Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Squirrels!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Squirrels!

or RATS! I got something in my attic. I'm thinking some poison should do the trick. I can't see them, nor do I want to see them. Anyone else have some suggestions.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe if your house didn't smell like hot dogs, you wouldn't have a rodent problem.

Get it?! Hot dog!

I'm clever.

Also, I'd go with poison and if that doesn't work, get an exterminator.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
or RATS! I got something in my attic. I'm thinking some poison should do the trick. I can't see them, nor do I want to see them. Anyone else have some suggestions.

gunpowder and lead!!!
kidding
the new poisons dehydrate the varmints so that they leave your attic to go find water so that they don't die in the attic....
Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Maybe if your house didn't smell like hot dogs, you wouldn't have a rodent problem.

Get it?! Hot dog!

I'm clever.

Also, I'd go with poison and if that doesn't work, get an exterminator.
I agree, you need to stop being a hotdog!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
TEXMEX TACO
alexamado is on a distinguished road

alexamado's Tacoma Gallery
What i did was go into the attic with a pellet rifle and do some huntin. It took two shots to kill it. Hey it beats paying someone $250.00 to do it.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Some help for you

There should be a do it yourself pest control place around you. If not you can get stuff online. One item is the glue rat traps. This was my preferred method when I had dogs. You want the kind that have edges on the trays. The glue is stronger for rats. The ones that are flat without edges are for mice. Smear some peanut butter in the middle. I used to battle the rat problem at my old house. It SUCKS! I had a rat in my basement once that was longer than a shovel lengthwise,Yuck! The glue traps you have to wait a few days for them to die, unless you want to pick it up with them squirming.

The other thing is rat poison. But the danger is if you have animals, it may not be a good idea to put out. Say a rat picks up the poison and carries it out in your backyard. Doesn't eat it all & your pet finds it.

Oh and when they die in the walls. Expect your house to stink of roadkill for a week or so.

Check your eves of your house. If you have vents on the end, they may be getting in there. I was told by a pest control expert, a small mouse can get in your house through an opening the size of a quarter. Then while they are in your house they grow. Any holes you need to fix them. If you have vents on the side of your house. Mesh wire in the attic will seal out critters.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamado View Post
What i did was go into the attic with a pellet rifle and do some huntin. It took two shots to kill it. Hey it beats paying someone $250.00 to do it.

^^ thats some funny sh*t right there man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
There should be a do it yourself pest control place around you. If not you can get stuff online. One item is the Glue rat traps. You want the kind that have edges on the trays. The glue is stronger for rats. The ones that are flat without edges are for mice. Smear some peanut butter in the middle. I used to battle the rat problem at my old house. It SUCKS! I had a rat in my basement once that was longer than a shovel lengthwise,Yuck! The glue traps you have to wait a few days for them to die, unless you want to pick it up with them squirming. The other thing is rat poison. But the danger is if you have animals, it may not be a good idea to put out. Say a rat picks up the poison and carries it out in your backyard. Doesn't eat it all & your pet finds it.

Sean is right, I wouldn't do the poison if you have pets or children, man. His PB & trap idea sounds gooood.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I only have two indoor cats. I'd like to think that the "squirrels" will vacate the premises after they eat the dehydrating stuff.

We already have an exterminator. I guess I'll have him come out.

I've got a 1-2.5" gap between my fascia and roof line all around the house. There is no feasible way to stop them from coming in.

Oh yeah, and my house always smells like hotdogs. Why do they only come into the attic when it gets cold? Huh, smart guys?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I only have two indoor cats. I'd like to think that the "squirrels" will vacate the premises after they eat the dehydrating stuff.

I've got a 1-2.5" gap between my fascia and roof line all around the house. There is no feasible way to stop them from coming in.

Oh yeah, and my house always smells like hotdogs. Why do they only come into the attic when it gets cold? Huh, smart guys?
screw poison... throw them 2 cats up there for a night
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
Seriously. That's all cats are good for anyways
Old 11-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
seriously. That's all cats are good for anyways

ouch....BURN!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Seriously. That's all cats are good for anyways
oh nooo.... but lsocoee loves rolly polly and sammy so much to put them in harms way....
Old 11-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The gap can be fixed. Either by filling with insulation or several cans of tough stuff (foam that expands). Or the fascia may need to be replaced with a wider board.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because the cold hotdog's only natural predators are stoners and rodents. You might want to check your attic for a hippie drum circle too.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #15
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Last year I declared war on the squirrels that were attacking our bird feeders. I didn't really want to assassinate them so I bought a two pack of the "have a heart" style traps. A Ritz cracker with some peanut butter on it as bait will catch almost any squirrel within 50' of the trap within a couple hours.
I was relocating my squirrels to various parks and wooded areas on the other side of the bay. If the little bastards make it back over the bridge they can stay. For those without a nearby large water obstacle the experts recommend moving the critters a minimum of 7 to 10 miles to be reasonably sure they don't find their way back.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #16
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
Small live catch traps work too. I worked on a house one time that had rodents in the attic and we couldnt get rid of them so we caught them in the live catch and then took care of them outside
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #17
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
put a dish full of anti freeze up there!!!! they love it!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
those cats are lovers not fighters. I should go catch an alley cat and throw him up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
oh nooo.... but lsocoee loves rolly polly and sammy so much to put them in harms way....
Seriously, even if I didn't love them, those cats have cost way too much to put in the attic with wild animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
The gap can be fixed. Either by filling with insulation or several cans of tough stuff (foam that expands). Or the fascia may need to be replaced with a wider board.
Yes, it can be fixed, but it is just not something I wish to do. They'll dig through the insulation and chew through the foam insulation. I'd have to take down the gutters to replace the fascia, which I'm definitely not going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Because the cold hotdog's only natural predators are stoners and rodents. You might want to check your attic for a hippie drum circle too.
damn hippies...I guess that explains the smell of cabbage coming from the attic during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Last year I declared war on the squirrels that were attacking our bird feeders. I didn't really want to assassinate them so I bought a two pack of the "have a heart" style traps. A Ritz cracker with some peanut butter on it as bait will catch almost any squirrel within 50' of the trap within a couple hours.
I was relocating my squirrels to various parks and wooded areas on the other side of the bay. If the little bastards make it back over the bridge they can stay. For those without a nearby large water obstacle the experts recommend moving the critters a minimum of 7 to 10 miles to be reasonably sure they don't find their way back.
mmmmm....ritz with peanut butter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm156 View Post
Small live catch traps work too. I worked on a house one time that had rodents in the attic and we couldnt get rid of them so we caught them in the live catch and then took care of them outside
so you catch them live and then shoot them?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Thanks Roland, I think it must be your squirrels finding their way into my attic. I'm gonna catch them and bring them back to your side of the bay!.
Seriously, the one's I caught last year were flying squirrels. Not much bigger than a chipmunk, but with large dark eyes and a skin flap between their front and rear legs. The little bastards jump out of the trees at night and glide onto my roof, then find a way in. I think it was the attic vent, but I sealed it up last spring. We'll see as the weather gets colder.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh yeah, and my house always smells like hotdogs.
I can't imagine why.