1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HVAC issue, please help?!!?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Airun, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Sorry, didn't know you had already done that.

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Airun

Airun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah the lowers don't. I think they were for sail switch option.
    H stat has 2 wires: one straight to humi, the other picking up 24v on t stat wire when called for.

3. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa

you are correct! in my opinion, i think that the humidifier is screwing everything up. meaning it is not wired right, which COULD cause your furnace to come on and off. it also sounds like the furnace is doing what the humidifier SHOULD be doing. make sense? :confused:

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Hmmmm. Haven't made any changes in last several minutes and kicked on and ran for 3.25 minutes.

5. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    As far as I know it should. If it were a gas furnace it should. Does it completely shut off when you turn the thermostat to the off setting?

All my experience is with gas heat, but typically the control board in the unit is initiating and verifying a sequence of operations. If it sees a failure somewhere in that sequence it will stop and flash the diagnostic led. You should be able to look through a clear window in the door and see this. If you pull the door off again without looking for the light you will clear the fault code. So make sure you are looking for that light before pulling the door off. As others have posted there should be a list of codes somewhere inside the unit, normally on the rear of the access door. The fault code will tell you why the control board is shutting the unit down and give you a place to start troubleshooting.

6. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Sort of....house at 25% and h stat set to 40% so should be calling for voltage constantly at this point.
    I agree though, not able to wrap my mind around his wiring setup, with two different wires grounded to plenum.

7. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    No blinking though. Only the two green LEDs "ok" and "power"

8. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Thanks so much for helping guys. Joey you've contributed an inordinate amount of time and I sincerely appreciate it. I'm just gonna leave humi unhooked and call the HVAC place Monday I guess. It's still gonna work acceptably just not correctly. Feel free to continue posting up ideas if you're enjoying this troubleshooting challenge and I'll follow.

9. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Let us know how this turns out. I'm curious now. I have seen a couple of these hot water setups but it's been a long time now, and they were both pretty old, not as much going on inside as yours.

10. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    Superx2

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    im just getting into the service side of things. been in the HVAC trade for 13 years, but only in the install side. i have along way to go and lots to learn. good luck and hope it works out for you.

and anytime i can try to help and i am not busy im glad to help! :)

11. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Superx2

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    x2

12. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Yeah, I've had it since 2005 (Hardy wood stove) and its functioned superbly. I installed humi in 07 and worked perfectly. In 09 we added on and remodeled and upgraded AC and decided to do furnace and bigger blower and the HVAC guy reinstalled humi but it would run even when furnace blower not running. So I called different HVAC company and they sent this guy out Wednesday and I thought we were gtg. NOT!

13. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    When we added on in 09 I branched off the return line to boiler to feed a floor heat manifold for 2.5 bay garage, bonus room above garage, new kitchen ceramic tile (used to be old garage), and our master bath (ceramic tile). 3000 feet of 1/2" pex on 4 different t stats and 12 zones. I'd love to have the whole house heated this way and no forced air heat.

14. Jan 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    2b93be01_3fe6fb230da2ce165abf3477b9f9f5cba64aae83.jpg
    T stat bad. I had told the tech to check it b/c it had shorted out and I even saw him remove cover and look at it but I did not.
    Duh! Obviously burnt in pic above. Gonna pu a cheap heat-only T stat tonight and see what happens.
    Good ole hi tech Hg T stat!

15. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Keep it simple, eh? :)

16. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    Could be a bad stat

17. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Yep, working good now. Cranked it up and raised house temp by 5 degrees in no time and humidity by 2%. Woot!

18. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    The burnt wire in the picture is called the heat anticipator. I think it allows setting a delay between the mercury contacting and the t-stat calling for heat. I believe it stops the furnace from "hunting" if it is just on the borderline between turning off and on. I am not an HVAC guy but I worked at a heating wholesaler for many years. We would refuse warranty on thermostats with burnt anticipator because it is caused by incorrect wiring. I only mention this to suggest you double check your wiring!

19. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Looks like you got it going! That is great.

20. Jan 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Airun

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Yeah Gary same thing my tech said. It got shorted when I was rewiring humidifier. Actually saw smoke coming from t stat but seemed to work ok for several months until recently. Just not sure why it finished going south after starting humidifier. Been such a mild winter so far, probably didn't realize wasn't working correctly.

Products Discussed in

To Top