LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Mod for your Mag-Lite

Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 30 Yrs Logistics and Intel
Name: Bob
SeniorSpan's Tacoma Gallery
Mod for your Mag-Lite

G'day all,

I could not find any info using search so I thought I would throw this out here.

If you are a Mag-Lite user you may be interested in an inexpensive LED mod to your Mag-Lite that increases the brightness up to 7X with a 17 hours continuous run time. Additionally, produces a pure white light that really throws a beam way out there.

This page has the mod for 2-3 cell C&D Mag-Lite, $12.95; 4-6 cell C&D Mag-Lite, $16.94; and 2 cell AA for $10.95.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-6EXB&x=7&y=17

Ultra simple to do, just replace your incandescent light bulb with the LED module and you're done.

I just converted both my 3 cell D Mag-Lites and was more that please with the results, so thought I would share.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
awesome
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Do you know if this works on rechargeable ones?
If they take the same bulb, it will work.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. I actually just stopped at maglite and they say they know a company that sells the LED bulbs for the rechargeable ones and they were going for 50-60 bucks. But this lady didn't seem like she was the most knowledgeable. Although she wasn't dumb. So idk now.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Surge and buy a Stinger led rechargeable. Best around..
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
dont forget about the striker bezel
http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cap-Magli...8&sr=8-1-spell

glass breaker tail cap
http://www.amazon.com/Cell-Flashligh..._bxgy_hi_img_b
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
Surge and buy a Stinger led rechargeable. Best around..

Not even close to the best around, not bad lights, but far from the best. Also, Maglights are the biggest, heaviest POS out there. If you wan't a club, then by all means. Do a search on these forums for Army Tek Predator, damn nice light. Look at Fenix, JetBeam, SureFire, Wolf-Eyes, even 4Sevens for some good lights.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Have you all checked in the battery cover for the extra bulb?

mine came with an LED similar to what you are looking to buy, inside the back of the light there is a piece of foam with an extra battery, check yours to see if it's LED.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Not even close to the best around, not bad lights, but far from the best. Also, Maglights are the biggest, heaviest POS out there. If you wan't a club, then by all means. Do a search on these forums for Army Tek Predator, damn nice light. Look at Fenix, JetBeam, SureFire, Wolf-Eyes, even 4Sevens for some good lights.
And if your looking for a Maglight sized LED, Check out the Outback Lights "Big Stick". Its rated at only 120 kumens, but out throws my Fenix TK11 r2 (rated at 240 lumens), and is built better than the Maglight..
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And if your looking for a Maglight sized LED, Check out the Outback Lights "Big Stick". Its rated at only 120 kumens, but out throws my Fenix TK11 r2 (rated at 240 lumens), and is built better than the Maglight..
I think companies "fudge" there lumen ratings. Do you like your TK11? Seems the newest models are using R5 emitters now, boasting 258 OTF lumens. The throw on that Outback (I'm not up on these) prolly is due to the size of the head/reflector, again just a guess. And that is the thing, some LEDs are bright as heck, but with poor throw. Now that being said, several newer companies have addressed this. This is the reason I think an incan converted to LED lights are not that great, the reflector/bowl was designed for a bulb, not an emmiter, "sorta" like putting HIDs in our stock headlights, bright, but all scattered, and very poor range/throw.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
I think companies "fudge" there lumen ratings. Do you like your TK11? Seems the newest models are using R5 emitters now, boasting 258 OTF lumens. The throw on that Outback (I'm not up on these) prolly is due to the size of the head/reflector, again just a guess. And that is the thing, some LEDs are bright as heck, but with poor throw. Now that being said, several newer companies have addressed this. This is the reason I think an incan converted to LED lights are not that great, the reflector/bowl was designed for a bulb, not an emmiter, "sorta" like putting HIDs in our stock headlights, bright, but all scattered, and very poor range/throw.
Yeah, the head/reflector on the Big Stick is nice. Nice tight hot spot, that throws pretty dam far. About as far as a friends 750 lumen light. As for the TK11, Its my favorite light. The ability to go from 80 lumens to 240 is very nice, as you dont need that kinda light output most times. Battery life is great, but Im running 18650's in it. The incan/LED swap thing, I have an LED swap on my Maglight, and I love it. Same beam pattern as the incan......better actually, and you can even focus it to a degree. Not as large of a flood as the incan, but much more even pattern, if that makes sense.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #16

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeah, the head/reflector on the Big Stick is nice. Nice tight hot spot, that throws pretty dam far. About as far as a friends 750 lumen light. As for the TK11, Its my favorite light. The ability to go from 80 lumens to 240 is very nice, as you dont need that kinda light output most times. Battery life is great, but Im running 18650's in it. The incan/LED swap thing, I have an LED swap on my Maglight, and I love it. Same beam pattern as the incan......better actually, and you can even focus it to a degree. Not as large of a flood as the incan, but much more even pattern, if that makes sense.
The converted ones I've seen (Maglights), didnt impress me. Where did you score your 18650's? I have a Ultrafire thats uses them, I've got a pair from LightHound and a charger. They seem to have not held up very well. Prolly just cheap cells. Have you had good luck with yours?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
The converted ones I've seen (Maglights), didnt impress me. Where did you score your 18650's? I have a Ultrafire thats uses them, I've got a pair from LightHound and a charger. They seem to have not held up very well. Prolly just cheap cells. Have you had good luck with yours?
Ive had mine for about 3 or 4 years now, and they are doing fine. I got them from 4sevens, along with a rapid charger. They had them for 4 bucks each, so I got a couple.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #18

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Mah?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Mah?
The ones I have are made by AW, and are 2200 Mah. Built in protection also.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
you wanna boost your maglight, this is the way to do it. Some work required, but the output is crazy. Blows away all my expensive (surefire and fenix) lights.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/869\

Its a 5 Cree R2 LED Dropin (can get it in either single mode or 5 mode). It is rated at 1200-Lumen however as mentioned, every company measures lumens differently so that doesnt really tell you anything...i can tell you that it is stupid bright.