Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Interest in Flashlights... Where to begin?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Interest in Flashlights... Where to begin?

I'm interested in purchasing a survival type flashlight that would be in my truck at all times.

Price cap is ~100 dollars, right now I have my eyes on the Fenix TK11 R5... but hey, what do I know?

Any good reads out there for flashlights that you guys know of?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
www.candlepowerforums.com is my best friend when it comes to lights (flashlights that is)

i really like the lineups for 4seven lights
4sevens makes great, great lights. i looked for a usa company that was comparable to fenix (chinese), and 4sevens kept coming up. the reviews on 4sevens are stellar. as soon as i get a few bucks saved up, one of their lights is going in my truck. the hard part is deciding which one.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Murman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Murman's Tacoma Gallery
$100 can buy you several quality flashlights. Spend some time on BudgetLightForum.com. The guys there helped me choose a great little led torch for work that cost me less than $20!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Thanks for all the quick responses guys, I will start looking into the links and manufacturers provided!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
tamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tamer
tamer's Tacoma Gallery
5.11 just came out with the ATAC series, I just bought the A2, I love it, for the price it's a great light, fits nicely in my pocket for everyday carry too. They just had a 20% off special on 5.11 too, keep looking they will probably have some other deal soon..Check it out:

5.11 Tactical ATAC Series - LA Police Gear
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i just got an ATAC for my neighbor. she is a rancher with a maglight. i thought she needed an upgrade. i got an streamlight for myself. same AA batteries.

here is my take. for an emergency car light you need the CR123 batteries. they last a very long time on the shelf. a AA would die much sooner, especially sitting in a hot car. i vote surefire G3 nitrolon. about $60 and will vaporize the darkness.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My pick is Streamlight, tasklight. Good run time on just double A batteries and I think theyre a 1w led. I beat the hell out of mine and they are all still awesome. My advice is buy something with double A battery power. Theyre everywhere, and relatively cheap. Batteries like cr123 are alright and do better in cold weather, but are spendy, and dont last as long.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2 nitecore d11 leds they are wicked man!

the size of a roll of dimes yet put out over 200 lumens on 1 aa battery. full ramping adjustability of the brightness from a moon light setting that lasts over 100 hours to full brightness which is shocking. strobe and sos modes and the pd switch a piston driven switch that basically makes the flash light as intuitive and weather proof as possible.

there is even a spot on the back side on the light where the pd switch is to epoxy a tritium tube so the switch can be seen in complete darkness. i have had them for over a year now and they rock man very tough and full of features and they use one single aa battery thats cheap and easy to find.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I got the TK11 R5. For 100 bucks, you can get a couple 18650 batteries, and a charger too. Its a dam good light!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Mag light!!! Ftw!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I really like Streamlights. Check out Galls.com for a bunch of other options.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
mag lite

I converted on of my maglights to a burning laser. Works pretty well
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
www.candlepowerforums.com is my best friend when it comes to lights (flashlights that is)

i really like the lineups for 4seven lights
X2

I've spent way too much money on flashlights the last couple of years. Streamlight gets my vote for quality and value.

As far as what's in the truck all the time? 2D maglite with led conversion from maglite. Had the light forever, just converted it a year or two ago. I have purposely left it on for 24 hours just to see if it would last and it did. Not a whole ton of light, but the long run time is why it's in the truck. That and I like the weight of it in my hand if I have to be out changing a tire or something in the dark. I change the batteries once a year just for reliability. I also have a Pelican Recoil LED in the truck. 4AAS, something like 16 hours battery life. More of a handy size. Brighter than the maglight, but it's all relative.

You'll find that after you buy a few lights with the newer technology and beam patterns, a fullsize maglite starts to look dim. Funny since I spent so many years thinking they were the brightest thing out there.