Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Shaving and Beard/Face Maintenance

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Shaving and Beard/Face Maintenance

What are you guys using to keep from destroying your face on a regular basis due to the necessity of shaving?

My new job requires that I be in front of customers from time to time so the beard is not an option. Problem is, my beard growing skills on a scale of 1-10 are Chuck Norris.

I find that if I shave after 4-5 days of growth I'm ok. If I have to shave two days in a row or only after a 2 day growth my face wants to fall off. When it grows back the first day after a shave or 2nd day it's no bueno.

Any type of face/post shaving cream I should you guys are using? Does that shit help?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of razor do you use?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mach3 Turbo blades I think. Shaving cream is Noxema Protective Shave Classic.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Shave after showering, not before. It takes at least 3 minutes for the water to soften the whiskers.

Always shave with the grain, not against, and use a good moisturizer afterwards to avoid ingrown hairs.

I have a lot of luck with the Gillette Fusion razor. With any razor, make sure you replace the blade the instant you feel the first tug/pull/drag. It should glide effortlessly.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood

I feel like my beard grows back at like a 2 degree angle. Why the hell can't that shit come straight out perpendicular to the face?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Shave after showering, not before. It takes at least 3 minutes for the water to soften the whiskers.

Always shave with the grain, not against, and use a good moisturizer afterwards to avoid ingrown hairs.

I have a lot of luck with the Gillette Fusion razor. With any razor, make sure you replace the blade the instant you feel the first tug/pull/drag. It should glide effortlessly.
I absolutely shave only after showing. I do shave against the grain as I feel that gets significantly closer. Is that terrible? What moisturizer should I look at?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I quit using a blade and now just use my beard trimmers to keep it short. My hair and beard are the same length, I also have a permanent goatee.
Once I have tenure in my job I'd totally think of sporting some beard action but right now I'm 25 and I work with guys who are old enough to be my dad. It's frowned upon I think.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
Shaving against the grain is ok if it doesnt cause any irritation. Sounds like that might be your problem.

I also shave against the grain daily with no shaving cream and no problem. I guess I have Chuck Norris skin.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I absolutely shave only after showing. I do shave against the grain as I feel that gets significantly closer. Is that terrible? What moisturizer should I look at?
Well, you said it feels like your face wants to fall off, so I'd say yeah, it's pretty terrible.

I use Cetaphil moisturizer and it works well for me. It's probably a bit heavier than most people would like on their face but I've had a lot of luck with it. Their face wash is also wonderful if you shower the same day you shave. Very gentle but does a great job.

Speaking of, what do you use to wash your face? Something gritty or drying for daily use will aggravate the situation as much as a bad razor.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I had a buddy in your similar situation and he would get really bad razor rash no matter what he used so he figured that he would only shave when needed and always kept a neat trimmed up beard. The place he went to work for wanted him to remove it but he told them his problem when shaving but they would not back down. So the next day he brought in a doctors note (don't quite know what made him think of this) describing his problem and they let it slide.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
lvcarguy is on a distinguished road
Name: David
lvcarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Im effed too, I'm in a constant battle about shaving my face. I work in Beverly Hills and am in retail so the yrequire us to be cleanly shaven. I have the best high end electric razor, $400 it cost, still get ingrowns and acne from shaving. If I use a mach 3 fusion, I get acne and ingrowns, if I use a beard trimmer with no attachment ( really high end that i bought from my barber friend ) have to use it every day and it takes 30 mins to hav eit look presentable. and with the beard trimmer, it leaves me w a 9 o'clock shadow ( hopefully you get my joke ) long story short.....I feel your pain, its a battle I have dealt for 10 yrs now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better......good luck to you. i will say, that that the electric razor works probably the best of the 3 but was pretty expensive.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I feel like my beard grows back at like a 2 degree angle. Why the hell can't that shit come straight out perpendicular to the face?
Mine grow in @ every angel possible. What I do now it take the guard off my beard trimmer and use it to shave. Cuts way down on the razor bumps.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyET522rKMA

How much foundation does this dude apply?

I question the 28 second mark.?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I shave on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I shave IN THE SHOWER. The warm water & steam helps, not to mention I don't make a mess of the sink. I have a shaving mirror that is fog resistant. I only shave my neck (I have a beard), a little on my cheeks, and my unibrow haha. I use edge shave gel sensitive skin (orange cap). I also shave with the grain, I find that I get ingrown hairs if I shave against the grain. I keep my beard trimmed short on the #1 setting on my beard and mustache trimmer. I work in a corporate business setting so I try to keep the beard neatly trimmed. I trim my beard on the opposite days that I shave.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Well, you said it feels like your face wants to fall off, so I'd say yeah, it's pretty terrible.
Well see that's the thing. I don't get razor burn. My face looks perfect after shaving when I've had 5 days growth. Not irritated or anything. The shenanigans only start when it begins to grow back.

It's like the hair growing back at and angle almost does so under the skin a bit. Then if I rub my face a lot it sort of acts like dry skin flaking off and the hair is exposed.

I should also note that this problem is almost non existent on my cheeks but more so on the chin/mustache area.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
I use Cetaphil moisturizer and it works well for me. It's probably a bit heavier than most people would like on their face but I've had a lot of luck with it. Their face wash is also wonderful if you shower the same day you shave. Very gentle but does a great job.
I might try some of that.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
My beard laughs at Chuck Norris, and taunts it into infancy. Being a hairy Italian does that.

Yeah, shaving after a shower helps, and it took me a while to understand shaving WITH the grain is better in terms of not having bumps and ingrowns despite not looking as clean and it growing back a day earlier. I use Nivea For Men aftershave (sensitive skin).

I recently bought a Braun Cruzer since I'm allowed to do whatever I want w/ my appearance. I keep a groomed 5 o'clock constantly and am currently sporting pirate facial hair. Gals tell me it's soft, although not the length of a beard. Why not find your groove with facial hair and tell your people to suck it? I understand it comes down to cruel and unusual punishment trying to contain thick hair growth.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
My beard laughs at Chuck Norris, and taunts it into infancy. Being a hairy Italian does that.

Yeah, shaving after a shower helps, and it took me a while to understand shaving WITH the grain is better in terms of not having bumps and ingrowns despite not looking as clean and it growing back a day earlier. I use Nivea For Men aftershave (sensitive skin).
Well then we're on the same page.

I might give shaving exclusively with the grain a shot. See what that's like.

Products Discussed in this Thread