Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Ask the Electrician

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the Electrician

So we have ask the plumber, how bout a ask the electrician. Im a licensed electrician and I know there are more on this site. If you have any electrical questions post em and ill do what I can to help out. Anyone else that is an electrician send a post so everyone knows. Hope this helps some people and save you some money!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt try it! Electricity is not something to mess with! but as long as your not grounded you should be fine!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
it will trip the breaker if everything working right and you will get shocked.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Let him have this thread man. He's trying to help others out
Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
electrical tape is not a good insulator so you can still get shocked.... so any real question on projects or something not working right in the house.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you're not grounded, you don't want to complete a circuit across your chest cavity: i.e. one wire (or fork, whatever) in each hand.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Where online can I order a new mogul base socket for a 50 year old lamp?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i had low voltage halogens installed in my living room. after a year or so, one of them isn't working anymore, even though i've replaced the bulb. what am i looking at to repair this? can i do it myself? i am electrically challenged.

also, i have an old house with only 100 amp service. sometimes when the dryer is running, some lights in the basement are on, and someone is using a particular outlet, it will trip one of the circuits in the panel box and the lights go out . is there an easy fix for this?

thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Where was this thread a month ago???? I got it figured out now, no thanks to the local electrician.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Where were you a couple of weeks ago when I needed an electricians help?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Where were you a couple of weeks ago when I needed an electricians help?
I was in the garage telling you to check the breaker.

I'm a Red Seal Journeyman Electrician, going for my Masters in a few months.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRider11 View Post
I was in the garage telling you to check the breaker.

I'm a Red Seal Journeyman Electrician, going for my Masters in a few months.
What causes a grounding loop in a residential wiring system ?

When my fridge turns on I can hear a cyclic hum in my subwoofer .

They are on seperate dedicated circuits , and on different phases .

The only thing they have in common is they are both in my generator sub panel .
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What causes a grounding loop in a residential wiring system ?

When my fridge turns on I can hear a cyclic hum in my subwoofer .

They are on seperate dedicated circuits , and on different phases .

The only thing they have in common is they are both in my generator sub panel .
harmonics maybe?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
harmonics maybe?
How do you mean ?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How do you mean ?
certain types of loads produce harmonics, but its very rare on houses, its more common on industrial type loads, so I'm not really sure that is your problem, I could be way off....

A bit of info about harmonics here
http://www.cpccorp.com/harmonic.htm
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
certain types of loads produce harmonics, but its very rare on houses, its more common on industrial type loads, so I'm not really sure that is your problem, I could be way off....

A bit of info about harmonics here
http://www.cpccorp.com/harmonic.htm
Thanks , I'll check that link out

So basically , the fridge compressor would be causing the harmonic for some reason ?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
B ryan is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
sorry man just playing
i always thought electrical tape was a good insulator- hence the use as electrical tape
if i were to get a backup generator where/how would i hook it up?
Hey man I do electrical work. you should go try out that paper clip idea and let us all know how it goes. But be sure to do it in your bathroom or kitchen outlets. (just joking, don't do this) I got a laugh from your comments though. Sounds like the thoughts of a 7 year old.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also an electrician, mostly commercial but residential sidejobs aplenty... subbed to help
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks , I'll check that link out

So basically , the fridge compressor would be causing the harmonic for some reason ?
If I was right then yes, but honestly I'm shooting blind here, I would think its rare for a fridge to do that, I think they mostly use capacitor start - type of induction motors.

If you turn off everything or mostly everything in the house, does it still happen?

Products Discussed in this Thread