LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Tony Romo's Gift to a Homeless Man

Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Tony Romo's Gift to a Homeless Man

The Dallas Morning News reported a heartwarming story today, for all of us sports fans:

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark Theatre in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. He planned to spend his day passing out fliers and accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the worker behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc, who requested that his real name not be used, hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out fliers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, Role Model had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his friend. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo -- who made news by changing a couple's tire on a roadside on the way home the night of the season opener -- it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
awesome story neon
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
Very Cool!

This is one of the reasons im a big Romo Fan
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Badass dude! that's why he's my Fantasy Quarterback!!!
Seriously, I wish more people could be like that.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice to know that these this kind of thing still goes one. Because all you hear on the news is "A guy stopped to help a stranger change a tire. While changing said tire, he made a small scratch on the fender. The stranger has now been sued for damages and pain and suffering. The plaitiff is asking for $1.7M."

Or

"A guy stopped to help a stranger change a tire. While changing said tire, he was beaten over the head with a tire iron and robbed/murdered."
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Its good to know that money doesn't corrupt everyone. Good story man
Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
And he gets to bang this!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I did something similar for a homeless guy recently. He was also named Doc. He was standing outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken asking for spare change. I said, "How about I just buy you a dinner?" He said he would just order off the $0.99 menu. I told him not to worry about it and to get whatever he wanted. So he ordered a chicken strips dinner. The guy was totally jazzed. I mentioned that our church hands out free clothes and food, no sermon required, and pointed it out to him. As I was leaving I heard him telling people in the KFC "that guy just bought me dinner." It cost me very little and made his day.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I did something similar for a homeless guy recently. He was also named Doc. He was standing outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken asking for spare change. I said, "How about I just buy you a dinner?" He said he would just order off the $0.99 menu. I told him not to worry about it and to get whatever he wanted. So he ordered a chicken strips dinner. The guy was totally jazzed. I mentioned that our church hands out free clothes and food, no sermon required, and pointed it out to him. As I was leaving I heard him telling people in the KFC "that guy just bought me dinner." It cost me very little and made his day.
Very cool!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
last christmas i was driving back to my apt from my parents house and i stopped to get a mt dew and some gas...there was a guy with no legs sitting outside the store...wasnt begging or anything...just kind of hanging out...

when i went inside to buy my dew i asked if i could buy him a coffee or anything to keep him warm...

at first he declined...saying he didnt like begging...but i persisted as he was shivering...so i bought him the biggest coffee the gas station had...

we stood there and talked for a few minutes about football (turned out he was a big clemson fan too)

at some point during the conversation he mentioned that his friend was supposed to pick him up there about an hour beforehand and hadnt showed...

i asked him where he lived and it happened to be on my route home and only 5 minutes away...so i helped him into the bed of my truck and took him home

im not usually one for doing that kind of charity work...because...well...like mentioned...its really risky these days...but what an incredible feeling to know that someone TRUELY appreciated something you had done for them

i still stop at that gas station on a regular basis but i havent seen the guy since...he didnt seem to be in the best health at the time...but i often wonder where he is and how he's doing
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
cmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to behold

cmytacoma's Tacoma Gallery
People and stories like this actually renew your faith in humanity. Especially around the holidays it's always nice to see people giving to help a cause and NOT doing it just for the recognition that follows. It's amazing how a little generosity can mean the world to someone less fortunate.
My co worker last year a couple days after christmas walked past a sale rack of coats over 75% off . It gave him a brilliant idea to start a coats for the cold drive in our community. He purchased all that were left, almost 30 coats for $240. He donated them all to different organizations around the community anonymously. This year he personally paid to put up a website, buy a laptop and started to lay the foundation for this to spread, not to help only our community, but for others to apply this themselves as well, each in their own way. This was a car salesman who some thought was a scrooge but has a heart of gold. he never even had an email address or knew how to run windows prior to this and now has financed and learned and run everything and has never asked for anything in return. If there were more people like this in all of our communities there would be a few more smiles and a lot less cold days. www.coatsforthecold.org if interested pass it on
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
last christmas i was driving back to my apt from my parents house and i stopped to get a mt dew and some gas...there was a guy with no legs sitting outside the store...wasnt begging or anything...just kind of hanging out...

