LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

house training a puppy

Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chazz Michael Michaels
blake1012's Tacoma Gallery
house training a puppy

Okay, so i feel the need to vent a little bit.

Puppy was born sep 6. Brought him home on oct 26.

Am i too impatient? He knows what to do when we take him outside. But still has accidents inside. Just bought a puppy crate a week ago. He still has some accidents in it. Slowly getting better tho.

Any ideas on how to speed up the housebreaking ?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Wait anD keep taking him out!! He will get it soon enough!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, dogs seem to learn by repitition! I'd love to have a puppy!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1012 View Post
Any ideas on how to speed up the housebreaking ?
Should have started with the crate on Oct 26th.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yep, dogs seem to learn by repitition! I'd love to have a puppy!

re think that idea. i love him to death, and i know he will soon grow out of this puppy stage. but he can be verrrrryyyyyyyy annoying at times. biting, licking, chewing...........
Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Go Braves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Should have started with the crate on Oct 26th.

i read that he was too young then, to start with the crate........idk
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It is just going to take time. Puppies are awesome though. They are too cute to stay mad at. There are some sprays that you can use. I don't know what they are called but they are supposed to make the dog not want to pee where you spray. It works something like that.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1012 View Post
i read that he was too young then, to start with the crate........idk
Well, the whole idea of crate training is that dogs (wolves), by nature, won't go to the bathroom where they sleep... of course, unless they have explosive diarrhea and can't help themselves, which happened a couple of times when I was crating my latest dog... ugh, talk about a mess.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Debbo in UT is on a distinguished road
Debbo in UT's Tacoma Gallery
We crate trained our puppy last year year and I think it worked out great. One piece of advise that I got was to make sure the crate is small enough. If its to big then a small puppy can still find a corner to drop a duece in and not mind to much. Our crate had an adjustable divider so we could shrink it up some or expand as he grew.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Go Braves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbo in UT View Post
We crate trained our puppy last year year and I think it worked out great. One piece of advise that I got was to make sure the crate is small enough. If its to big then a small puppy can still find a corner to drop a duece in and not mind to much. Our crate had an adjustable divider so we could shrink it up some or expand as he grew.

yeh, i have the kind that divides as well. He is doing okay with the poop, but will urinate sometimes. I just think hes too young to really hold it very long.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
sAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud of

Air Force: 19 EMXS/MXMG
sAm I aM's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have too many problems with my pups going to the bathroom in the house. A few times but I kept rewarding them when they went outside and they picked it up pretty quick. We have an accident every now and then still though. One of mine has a chewing problem and I'm not sure what to do about it. It literally chews up everything. I have some wood now that I have to replace on my garage then it thought was tasty. I give him big bones and he'll shred them pretty fast. Put a pillow outside for him and he chews it up. Love the pup to death but man I hate him chewing my stuff up. Any pointers? We also walk and jog with our dogs about 4 or 5 days a week weather permitting.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta take the puppy out every 30 mins or so to piss.

Always use the same door to take them out. that way they learn to go there. Reward them with a treat when they go to the door. Try teaching them to bark before you let them out, that way they learn to bark at the door when they wanna go out.

Give 'em a treat and praise when they go outside. Do the opposite when they go inside.

You have to be consistent in doing this.

Also, start crating him/her immediately. Get the dog trained that the crate is its little home. Don't use the crate as punishment otherwise the dog will always associate being in there with punishment. Put the crate in a room that gets a lot of traffic in the day (dogs like to know whats goin on) and keep it in your room when you sleep. The first couple nights the dogs in the crate he'll more than likely whine and wimper. He'll get over it after a few nights.

