LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

So I passed this guy in a Honda...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
So I passed this guy in a Honda...

Long story, but curious if anyone has ever had something similar happen to them.

Cliff notes version - pass a guy, he tries to speed up to prevent me from passing, gets pissed I passed him, tailgates me for a while, tries to pass me, can't, then disappears down another road and I don't see him again.

Here's the details if you want to read it. Driving home after a few days of business in NYC today, long drive maybe 5 hours with traffic. Last part of the drive was dark, was itching to get home. Two lane country road, 24 miles long, most of it runs next to a lake, lots of short places to pass, farms, horses, you get the picture.

So I'm clipping along, and I come upon some beater Honda, doing maybe 5 - 7 mph under the speed limit. No way am I staying behind this guy for 22 miles. I didn't even hesitate when I saw the first set of dotted yellow lines. Signal, move left to pass, and - you all know the drill, hell I subconsciously knew what was going to happen before it even happened - the guy tries to speed up and not let me pass, right?

Except, he is in a beater Honda with the coffee can exhaust, and I've already pegged it when I signaled my pass because I've been driving for a very long time and, as mentioned, I already anticipated what was coming. I don't blow his doors off, exactly, and I do pass him, but he's doing his best to make it as difficult for me as possible. Asshole. But I can tell he's totally pissed that I just passed him. I signal back over to the right, and of course, now the guy's going to tailgate me for the next 22 miles. Wtf?

I just kind of pretend he's not there for a while watching him fuming while he's just off my bumper, tap my brakes a couple of times without letting off the accelerator just to back him off a little bit. Which is ineffective. I don't understand this mentality, but I've seen it too many times, even on 4 line highways - some people just cannot stand to be passed, regardless of how fast or slow they are driving. They seem to take it personally. They will speed up just so you can't pass them. Bottom line, if you don't like getting passed, then speed the %$&* up in the first place, OK? I won't try to pass you if you are going as fast as me, I promise.

So now riding my bumper, he veers around a few times to try and pass, but his car just isn't powerful enough to get enough momentum, given the rate of speed I am travelling, and the available passing distances involved. I am not speeding up at this point, by the way, like he did to me, I am just doing a constant - but quick - rate of speed. If he had maybe a half mile straightaway, he could have easily gone by me, and I certainly would have let him. But he did not and could not given the speed we were already going, the relatively short passing lanes, hills and what not.

At some point, I started to worry that this guy was perhaps really insane and might do harm to me and so I decided at the next opportunity I would really slow down and let him pass, but then I figured if he was then ahead of me, he would probably try to slam on his brakes and get me to rear end him, just because he was in a beater and I was in a new truck. I contemplated what I was going to do next, when he decided for me...he took a turn and just disappeared down another road. One second he was behind me, the next he was gone. Never saw him again.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Happens to me all the time, but I have rear lights to make them back off my ass.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I like winter time driving for situations like this. Get onto the shoulder or in the center a little. The gravel all over the road is now all over his car...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
I had a guy be a dumbass shortly after i got my '99 taco. He pulled that crap and actually tried to run me off the road 3 times. I was soooooooo pissed off. Then he had the nerve to call the cops on me. It was actually a good thing. The cop stopped me from following him and beating the S*&^ out of him. The cop told me he had reports of me driving wrecklessly. I asked him how am I the one being wreckless when i'm the one being run off the road. He had be blow in the breathalizer, i blew 0's and he let me go.

The only time in my life where i let someone push me completely over the edge. Being pulled over was the best thing to happen to me.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken taco View Post
or just use your windshield wipers and the windshield fluid will fly off the top of your truck and hit his car and make him have to use his windshield wipers. i do that when someone is tailgating me and they slow down everytime.
i used to downshift and not hit the brakes. That will scare the crap out of them every time.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I like winter time driving for situations like this. Get onto the shoulder or in the center a little. The gravel all over the road is now all over his car...

This.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
MontanaMtnTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
MontanaMtnTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That shit happens all the time here in Montana. One time I passed a guy who was going 45mph in a 70. The asshole sped up and by the time I got around him I was doing almost 80. Then, the next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and for some reason the guy I passed pulls over too. I explained the story to the cop who said he had actually watched the whole thing happen and just wanted to hear what my story was. He let me go and then went and gave a ticket to the 80 year old douche in the other car.

Never had anything like that happen again but still every so often when I pass people they speed up so I usually do a brake check followed by a middle finger out my drivers window!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMtnTaco View Post
That shit happens all the time here in Montana. One time I passed a guy who was going 45mph in a 70. The asshole sped up and by the time I got around him I was doing almost 80. Then, the next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and for some reason the guy I passed pulls over too. I explained the story to the cop who said he had actually watched the whole thing happen and just wanted to hear what my story was. He let me go and then went and gave a ticket to the 80 year old douche in the other car.

Never had anything like that happen again but still every so often when I pass people they speed up so I usually do a brake check followed by a middle finger out my drivers window!
Montana drivers suck....
Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
See if the Honda guy had a massive Autogauge tach and VTEC controller you would have been in trouble.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
General Calamari
YouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YouNext's Tacoma Gallery
Phase 1: Invest in Steel tube bumper.
Phase 2: Nerf jackas$es that won't let you pass.
Phase 3: Profit.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Thinking of something clever
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
dad32509's Tacoma Gallery
All the time....And its always some dude driving a jetta. I swear everytime I go to pass a jetta in the fast lane, its a dude, and he ALWAYS speeds up. Im not here to prove my truck would rip the shit out of your crappy jetta, but just speed up so I dont have to change lanes. Assholes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have the same thing happen to me a lot going to my last job. Two lane winding road for 34 miles, speed limit 65. People are daydreaming and going 50 and you pass them, and they get pissed. Nothing to do but ignore the morons of the world and not be reduced to their level.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
steiger33 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
steiger33's Tacoma Gallery
The best thing is have an extra windshield washer sprayer mounted under the rear bump and fill the resevoir with oil. when some jack @ss tailgates me they get a nice windshield full of oil they stop real quick.
Another trick we used to use when riding crotch rockets we would carry pockets full of broken spark plugs. I think you get the idea from there. I always thought it was alot scarier when so @ss would mess with us on the bikes. Sorry but bikes versus cars not a good mix car always wins in carnage standards...
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Haha. I always pass people who drive Honda's.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
had a guy be a total jerk off this morning. My commute to work is all highway driving, its divided highway so no issues with oncoming. But this morning this chevy truck is doing 120 km/hr in the right lane, so no point in passing him. I'm not tailgating him at all, good distance no issues. Now he cannot maintain speed, so I pull out to pass him. He then speeds up, flips me off and puts on his high beams........ so whatever, I give it a little gas, get ahead of him. About 5 km down the road he turns off.... WTF are some people thinking?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
DPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dylan
DPR921's Tacoma Gallery
Lets just say.. your lucky VTEC didn't hit.......
Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I always wondered what i'd do if I had to deal with a fuck knuckle like the OP did, especially if dipshit passed me and slammed on his brakes to get me to rear-end him.

I'd have a hell of a time not dropping his dumb ass, and asking Siri the closest location of a metal foundry/reservoir/pig farm/dump.