1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

house training a puppy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blake1012, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    blake1012

blake1012 [OP] Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    Okay, so i feel the need to vent a little bit.

Puppy was born sep 6. Brought him home on oct 26.

Am i too impatient? He knows what to do when we take him outside. But still has accidents inside. Just bought a puppy crate a week ago. He still has some accidents in it. Slowly getting better tho.

Any ideas on how to speed up the housebreaking ?

2. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Wait anD keep taking him out!! He will get it soon enough!!!

3. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Yep, dogs seem to learn by repitition! I'd love to have a puppy!

4. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Should have started with the crate on Oct 26th.

5. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    blake1012

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box

re think that idea. i love him to death, and i know he will soon grow out of this puppy stage. but he can be verrrrryyyyyyyy annoying at times. biting, licking, chewing...........

6. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    blake1012

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.

i read that he was too young then, to start with the crate........idk

7. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:22 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    It is just going to take time. Puppies are awesome though. They are too cute to stay mad at. There are some sprays that you can use. I don't know what they are called but they are supposed to make the dog not want to pee where you spray. It works something like that.

8. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Well, the whole idea of crate training is that dogs (wolves), by nature, won't go to the bathroom where they sleep... of course, unless they have explosive diarrhea and can't help themselves, which happened a couple of times when I was crating my latest dog... ugh, talk about a mess.

9. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    Debbo in UT

Debbo in UT Member

Member:
    SLC, Where?
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Sport
    Dog Hair, does that count?
    We crate trained our puppy last year year and I think it worked out great. One piece of advise that I got was to make sure the crate is small enough. If its to big then a small puppy can still find a corner to drop a duece in and not mind to much. Our crate had an adjustable divider so we could shrink it up some or expand as he grew.

10. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:13 PM
    blake1012

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.

yeh, i have the kind that divides as well. He is doing okay with the poop, but will urinate sometimes. I just think hes too young to really hold it very long.

11. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    sAm I aM

sAm I aM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x2
    Flowmaster .50 ries xhaust, K&N Filter
    I didn't have too many problems with my pups going to the bathroom in the house. A few times but I kept rewarding them when they went outside and they picked it up pretty quick. We have an accident every now and then still though. One of mine has a chewing problem and I'm not sure what to do about it. It literally chews up everything. I have some wood now that I have to replace on my garage then it thought was tasty. I give him big bones and he'll shred them pretty fast. Put a pillow outside for him and he chews it up. Love the pup to death but man I hate him chewing my stuff up. Any pointers? We also walk and jog with our dogs about 4 or 5 days a week weather permitting.

12. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Gotta take the puppy out every 30 mins or so to piss.

Always use the same door to take them out. that way they learn to go there. Reward them with a treat when they go to the door. Try teaching them to bark before you let them out, that way they learn to bark at the door when they wanna go out.

Give 'em a treat and praise when they go outside. Do the opposite when they go inside.

You have to be consistent in doing this.

Also, start crating him/her immediately. Get the dog trained that the crate is its little home. Don't use the crate as punishment otherwise the dog will always associate being in there with punishment. Put the crate in a room that gets a lot of traffic in the day (dogs like to know whats goin on) and keep it in your room when you sleep. The first couple nights the dogs in the crate he'll more than likely whine and wimper. He'll get over it after a few nights.

I've done this with both my Schnauzer Puppies in the last year and both of them go to the back door bark to let us know when they wanna go out. They also don't mind being in their crate.

13. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    I just went through all of this. My baby boy just turned 8 months. Here is what I recommend. If he is not out side or under strict supervision inside, he needs to be in the crate PERIOD! Make sure the crate only gives him enough room to sleep. If the crate is too big he will sleep on one side and release in the other. Anytime you want to take him out of the crate make sure to take him outside before he gets to roam around inside the house. Create > Outside > Inside. Follow the same order going back into the crate. Inside > Outside > Crate. If he has an accident inside while under supervision, correct him by saying "NO!" and take him outside. The correction needs to come 1-2 seconds after the mistake. Don't even bother correcting him if you don't catch him in the act. He is still too young to hold his own so try to take him outside every 30 minutes. I also recommend a feeding schedule, only give him water and food at a specific times, this will make house training so much easier. You will notice that if you do this, you can manipulate when he has to release. Once you learn his release schedule, you can then take him outside and wait around the area you want him to release. Keep doing this every day for a couple weeks and next thing you know he will only release in only that area. Another tip, train your dog to release before you go on walks that way you don't have to worry about taking bags with you and picking up his shit while walking (not that you should be going on walks anytime soon). I don't get it why people take their pets on walks so they can crap on someone elses lawn?

DSC_0068_2b6f7143efe078022173229acfbb7819fe36f648.jpg

14. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    theres a lot of crap on the internet about not spanking etc but rather just using a stern voice and such when reprimanding

i would like to disagree

i got my puppy the week of valentines day this year...i immediately started crate training her

i'd take her out immediately AFTER eating or drinking and i only allowed her to have food and water when it was feeding time or if we had been playing

she had accidents...it happens...when i caught her i'd make a loud noise to stop her...put her nose close to it and pop her one good time on the nose with 1 or 2 fingers...and say NO in a stern voice

at that point i'd put the leash on her and take her outside and we'd stay outside until she went again

when she went outside she got petted and given a treat

it took me about 2 weeks i think to get her where she would let me know and she tried to NOT go inside

she was still to young at this point to hold it all day so i'd usually come home to a mess...but the key is to fully clean the cage every time and replace the blanket or sheet with a fresh one so she couldnt smell it

when we would go outside we went to the same spot every time

i fed her at the same time almost every day

puppies love repetition and schedules

i also made her sleep in the crate at night and during the day when i was gone

she was never in the crate any other time unless i was gone

never pull her out of the crate or hit her or scold her in the crate

you want her to feel like the crate is a "safe" place

now my puppy knows "go to bed" or "crate" and goes in it immediately

i leave the door open anytime now so that she can go in there anytime she wants as well...she knows that 9:30 is her bedtime and she'll go curl up in the crate and crash out...when i go to bed i shut the crate

good luck!

15. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    also...i've been told that puppies can typically hold it for an hour for every month of age they are or so

16. Nov 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    That sounds about right.

17. Nov 24, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    blake1012

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    Thanks for all the replies!

dtrujillo63 -- great looking dog!

18. Nov 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM
    omar11omar

omar11omar SD TACO

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma preRunner d-cab
    None, YET!
    Timing is everything!! Always praise when he does good. Remember Good or bad you need to make the praise/correction immeadiatley after the action>

NCPD Leash.jpg

19. Nov 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    I got my puppy 2 weeks ago. He was born Sept. 16, so a little younger than yours. I put him in a bathroom the first night and he whined all night. I went the next day and bought a crate. First time crate training. I feed him in there and played with him in the crate that night and put him in there beside my bed that night. It is a larger crate with the divider and I left just enough space for him to lay down comfortably. He woke up about every 2 hours the first night and we went out. I did not feed him the next night after 6pm. He woke up twice the next night to go out. After that night he has slept through the night every night with the exception of one in which he woke up and let me know he had to go out. The crate is the best thing I have done in order to get sleep in the night.

I am working on the inside training. I am going to try the treats when goes outside. He understands to go out when we are out, but doesn't understand he isn't suppose to in the house yet.

Anyway, good luck with the pup.

20. Nov 27, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Products Discussed in

To Top