Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask the Electrician

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #161
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdawg View Post
I have a 400a service that separates into 2 side by side 200a panels. I'm going to wire a portable generator into one of my panels. In the opposite panel there are a few circuits I want to move into the generator fed panel.

Can I splice the wires in one panel and go out and back into the other panel with same size romex and land on new breakers? I'm sure I can splice inside panel after reading nec 312.8 but I'm more concerned with running romex out and back into the other panel.
IMO the preferred method would be to pull the circuits you want to move and make the splices outside of the the panel in a junction box.
Are you installing a transfer switch for the generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geem750 View Post
In the Canadian code, you can splice inside a panel. Im not entirely sure if its only for the purpose of extending the wire to reach a breaker inside that panel only or not.

So long as the romex (we call it lumex) is run up high (above 4 feet i believe) and out of the way from mechanical damage then it should be fine. so if you top feed both panels that'll work. coming out of the side, id use armored cable or EMT pipe
The way I interpret that rule you can make splices in a panel as long as the wiring being added does not leave the enclosure.

...1.5m (59")
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #162
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdawg View Post
I have a 400a service that separates into 2 side by side 200a panels. I'm going to wire a portable generator into one of my panels. In the opposite panel there are a few circuits I want to move into the generator fed panel.

Can I splice the wires in one panel and go out and back into the other panel with same size romex and land on new breakers? I'm sure I can splice inside panel after reading nec 312.8 but I'm more concerned with running romex out and back into the other panel.
Yes you can wire NM from one panel to the other, but why not just run some carflex/Liquid tight and use THHN. It just makes for a better install IMO. Oh and not that you were gonna forget but make sure you add some sort of interlock if you plan on back-feeding from a portable genny.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #163
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I had some left over 12 and 14 gauge romex so I spliced inside panel and ran it to the other panel. I will be using a Square D interlock kit so I can run my cable through inlet box and 30a breaker inside my panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II View Post
Yes you can wire NM from one panel to the other, but why not just run some carflex/Liquid tight and use THHN. It just makes for a better install IMO. Oh and not that you were gonna forget but make sure you add some sort of interlock if you plan on back-feeding from a portable genny.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #164
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I need help with a problem. Last week, the light switch in my bedroom burned out. The wires inside were fried. It tripped the breaker. Well, I replaced the burned wires and put in a new light switch. When I turned the breaker back on, I was able to operate the lights, but now the outlets on three of my bedroom walls have no power. I tried to reset the breakers and checked the outlets, but the wires in there are fine. Where should I be looking next?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #165
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a gfi plug around? Or are the plugs spliced into the hot on the switch and it's a loose connection? Do the plugs work with the light switch on? I doubt that it's either of the two but you never know...
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #166
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbergler View Post
Is there a gfi plug around? Or are the plugs spliced into the hot on the switch and it's a loose connection? Do the plugs work with the light switch on? I doubt that it's either of the two but you never know...
Nope, there aren't any gfi in this house. I'm not sure how the home is wired up. The light switch works and one wall outlet works. The other three wall outlets have no power.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #167
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm doesn't make sense to me. The plugs should have nothing to do with the switch. It's hard to say without seeing it
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #168
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
You might have lost the neutral to the plugs when something happened with your switch, do you have a plug tester? If so plug it in and hopefully a light or 2 shines on your tester. And let's you know.

Products Discussed in this Thread