Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Would you be a stay at home Dad?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery

I ask because I may just be doing that. I'm not completely sure though, but its something I'm seriously thinking about. My wife is due to have a baby in June. My wife makes alot more money than I do, and for what I do, (911 dispatcher) there is no real moving up in my job, without almost starting over, and for not much more money. So its not like it could ever be the other way around for us. So anyway, I'm getting off-topic, So Would you do it, if you had the chance?

Edit: I might be able to surf TW way more, atleats when the kid gets older! LOL.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any ambition to be a dad, but hell yea I'd do it.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it for sure.. my son was abused at a daycare when he was young and that wouldnt have happened if one of us could have stayed at home with him.. I say do it
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 06 4x4 View Post
I would do it for sure.. my son was abused at a daycare when he was young and that wouldnt have happened if one of us could have stayed at home with him.. I say do it
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that about your son. But things like this make me want to do it even more.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I know a couple guys who do that and it is a huge privilege for them to be able to do that and spend the quality time with the kids. Most important thing is that your wife has to be fully on board with the idea, and make sure that you don't just watch the kids - it will include cleaning, laundry etc. Make sure you are okay with that.
The one guy also use the time at home to study through a correspondence school so that by the time the kids are older he can go back to work and have some qualifications.
Good luck with the decision.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #6

Also alittle more abouit me , I have a 6yo son from a previos marrage. (me and his mother get along better now than when we where married!) Anyway he comes to my house when he wants or stays with his mother. So I have experience with kids, its not like I'm completely new to this.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I know a couple guys who do that and it is a huge privilege for them to be able to do that and spend the quality time with the kids. Most important thing is that your wife has to be fully on board with the idea, and make sure that you don't just watch the kids - it will include cleaning, laundry etc. Make sure you are okay with that.
The one guy also use the time at home to study through a correspondence school so that by the time the kids are older he can go back to work and have some qualifications.
Good luck with the decision.
I have no problem with "house work". I can't cook, but I grew up with 2 clean freak parents, and instead of rebeling from that, I took some of it in. I'm not a freak about it, but I do those things now anyway, because I like things strait. I hate clutter. Can't relax with it. And good point about the time to maybe study up on something.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd to reply when I get to work
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
I have no problem with "house work". I can't cook, but I grew up with 2 clean freak parents, and instead of rebeling from that, I took some of it in. I'm not a freak about it, but I do those things now anyway, because I like things strait. I hate clutter. Can't relax with it. And good point about the time to maybe study up on something.
It sounds like you will do just fine then!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that about your son. But things like this make me want to do it even more.
its all good he has 6 figures waiting on him to turn 19 but I would give it all back for it never to have happened..
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
its all good he has 6 figures waiting on him to turn 19 but I would give it all back for it never to have happened..
I hear that, money is nice, but I understand completely what your saying.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I don't really have any ambition to be parents. But if we did decide to have some kids I would be a stay at home if she were making more money and could support us. Could finish up my degree and start on the masters or phd, and have it in hand by the time the kid hits school age. Go for it dude!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
It sounds like you will do just fine then!
Oh I forgot to mention, its my wife's idea that I do it too. So she is all for it.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
NBHNC

Quote:
I hear that, money is nice, but I understand completely what your saying.
plus with all the crazy shit people do to kids you wont have to worry about your kids being in jerry sanduski's shower or some other damn creep
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #15
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
YES!!!

IMO:

There is nothing more rewarding. I've never understood the concept of getting more from work then being aroung the ones you love the most and feel sorry for those children not raised by their family.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Question to yourself should be: Why wouldn't you?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticsquelch View Post
My wife and I don't really have any ambition to be parents. But if we did decide to have some kids I would be a stay at home if she were making more money and could support us. Could finish up my degree and start on the masters or phd, and have it in hand by the time the kid hits school age. Go for it dude!
True, I have been doing this job since I was 19yo, so even though I know how to do other things (half assed mechanic, some home remodeling) I don't have the proof or experience to get hired. So schooling is an idea.
Quote:
plus with all the crazy shit people do to kids you wont have to worry about your kids being in jerry sanduski's shower or some other damn creep
Oh, he was teaching them propper hygiene. . There is a special place in hell for these people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
YES!!!

IMO:

There is nothing more rewarding. I've never understood the concept of getting more from work then being aroung the ones you love the most and feel sorry for those children not raised by their family.
Good point.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a single dad.....and I love the hell out of it!

If I could be a stay at home dad.....I'd jump all over it. I love spending time with my son.

I worked shift work when he was little. I would come home from graveyards as my ex-wife would leave for work.

I miss making him breakfast and watching goofy kids cartoons.

Spend as much time as you can with them.....they grow up too damn fast!!!

PS.....GO STEELERS!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
Question to yourself should be: Why wouldn't you?
Well, the economy for one. My wife is a Teacher, and the way they are cutting education funds in PA alone is scary. Thats what kind of scares me in the long run.