1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tony Romo's Gift to a Homeless Man

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by neontrail, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    neontrail

neontrail [OP] ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    The Dallas Morning News reported a heartwarming story today, for all of us sports fans:

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark Theatre in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. He planned to spend his day passing out fliers and accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the worker behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc, who requested that his real name not be used, hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out fliers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, Role Model had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his friend. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo -- who made news by changing a couple's tire on a roadside on the way home the night of the season opener -- it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."

2. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    awesome story neon

3. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM
    awymore997

awymore997 Quitting is for Quitters

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab TRD OFRD 6 speed
    Very Cool!

This is one of the reasons im a big Romo Fan

4. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Badass dude! that's why he's my Fantasy Quarterback!!!
    Seriously, I wish more people could be like that.

5. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Nice to know that these this kind of thing still goes one. Because all you hear on the news is "A guy stopped to help a stranger change a tire. While changing said tire, he made a small scratch on the fender. The stranger has now been sued for damages and pain and suffering. The plaitiff is asking for $1.7M."

Or

"A guy stopped to help a stranger change a tire. While changing said tire, he was beaten over the head with a tire iron and robbed/murdered."

6. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    Tacoma02TRD

Tacoma02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walla Walla WA/ Klamath Falls OR
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    3inch Revtech lift,Flowmaster Muffler, K&N cold air intake, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns, TRD stock locker, Hella 500 Fog lights, Scanguage II, 6k HIDs, Painted Black Rims
    Its good to know that money doesn't corrupt everyone. Good story man:thumbsup:

7. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    And he gets to bang this!
    [​IMG]

8. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I did something similar for a homeless guy recently. He was also named Doc. He was standing outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken asking for spare change. I said, "How about I just buy you a dinner?" He said he would just order off the $0.99 menu. I told him not to worry about it and to get whatever he wanted. So he ordered a chicken strips dinner. The guy was totally jazzed. I mentioned that our church hands out free clothes and food, no sermon required, and pointed it out to him. As I was leaving I heard him telling people in the KFC "that guy just bought me dinner." It cost me very little and made his day.

9. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Very cool!

10. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    last christmas i was driving back to my apt from my parents house and i stopped to get a mt dew and some gas...there was a guy with no legs sitting outside the store...wasnt begging or anything...just kind of hanging out...

when i went inside to buy my dew i asked if i could buy him a coffee or anything to keep him warm...

at first he declined...saying he didnt like begging...but i persisted as he was shivering...so i bought him the biggest coffee the gas station had...

we stood there and talked for a few minutes about football (turned out he was a big clemson fan too)

at some point during the conversation he mentioned that his friend was supposed to pick him up there about an hour beforehand and hadnt showed...

i asked him where he lived and it happened to be on my route home and only 5 minutes away...so i helped him into the bed of my truck and took him home

im not usually one for doing that kind of charity work...because...well...like mentioned...its really risky these days...but what an incredible feeling to know that someone TRUELY appreciated something you had done for them

i still stop at that gas station on a regular basis but i havent seen the guy since...he didnt seem to be in the best health at the time...but i often wonder where he is and how he's doing

11. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    cmytacoma

cmytacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    Eclipse AVN 6620, Diamond audio 4.5" component in kicks, center channel with same mid and 2 tweets, infinity kappa perfect component 6.1 in front doors, kappa 6.1 coax in rear, sx900.4, fosgate power 1000, 06 L7 in ported box. BHLM, custom made sliders,
    People and stories like this actually renew your faith in humanity. Especially around the holidays it's always nice to see people giving to help a cause and NOT doing it just for the recognition that follows. It's amazing how a little generosity can mean the world to someone less fortunate.
    My co worker last year a couple days after christmas walked past a sale rack of coats over 75% off . It gave him a brilliant idea to start a coats for the cold drive in our community. He purchased all that were left, almost 30 coats for $240. He donated them all to different organizations around the community anonymously. This year he personally paid to put up a website, buy a laptop and started to lay the foundation for this to spread, not to help only our community, but for others to apply this themselves as well, each in their own way. This was a car salesman who some thought was a scrooge but has a heart of gold. he never even had an email address or knew how to run windows prior to this and now has financed and learned and run everything and has never asked for anything in return. If there were more people like this in all of our communities there would be a few more smiles and a lot less cold days. www.coatsforthecold.org if interested pass it on

12. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    You helped him to the "BED" of your truck??? lol

That is the funniest thing i have ever heard....HA HA

I was expecting something like...I helped him in the front seat and we talked about Clemson all the way to his house, or even, I helped the guy up in the cab, dropped him off and he thanked me...

But instead, I read....I helped the guy in the bed of my truck....HA...Funny stuff man...I guess it just caught me off guard...

13. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    had i been able to he wouldve ridden in the cab...but as it were...i had a ton of junk that my parents were making me take from their house to my apt because they were tired of keeping it...

14. Nov 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i hate the cowboys because TO is such a fucking dick but Romo just helped them save face in my eyes. I love stories where famous\rich people actually turn out cool instead of the uselss ass's most of them are. Sounds like a good man as well as a good QB

15. Nov 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i can honestly say i'm not at all jealous. she is so stupid i cant find her attractive. i've tried and it's just not there. when i see her in movies i cringe and suddenly find myself very angry. she is so freaking stupid!

thats awesome

i have only given money to a bum once and it was because he didnt ask. my first gf use to work downtown and i didnt like her getting off alone at night so i'd drive down and wait for her outside the coffee shop. while i was sitting on the bench waiting one night a bum came up and sat down. i was like "great, now i get to hear how he ran out of gas and needs money but will mail me a check or whatever" but he just sat there and started talking about the weather. then a motrocycle pulled up and started commenting on how he hated those things cause they were loud and dangerous. we sat and talked for about 5 minutes. when i got up to walk my gf to her car i was expecting him to ask for some change but he just said to have a good night and just sat there hanging out. so i gave him 5 bucks (it was all i had on me) and told him to have a good night. i hate begging and i hate sob stories but i have no problem being charitable, i just dont want to be bugged or guilted into it. that was the only bum i have ever given money to

16. Nov 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I dont appreciate being called a "bum".

LOL

17. Nov 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM
    awymore997

awymore997 Quitting is for Quitters

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab TRD OFRD 6 speed
    good to see even christmas doesnt stop tigerfan from the MD addiction.

When I lived in ORegon I spent alot of time hanging out downtown at night, so I used to get hassled by bums all the time. I usually would blow them off cause I wasnt exactly rolling in the money myself. But I had a guy one time come up and introduce himself as the Black Howard Stern. Needless to say he got my attention lol.....I sat and listened for about 5 mins and he actually turned out to be pretty funny, so he got my money. Another time I had one come up and just give me a high five out of nowhere....now im a big fan of the high five so he also got my money.

18. Nov 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    Very cool of Romo. I never really liked him but this changes my idea of him. Cool guy!

19. Nov 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    gtz85350

gtz85350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Great stories! Keep them coming if you got more.....

20. Nov 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Read this story on yahoo cool guy, How bout them Cowboys!

Products Discussed in

To Top