1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you be a stay at home Dad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DEEVON911, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    8BoltRacing

8BoltRacing Custom Fabrication and Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Greensburg PA
    Vehicle:
    The Angry Warthog
    DO 3 hoop, Wheelers HD Leaf Set w/ES poly bushings, OME 884X Coils, 5100's, Selfmade Satoshi, Single beam headlights, Fogs anytime, high beams with low beams mod, ABS kill switch, AMSOIL fluids in everything, K&N Intake, TB Spacer, FAL Electric Fan and TRD Rad Cap, DT Long Tubes, URD Y-pipe w/xtra O2 bungs and 3" v-band , Custom 3-inch Exhaust w/v-band and 3030XL Aero turbine muffler and Aero 3040 tip, URD Fuel Pump Upgrade, B&M Short Shifter, EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors with EBC Yellowstuff pads, Pulseplugs, HIDs: Fogs 3000k, Highs 4300k, Lows 8000k, URD Throwout Bearing Repair kit, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel+Competition Clutch Stage 4
    Word.. where about Pitt are you located id love to meet up with a fellow owner sometime and shoot the shit about stuff lol. BTW your side job project looks great. I'm a fabricator myself.. If i had the tools and the time I would totally start doin stuff too. My brother and I are starting a performance shop (8BoltRacing) together before long and we plan to do mostly cars but we will gladly take on any project that comes to us. Not sure If you know what they are but we are based on DSM's as that is what my drag car is.

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Grew up in Mt. Washington lived a few places all over the city, now living in Whitehall, you familiar?

And nice, I feel like I have heard of DSM's but I have no idea what it is. Drag car project sounds like alot of fun! Keep me posted on the performance shop. Sounds like something I wouldn't mind checking out.

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    8BoltRacing

8BoltRacing Custom Fabrication and Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Greensburg PA
    Vehicle:
    The Angry Warthog
    DO 3 hoop, Wheelers HD Leaf Set w/ES poly bushings, OME 884X Coils, 5100's, Selfmade Satoshi, Single beam headlights, Fogs anytime, high beams with low beams mod, ABS kill switch, AMSOIL fluids in everything, K&N Intake, TB Spacer, FAL Electric Fan and TRD Rad Cap, DT Long Tubes, URD Y-pipe w/xtra O2 bungs and 3" v-band , Custom 3-inch Exhaust w/v-band and 3030XL Aero turbine muffler and Aero 3040 tip, URD Fuel Pump Upgrade, B&M Short Shifter, EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors with EBC Yellowstuff pads, Pulseplugs, HIDs: Fogs 3000k, Highs 4300k, Lows 8000k, URD Throwout Bearing Repair kit, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel+Competition Clutch Stage 4
    Heard of whitehall but not sure where at.. I work just below monroeville so I know some of thwy area.. check out this link it will explain everything that is the world of DSM: www.dsmtuners.com

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Well you will have more time to listen to Stern as a stay at home dad :D

5. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    This is very true, I don't get to listen to much! :D

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Bodz

Bodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, Xd Spy wheels, 265/70/17 Michelins, skid pan, fog lights tint, Flyzeye LED lights, ADVMonster LED lights, tri-fold tonneau, box divider........will it ever end? LOL
    Hey DEEVON911, just wondering how you're making out with the stay-at-home-Dad thing. I spent a great deal of my life dong that and, as hard as it was, have NO regrets whatsoever. Keep us posted.

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Hey Bodz, my 2nd son was born on Fathers day incase you missed that! 95% sure I will be doing this, but it won't be till September. But when he was born I had off 2 weeks, and in that time, I really really enjoyed being home with him. It makes me realize how much I missed with my 1st son when he was born cause of work. So I will update when it happens for sure.

I'll be honest, I was really surprised to see how many guys have done it. I know its becoming more normal these days. My wife watched Mr. Mom the other day , and said, thats gonna be you. Except I know wiring! lol.

8. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    Jsut become familiar with the vacuum cleaner and mop and you got it made..

9. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    If I was married and my wife made enough money to offset having 2 incomes and she had that good of a career, sure. I'd probably be a little bored not having a job, but I'm sure having kids running around screaming all day is enough to keep you occupied.

10. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Hell,

If she is good with it and you accept it's not just caring for the baby IE housework etc. Go for it it's a rare oppurtunity. Find an online college do some course work so when the baby goes off to school you can hit the job market again with more skills. Moreover, you can learn to cook even rudimentary meals from online sources ie videos. Hell if you can handle the stress of being a 911 dispatcher lol boiling water or cooking a roast should be a cake walk. Congrats on the new arrival and have fun.

Would a sabbatical / leave of absence be an option ? Most 911 operators here are state,city or county employees perhaps ask for a year off and if you do ok in that year then be gone. I know you stated you hate your job but think about it as a fall back position as the saying goes "never burn your bridges". If you have a pension there leave do not cash it out or a 401k . If you go back you would start from scratch on a pension, if you cash out the 401k the tax hit and again if you go back to work you would start from scratch.

Cypher

11. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    Bodz

Bodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, Xd Spy wheels, 265/70/17 Michelins, skid pan, fog lights tint, Flyzeye LED lights, ADVMonster LED lights, tri-fold tonneau, box divider........will it ever end? LOL
    Sounds good. Maybe we can exchange Mr Mom tips for wiring tips in the future. LOL

12. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    220, 221, whatever. :notsure:

I'd be a stay at home Dad in a minute. I'm away from my family way to much. I know two guys that are stay at home Dads. The one was a contractor and built homes for 20 plus years. His wife is a bank manager and makes big $$$. The other guy I used to work with. His wife is an IT director at a big company and also makes big $$$. The story for both of these guys is similar. They each left a child at school because the other was supposed to pick them up. Anyways, every time I talk to them they're happy as can be. Yes, they clean house, cook, coordinate the kids activities, but each of the wives say they couldn't do a better job. Their homes have never run smoother. I'd do it in a minute if I could.
    Good luck!

13. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    My wife is a Exuctive and I love being home with the boys. I have went back to college and got some education behind me. Looks good on the resume. Gives me time to be involved in some Mentor programs with the school. I couldnt ask for a better job.
    I dont miss walking the beat..

14. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    lol, I'm pretty lucky in the screaming department. Thank God! My 7yo, he is no screamer, and the baby, unless he needs to eat, or shit himself, he just hangs out.

Thanks Cypher, and I thought about doing a leave of absence. Here is the situation with my job. I'm a county employee, but I used to be employed by the city, then we "merged" I put that in quotes, because we got F'ed in the deal. Lost everything. I had to take what I had in my pension from the city out, and ontop of that had to pay a penalty for taking it out early. Even though it was not by choice. So I have been with the county, almost 8 years now, and even with that, because there where people here before us from other "merged" 911 centers, they are all higher up than all of us that came here. So work wise, I wouldn't be worse if I left, and say came back, which with my record, I don't think I would ever have a problem, If i wanted to. This job is a black hole, and I think its better that I cut my ties, while I have the chance. Plus I'm just tired of missing things with the kids, cause being forced to stay at work, which happens alot...

And we figured it out, that I would pretty much be working to pay for day care. So after talking about it, what would be better, be home with me, or me working and them raised by strangers all day, and with really no difference of income either way? I think the choice is pretty easy for me.

Oh and I'm a clean freak, and don't know how to sit still, so I do most of the house work anyway. Of course the wife doesn't mind.

lol, we can do that!

:rofl: Best quote of that movie, if you ask me! And ya Like I told Cypher, I would be working to pay day care. So it evens out. Thanks for telling me about your buddies, stories like these, help me make my decision.
    This is exactly what I look forward to.

15. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Yeah i would do it. My fiance' and i talked about it once. If she lands the position she is trying to get i will likely become a stay at home dad.

16. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Good luck to your fiance', hope it works out for you guys.

17. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    ^^^^^DITTO. We have have our own first Husbands Club . Toddlers and Tacos' yuo can't go wrong with either one..

18. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    LOL, we can wheel our Tacos proudly with our car seat mod!

19. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Congrats on finding out its a boy! Way better than having a girl :D

20. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    lol, ya honestly I couldn't imagine having a girl. Having a neice who is 20 now is bad enough!!

Products Discussed in

To Top