morning. My commute to work is all highway driving, its divided highway so no issues with oncoming. But this morning this chevy truck is doing 120 km/hr in the right lane, so no point in passing him. I'm not tailgating him at all, good distance no issues. Now he cannot maintain speed, so I pull out to pass him. He then speeds up, flips me off and puts on his high beams........ so whatever, I give it a little gas, get ahead of him. About 5 km down the road he turns off.... WTF are some people thinking?

18. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    DPR921

DPR921 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Cheshire, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 2.7
    Lets just say.. your lucky VTEC didn't hit.......

19. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I always wondered what i'd do if I had to deal with a fuck knuckle like the OP did, especially if dipshit passed me and slammed on his brakes to get me to rear-end him.

I'd have a hell of a time not dropping his dumb ass, and asking Siri the closest location of a metal foundry/reservoir/pig farm/dump.

20. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm with you guys. I love winter time tailgaters, just drift to one side of the lane and you effectively sand blast their car if they're too close.

Products Discussed in

To Top