1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's talk Compact Flourescents....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Nov 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Thanks gang! Keep the feedback coming!

I've read that the CFL's don't like to be turned on/off with short periods of being on and the less they're used the less time they last.

I think the only rooms that have lights on for long periods of time, is the kitchen (and I have a goofy chandelier with those teardrop bulbs) and the family room (dimming recessed lights in ceiling).

I also gotta call my local township and ask if our recycling programs handles these things.

2. Nov 25, 2008 at 4:18 PM
    trcksr4grls

trcksr4grls Prayers for Bill and Michelle

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 08 Super White Prerunner
    I have a friend who's son had a friend who stepped on the busted glass of one of those bulbs after it had blown out. The mom got the glass out and cleaned the wound and saw that it was deep so took him in to see the Dr. The doctor put stitches in the wound after cleaning it again and making sure that there was no glass left behind... few days later, the kid was running a fever, puking and the stitched area looked horrible. She told him to stay off of it and babied it for about 2 more days and gave him pain killers like the Dr. said. She noticed him convulsing or something, not really sure, but rushed him to the E.R. She told the E.R. Dr. about the cut and how swollen it was. He then asked her if glass had gotten into his foot, she said yes. He then adviced her that those types of bulbs contain mercury and even though they say a small amount, it is enough that if it gets into your system it will poisen you. 3 weeks later.... her son (9 yrs old) got out of the hospital after they got the poisen out of his system, but he has lost all feeling in his injured foot due to nerve damage and he is a soccer player, but is told he will not be playing soccer any more. Poor lil thing. So I won't use them because I have a 2 yr old and just don't want to risk it.

3. Nov 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I've slowly replaced just about every bulb in my house with them. More expensive than regular bulbs so I buy 4 at a time and swap them in. Don't know what it's done to my electric bill because I have a welder, grinder, 2 air compressors and other stuff I randomly use. Although, last month our electric bill was $66 for a 2700sqft house with 2 computers, laptop, 2 tv's, non-Energy Star appliances, using the washer/dryer several times a week, and a few lights that never get turned off due to f'd up wiring in the house by the idiots that installed it.

4. Nov 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Anyone else find this funny?

Back on track:

Correct. CFLs are like your regular fluorescents. They are best for extended periods of use, and can't handle quick on/off very well.
    Quick on/off usage is best for incandescents, such as in bathrooms, garage door openers, hall closets, etc.

Those of you trying to use CFLs in the garage are also correct in your assessment - it's most likely that the candlewatts of the bulb is lower, especially if you buy the 60 watt replacement CFLs (garages are typically 120 watts). The guy who put in 300 watt replacements has the right idea, and can do it because he isn't exceeding the wattage limit of the receptacle. For garages, it's best to keep with incandescents for short usage or fluorescent ballasts for long usage.

Note that dimmable CFLs don't like touch lamps :( They just spazz out.

5. Nov 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I won't touch these with a ten foot pole for this very reason. I have none in my house, you can't give them to me.
    If you drop them you have to practically call a haz-mat team to clean up the mess. Not to get on a political rant here but this is another half baked plan by our congress passed to mandate what WE the consumer/citizenry put in/on our private property. Screw them.. All incandescent lights are to be phased out over the next 4 years. I'm stocking up on good ole bulbs because--
    1. I love to read and those CFL's suck for reading a good ole fashioned book.
    2. I live in the midwest and actually I like the warmth/heat that a bulb radiates come winter time. I have halogen fixtures in my bathroom and it is a great feeling to be enveloped in the warm glow of halogen light in the morning.
    -- The goverment is not the solution, it is the problem. --Ronald Reagan

Products Discussed in

To Top