when i went inside to buy my dew i asked if i could buy him a coffee or anything to keep him warm...

at first he declined...saying he didnt like begging...but i persisted as he was shivering...so i bought him the biggest coffee the gas station had...

we stood there and talked for a few minutes about football (turned out he was a big clemson fan too)

at some point during the conversation he mentioned that his friend was supposed to pick him up there about an hour beforehand and hadnt showed...

i asked him where he lived and it happened to be on my route home and only 5 minutes away...so i helped him into the bed of my truck and took him home

im not usually one for doing that kind of charity work...because...well...like mentioned...its really risky these days...but what an incredible feeling to know that someone TRUELY appreciated something you had done for them

i still stop at that gas station on a regular basis but i havent seen the guy since...he didnt seem to be in the best health at the time...but i often wonder where he is and how he's doing
You helped him to the "BED" of your truck??? lol

That is the funniest thing i have ever heard....HA HA

I was expecting something like...I helped him in the front seat and we talked about Clemson all the way to his house, or even, I helped the guy up in the cab, dropped him off and he thanked me...

But instead, I read....I helped the guy in the bed of my truck....HA...Funny stuff man...I guess it just caught me off guard...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
You helped him to the "BED" of your truck??? lol

That is the funniest thing i have ever heard....HA HA

I was expecting something like...I helped him in the front seat and we talked about Clemson all the way to his house, or even, I helped the guy up in the cab, dropped him off and he thanked me...

But instead, I read....I helped the guy in the bed of my truck....HA...Funny stuff man...I guess it just caught me off guard...
had i been able to he wouldve ridden in the cab...but as it were...i had a ton of junk that my parents were making me take from their house to my apt because they were tired of keeping it...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i hate the cowboys because TO is such a fucking dick but Romo just helped them save face in my eyes. I love stories where famous\rich people actually turn out cool instead of the uselss ass's most of them are. Sounds like a good man as well as a good QB
Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808trdsport View Post
And he gets to bang this!
i can honestly say i'm not at all jealous. she is so stupid i cant find her attractive. i've tried and it's just not there. when i see her in movies i cringe and suddenly find myself very angry. she is so freaking stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
thats awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

i have only given money to a bum once and it was because he didnt ask. my first gf use to work downtown and i didnt like her getting off alone at night so i'd drive down and wait for her outside the coffee shop. while i was sitting on the bench waiting one night a bum came up and sat down. i was like "great, now i get to hear how he ran out of gas and needs money but will mail me a check or whatever" but he just sat there and started talking about the weather. then a motrocycle pulled up and started commenting on how he hated those things cause they were loud and dangerous. we sat and talked for about 5 minutes. when i got up to walk my gf to her car i was expecting him to ask for some change but he just said to have a good night and just sat there hanging out. so i gave him 5 bucks (it was all i had on me) and told him to have a good night. i hate begging and i hate sob stories but i have no problem being charitable, i just dont want to be bugged or guilted into it. that was the only bum i have ever given money to
Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I dont appreciate being called a "bum".

LOL
Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
good to see even christmas doesnt stop tigerfan from the MD addiction.

When I lived in ORegon I spent alot of time hanging out downtown at night, so I used to get hassled by bums all the time. I usually would blow them off cause I wasnt exactly rolling in the money myself. But I had a guy one time come up and introduce himself as the Black Howard Stern. Needless to say he got my attention lol.....I sat and listened for about 5 mins and he actually turned out to be pretty funny, so he got my money. Another time I had one come up and just give me a high five out of nowhere....now im a big fan of the high five so he also got my money.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool of Romo. I never really liked him but this changes my idea of him. Cool guy!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #19
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
Great stories! Keep them coming if you got more.....
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Read this story on yahoo cool guy, How bout them Cowboys!