Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask the Electrician

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #81
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post

See the wire bar.... it keeps the breaker from flipping If I want to turn the water heater off, I have to swing the thing out of the way
I can honestly say I've never used or even seen one of those.

edit: upon a searching, it's purpose is to prevent the breaker from accidentally being shut off. the breaker will still trip even if the handle is locked in the on position.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #82
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
I can honestly say I've never used or even seen one of those.

edit: upon a searching, it's purpose is to prevent the breaker from accidentally being shut off. the breaker will still trip even if the handle is locked in the on position.
thanks Squishy
Old 07-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #83
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto... That, and it can function as a "Joe Homeowner" lockout.
When working on the circuit, slip the hoop over the handles and it'll prevent the wife from energizing it.

Commercial electrical requires a physical lock and tag warning that the circuit is being worked on.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #84
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ditto... That, and it can function as a "Joe Homeowner" lockout.
When working on the circuit, slip the hoop over the handles and it'll prevent the wife from energizing it.

Commercial electrical requires a physical lock and tag warning that the circuit is being worked on.
Or prevent the BOY FRIEND from energizing it
Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #85
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Or prevent the BOY FRIEND from energizing it
True true....

My wife used to build seeker heads for the Sidewinder missile.
Today, she wouldn't be able to pick up a soldering iron without getting burned.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #86
Palooka is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
Palooka's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, You see those a lot in commercial applications... IE. essential services like fire pumps or emergency phone systems.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #87
newfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud of

newfie8's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks guys I had to ask! Guess I'll run a new wire in there. Not a stranger to plastering so it won't be that bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #88
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I kind of have a dumb question. What makes, say an extension cord ok for outdoor use? What's the difference between one for outdoor use, and one only for indoor?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #89
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
The insulation on the outdoor should be more durable to better protect from the elements. Also might have some resistance to oil and such.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #90
tls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud oftls01taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tanner
tls01taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
apprentice in Oklahoma, learning the ropes!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #91
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
The insulation on the outdoor should be more durable to better protect from the elements. Also might have some resistance to oil and such.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls01taco View Post
Sub'd
apprentice in Oklahoma, learning the ropes!
Don't fall for:

Wire stretcher
Conduit stretcher
Wire bender
Stud spanner

And a "hickey" actually IS a tool
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #93
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't fall for:

Wire stretcher
Conduit stretcher
Wire bender
Stud spanner

and don't fall for "chin nuts"
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #94
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Don't fall for:

Wire stretcher
Conduit stretcher
Wire bender
Stud spanner

...and always keep a bucket near by to catch the volt drop.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #95
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Alright gents
Looking to do a box upgrade from 100amp to 250amp this spring(2013). Looking for a solid reliable electrician to do this along with the other options I want to include in this upgrade. Located in the Denver area. PM me if you, or if you know someone that you would recommend here in Denver to do this work. My plan is to take 3 bids and weigh the options. Here is what I am looking to do:

250amp box
Sub-panel in the Garage with additional outlets and 220v outlet
Exterior LED can lights under eves for security. Wired back to a timer switch
Exterior quad outlet for gutter hot wire and Xmas lights
Line conditioner/surge protector at box
House was built in the 60's so original wiring is AL. I had an Alumiconn fix done when I bought but would like to pull back major rooms (I.E. Kitchen, bathrooms) in copper to box. Need some opinions on this. Is it really needed? How bad is AL wiring really?

This is all I have considered so far. Shoot some holes in my plans and let me know what or what not I should really do. It is not something I can do myself but do not want to get screwed with the price. Based on the above work what am I looking at spending?

Thanks in advance for the info.!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #96
TRUCK YEAH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Alright gents
Looking to do a box upgrade from 100amp to 250amp this spring(2013). Looking for a solid reliable electrician to do this along with the other options I want to include in this upgrade. Located in the Denver area. PM me if you, or if you know someone that you would recommend here in Denver to do this work. My plan is to take 3 bids and weigh the options. Here is what I am looking to do:

250amp box
Sub-panel in the Garage with additional outlets and 220v outlet
Exterior LED can lights under eves for security. Wired back to a timer switch
Exterior quad outlet for gutter hot wire and Xmas lights
Line conditioner/surge protector at box
House was built in the 60's so original wiring is AL. I had an Alumiconn fix done when I bought but would like to pull back major rooms (I.E. Kitchen, bathrooms) in copper to box. Need some opinions on this. Is it really needed? How bad is AL wiring really?

This is all I have considered so far. Shoot some holes in my plans and let me know what or what not I should really do. It is not something I can do myself but do not want to get screwed with the price. Based on the above work what am I looking at spending?

Thanks in advance for the info.!
aluminum's expansion coefficient is higher than copper's. expands under load and contracts when the load is turned off. this can cause loose connections and arcing which can cause in a fire.

this is a receptacle that I took out of a garage about a year ago

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #97
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeap got that part hence the Alumiconn fix prior to purchase. So far has been legit. Are you familiar with this? As electricians is this a decent fix or really just a band aid and I should consider re-wiring the entire house?

http://www.alcopstore.com/

Was that an AL rated outlet? It does not appear to be but I am no expert.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #98
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
I want to run a wire from the truck battery to a trailer battery to charge it while I am driving. It will go through a switch and rely.

What gauge wire do you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Yeap got that part hence the Alumiconn fix prior to purchase. So far has been legit. Are you familiar with this? As electricians is this a decent fix or really just a band aid and I should consider re-wiring the entire house?

http://www.alcopstore.com/

Was that an AL rated outlet? It does not appear to be but I am no expert.
Rewire.

The connectors look like a fair band-aid to replace wire nuts, but it's not going to take care of the receptacles and other connections.

Fair band-aid? If the screws loosen, you're back to the original problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post
a switch and contactor.
Fixed that for you.

High current calls for a contactor, not just a simple relay.
Standard automotive relays are generally only 30-40 amps, meaning they should be fused at 25-30a and not run continuous at more than 20-25a.

Your charge current COULD exceed that.... up to the output of the alternator sounds right, but it's not.
If the battery is very low, when you hit the switch to engage it, it's going to yank some major current from the truck's battery... that inrush current could be a couple of hundred amps and it could remain fairly high for a while.

There are battery isolation circuits built for slide-in campers that automatically charge when the truck is running, but limit the charge current to safe levels.
I'd run one of those with either 2ga or single ought "0" due to the length of the run to the trailer.

Don't forget... your ground needs to be the same size as your hot, and yes, you can use the frame, but tie the frame to the truck's battery in the engine compartment.

Products Discussed in this Thread