I've done this with both my Schnauzer Puppies in the last year and both of them go to the back door bark to let us know when they wanna go out. They also don't mind being in their crate.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I just went through all of this. My baby boy just turned 8 months. Here is what I recommend. If he is not out side or under strict supervision inside, he needs to be in the crate PERIOD! Make sure the crate only gives him enough room to sleep. If the crate is too big he will sleep on one side and release in the other. Anytime you want to take him out of the crate make sure to take him outside before he gets to roam around inside the house. Create > Outside > Inside. Follow the same order going back into the crate. Inside > Outside > Crate. If he has an accident inside while under supervision, correct him by saying "NO!" and take him outside. The correction needs to come 1-2 seconds after the mistake. Don't even bother correcting him if you don't catch him in the act. He is still too young to hold his own so try to take him outside every 30 minutes. I also recommend a feeding schedule, only give him water and food at a specific times, this will make house training so much easier. You will notice that if you do this, you can manipulate when he has to release. Once you learn his release schedule, you can then take him outside and wait around the area you want him to release. Keep doing this every day for a couple weeks and next thing you know he will only release in only that area. Another tip, train your dog to release before you go on walks that way you don't have to worry about taking bags with you and picking up his shit while walking (not that you should be going on walks anytime soon). I don't get it why people take their pets on walks so they can crap on someone elses lawn?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
theres a lot of crap on the internet about not spanking etc but rather just using a stern voice and such when reprimanding

i would like to disagree

i got my puppy the week of valentines day this year...i immediately started crate training her

i'd take her out immediately AFTER eating or drinking and i only allowed her to have food and water when it was feeding time or if we had been playing

she had accidents...it happens...when i caught her i'd make a loud noise to stop her...put her nose close to it and pop her one good time on the nose with 1 or 2 fingers...and say NO in a stern voice

at that point i'd put the leash on her and take her outside and we'd stay outside until she went again

when she went outside she got petted and given a treat

it took me about 2 weeks i think to get her where she would let me know and she tried to NOT go inside

she was still to young at this point to hold it all day so i'd usually come home to a mess...but the key is to fully clean the cage every time and replace the blanket or sheet with a fresh one so she couldnt smell it

when we would go outside we went to the same spot every time

i fed her at the same time almost every day

puppies love repetition and schedules

i also made her sleep in the crate at night and during the day when i was gone

she was never in the crate any other time unless i was gone

never pull her out of the crate or hit her or scold her in the crate

you want her to feel like the crate is a "safe" place

now my puppy knows "go to bed" or "crate" and goes in it immediately

i leave the door open anytime now so that she can go in there anytime she wants as well...she knows that 9:30 is her bedtime and she'll go curl up in the crate and crash out...when i go to bed i shut the crate

good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
also...i've been told that puppies can typically hold it for an hour for every month of age they are or so
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
also...i've been told that puppies can typically hold it for an hour for every month of age they are or so
That sounds about right.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Go Braves!

Thanks for all the replies!

dtrujillo63 -- great looking dog!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
SD TACO
omar11omar is on a distinguished road

omar11omar's Tacoma Gallery
Timing is everything!! Always praise when he does good. Remember Good or bad you need to make the praise/correction immeadiatley after the action>
Attached Thumbnails
house training a puppy-ncpd-leash.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
stern voice and patients .... it took awhile but every thing was good in about 4 weeks with my 2 pups ..... i don't spank never have and never will .....
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
I got my puppy 2 weeks ago. He was born Sept. 16, so a little younger than yours. I put him in a bathroom the first night and he whined all night. I went the next day and bought a crate. First time crate training. I feed him in there and played with him in the crate that night and put him in there beside my bed that night. It is a larger crate with the divider and I left just enough space for him to lay down comfortably. He woke up about every 2 hours the first night and we went out. I did not feed him the next night after 6pm. He woke up twice the next night to go out. After that night he has slept through the night every night with the exception of one in which he woke up and let me know he had to go out. The crate is the best thing I have done in order to get sleep in the night.

I am working on the inside training. I am going to try the treats when goes outside. He understands to go out when we are out, but doesn't understand he isn't suppose to in the house yet.

Anyway, good luck with the pup.