1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gutter Guys...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeremy_283, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I had a reputable company come out to my house the other day to install gutters. They installed them ontop of (in front of) the drip edge. I questioned it but was like "whatever" they said if any water ever leaks behind it just give them a call cause they do guarantee their work and said they've never charged for a service call in the 20 or so years they've been in business. I also just spent a long hard 6 months redoing all my fascia board and some of the 2x4s behind it. Painted with Valspar Duramax. I suppose my question for now is- if any water does ever get in behind that gutter will it rot the fascia cause I know acrylic latex is a relatively new paint correct? Oh and I put 5 coats of it on their too :D

3 coats on in the garage (completely wrapping the entire board) and then 2 more once it was on the house... to be clear :D

If anyone has anything else to comment on I welcome that too....

2. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    not a roofing expert here,.. but i'd suspect that the roof should effectively be "flashed" over the back edge of the gutter, ..i.e. the shingles extend over and atop the back edge?...

3. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Yea, the shingles extend past

4. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'll double check my house, I just redid the gutters and roof with some experienced help and I believe the drip edge should drain into the gutter. I agree with wiley, there shouldn't be a way that water can back up and get under the shingles although if you get an ice dam it would get under there anyways... They were probably being lazy and although they warranty their work, who wants the headache of water damage. Be careful also, some contractors may warranty THEIR work, not the damage caused by their incompetence. Most likely it will probably be fine as far as water getting into the house as long as you have an ice and water shield on the roof (which should have been installed when the roof was put on), you can stop water from getting behind the gutter by using a sealant along the top of the gutter.

5. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Better Business Bureau :yay:

Also, if gutters were put up before the roof I suspect the gutters are then behind the drip edge. If put up after the roof I suspect it may be different....for my house: seeing their style of hidden hangers though, it would have been difficult I suspect to install behind the drip edge.

Products Discussed in

To Top