Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

burnin oil in my bike

Old 11-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
burnin oil in my bike

Hey guys. I have a 1974 XL250. Great bike, lots of fun to throw around, pic attached. However, she just started burnin oil real bad. I'm looking for a cheap way to fix it since I only paid 1k for it to begin with. Any ideas?

What do you think of this guy's article:
http://www.mikebentley.com/oilburn.htm

And if i can't get it fixed for cheap... does anybody want a bike? lol.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

more pics

I love cruisin through town and taking her to the dunes but i dont wanna get pulled over for having a huge plume of smoke behind me :/
Old 11-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the motor and put new rings on the piston. Should be a peice of cake to do on that motor.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, new rings. Just make sure your timing is right when you put it all back together!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

Sweet deal, thanks guys. I've never done that before so I think i'll google around for a tutorial or something. I know this is the wrong forum for bike stuff :P
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Sweet deal, thanks guys. I've never done that before so I think i'll google around for a tutorial or something. I know this is the wrong forum for bike stuff :P
Thats a really good engine to learn with. Nothing to it. Only thing you should need to rent (provideing you have a decent small set of tools) is a ring compressor.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats a really good engine to learn with. Nothing to it. Only thing you should need to rent (provideing you have a decent small set of tools) is a ring compressor.

Oh yea i got tools out the wazoo. Probably could jerry rig my own one of those out of some of the stuff i have lol. That's just a little hand tool to tighten the rings and make em fit right?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Oh yea i got tools out the wazoo. Probably could jerry rig my own one of those out of some of the stuff i have lol. That's just a little hand tool to tighten the rings and make em fit right?
It compresses them around the piston so the piston and rings will slide back into the head. I used a peice of sheet meatal one time, but its easier if you just get the right tool. For me anyway.