Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask the Electrician

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #141
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Just noticed this thread, i just got my Red Seal ticket in Canada here back in June 2013
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #142
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geem750 View Post
Just noticed this thread, i just got my Red Seal ticket in Canada here back in June 2013

Is that an electrician's license?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #143
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
From red-seal.ca \/\/\/

The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program (also known as the Red Seal Program) was established more than 50 years ago to provide greater mobility across Canada for skilled workers. Today it represents a standard of excellence for industry. Through the Program, tradespersons are able to obtain a Red Seal endorsement on their provincial/territorial certificates by successfully completing an interprovincial Red Seal examination. The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program acknowledges their competence and ensures recognition of their certification throughout Canada without further examination. There are currently 55 Red Seal designated trades.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #144
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
Yes, im a Journeyperson.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #145
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went to a vocational school for my highschool years and Electrical was my first choice. I ended up with my second choice for carpenrty and did that for a few years.

...yes, I wanted to be an electrician. I think it's a great trade to know.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #146
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Got a question for someone knowledgable... Right now my 120v outlets are on 10 amp breakers. All the wires are buried in the walls so I can't easily tell what gauge the wire is. I want to upgrade 1 breaker to 20 amp. What is the best way to confirm what gauge the wires are? I can pull a duplex if needed.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #147
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Got a question for someone knowledgable... Right now my 120v outlets are on 10 amp breakers. All the wires are buried in the walls so I can't easily tell what gauge the wire is. I want to upgrade 1 breaker to 20 amp. What is the best way to confirm what gauge the wires are? I can pull a duplex if needed.
When was the home built? I haven't seen 10a breakers since glass screw-in fuses went out of use.

You could pull a few outlets, but I'd go to the breaker panel and check there.

Keep in mind that the breakers must match the panel... there are a number of different designs and the wrong breaker, even if it "fits", is against code.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #148
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
When was the home built? I haven't seen 10a breakers since glass screw-in fuses went out of use.

You could pull a few outlets, but I'd go to the breaker panel and check there.

Keep in mind that the breakers must match the panel... there are a number of different designs and the wrong breaker, even if it "fits", is against code.
It's actually not too old, maybe 20 years tops? It's a detached garage. It has 100 amp service coming in, then 3 10 amp square d breakers. I added a 50 amp 220v breaker already and I will either add a 20 amp 120v or switch one of the 10s if the wire is big enough. All the romex is gone from the wires inside the panel so I can't read what wire size is.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #149

I'm not an electrician, but I can tell you that putting a 20 amp breaker on 14 Ga. romex is bad news in the eyes of an inspector and insurance folks.... see what Sask has to say about that.

You can pull a receptacle to see what gauge you wire is... or the easiest way it to do it is pull the panel cover off and determine right there at the existing breakers.

The licensed guys will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can put a 15 amp breaker in place of the 10 amp for your existing 14 Ga. romex.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #150
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not trying to upgrade anything that isn't capable. I rent the building, so burning it down isn't something I'm willing to risk. I need to run a 15 amp motor intermittently, so a 20 amp breaker would do me fine. I highly doubt the existing wire is all 12 awg wire though.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #151

Quote:
All the romex is gone from the wires inside the panel so I can't read what wire size is.

The slightly thicker wire will be 12ga. on the 20 amp breaker(s) vs. the thinner 14ga. wires on the 10-15 amp breaker(s).

You won't see the sheathing as it's been stripped at the Romex connector into the panel.

Nowadays yellow romex is 12 ga. and white romex is 14 ga... and orange romex is 10 ga.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #152

Quote:
I need to run a 15 amp motor intermittently, so a 20 amp breaker would do me fine. I highly doubt the existing wire is all 12 awg wire though.

Snap in a 15 amp breaker, but be sure to get the screw good and tight at the breaker's teminal.... that makes a difference being tight.

I think you'll be good with a 15.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #153
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you could check the gauge with T strippers if you have a pair.
if it's 14AWG you could go up to a 15A breaker.
20A would require 12AWG wire.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #154
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I was thinking of using my strippers to figure out wire size. I will check it out tomorrow and decide what I want to do.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #155
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question, Will the earth explode due to the fact that me being a wiring novice in training, used green wire nuts, which I now know are only supposed to be used for ground,(they have a hole in the end for the solid ground to go through) to wire up most of the wires including the ground? Two goofs, one knowing a good bit and another being certified failed to tell me they had a special ground wire nut only used for ground.

It's nice when you learn something useful right after you wire up a bunch of receptacles, boxes, and lights, but he said it would be ok.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #156
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Quick question, Will the earth explode due to the fact that me being a wiring novice in training, used green wire nuts, which I now know are only supposed to be used for ground,(they have a hole in the end for the solid ground to go through) to wire up most of the wires including the ground? Two goofs, one knowing a good bit and another being certified failed to tell me they had a special ground wire nut only used for ground.

It's nice when you learn something useful right after you wire up a bunch of receptacles, boxes, and lights, but he said it would be ok.

The earth will not explode.
the hole in the top of the wirenut is for a cleaner pigtail of the wires.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #157
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPRO4X4 View Post
The earth will not explode.
But the Super's blood pressure might

Electricity doesn't care what color it is in.
If the wire nut is the proper size for the number and gauge of conductors, it's legal.
Insulation color is governed by code. Wire nut color generally is not (there may be some municipalities with restrictions on the use of green).
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Wire nut color generally is not (there may be some municipalities with restrictions on the use of green).

In MA we need greens (only) for the grounds.

A new rule is out... at least here anyway, when you double up two 12-3 ga. wires, a red staple (1 1/2" long) is required to the stud/surface. No more using blues for doubling 12-3 ga.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #159
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
splicing inside electrical panel

I have a 400a service that separates into 2 side by side 200a panels. I'm going to wire a portable generator into one of my panels. In the opposite panel there are a few circuits I want to move into the generator fed panel.

Can I splice the wires in one panel and go out and back into the other panel with same size romex and land on new breakers? I'm sure I can splice inside panel after reading nec 312.8 but I'm more concerned with running romex out and back into the other panel.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #160

Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdawg View Post
I have a 400a service that separates into 2 side by side 200a panels. I'm going to wire a portable generator into one of my panels. In the opposite panel there are a few circuits I want to move into the generator fed panel.

Can I splice the wires in one panel and go out and back into the other panel with same size romex and land on new breakers? I'm sure I can splice inside panel after reading nec 312.8 but I'm more concerned with running romex out and back into the other panel.

In the Canadian code, you can splice inside a panel. Im not entirely sure if its only for the purpose of extending the wire to reach a breaker inside that panel only or not.

So long as the romex (we call it lumex) is run up high (above 4 feet i believe) and out of the way from mechanical damage then it should be fine. so if you top feed both panels that'll work. coming out of the side, id use armored cable or EMT pipe

Products Discussed in this Thread