Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Got a cb, need some help

Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Got a cb, need some help

So I bought a Midland 1001Z from a guy on here. Was gonna pick up a 5ft antenna and mount it on the bed rail. I was going to check at radioshack and see what they have there, I can't think of anywhere else around here that sells them. I don't really wanna order one online because of shipping.

My question is, does anyone know of any good antennas that radioshack may have, and what else I will need? I know I need to get a tuner, but I have no idea how to tune it. I read some how to thread about it, but none of it made sense to me. I also know I need to buy like an 18ft coax, but Idk anything about them..
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
Truck stop! Firesticks are good!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh duh. I didn't even think of that. I knew firestiks were great, but didn't think anywhere locally would sell them. That is where I will check!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Very nice how much?

Anyone got some mounting ideas? This is a smaller cb, although it goes back pretty far. I have seen pretty much all of the mounting methods on this site now, and still cant really decide where to mount it. Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Very nice how much?

Hmm.. I was tryin that but couldn't seem to get it to fit. I'll try again. If not, its just goin under the drivers seat. What antenna and coax did you use? I'm mounting my antenna pretty much in the same spot you did.

I see your 18 as well... badass. Haha
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
do an online search for local cb radio shops. i got mine doing that and the guy tuned it for free.

to mount my cb i actually put it on the center hump on the drivers side instead of the passengers side. i like it better there because the speaker and the numbers face me. i have never had a problem with it gettin in the way even with full sized cold weather huntin boots and coveralls on.

to mount it i just cut slits in the carpet and foam with a blade and slid the little mounting plate underneath the carpet with the two prongs sticking out. the mic just sits right between the drivers seat and the center console completely out of the way. i think i can dig up some pictures if you are interested in looking at that method
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The further away from the cab the better...the signal tends to reflect off of all that metal and weakens the signal and your range. That's why 18 wheelers put them on the mirrors...furthest/highest point away from the cab.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntark03 View Post
The further away from the cab the better...the signal tends to reflect off of all that metal and weakens the signal and your range. That's why 18 wheelers put them on the mirrors...furthest/highest point away from the cab.
I see.. someone said you want at least half of the antenna higher than the cab? I have a toolbox and was just going to mount it on the rail right behind it. I may just mount it all the way back then. I still have to go buy an antenna and coax. It would be nice if they would tune it for me, because I don't want to spend even more money than I already am on a meter that I have no clue how to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
do an online search for local cb radio shops. i got mine doing that and the guy tuned it for free.

to mount my cb i actually put it on the center hump on the drivers side instead of the passengers side. i like it better there because the speaker and the numbers face me. i have never had a problem with it gettin in the way even with full sized cold weather huntin boots and coveralls on.

to mount it i just cut slits in the carpet and foam with a blade and slid the little mounting plate underneath the carpet with the two prongs sticking out. the mic just sits right between the drivers seat and the center console completely out of the way. i think i can dig up some pictures if you are interested in looking at that method
Yeah pics would be awesome! If you don't mind
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I see.. someone said you want at least half of the antenna higher than the cab? I have a toolbox and was just going to mount it on the rail right behind it. I may just mount it all the way back then. I still have to go buy an antenna and coax. It would be nice if they would tune it for me, because I don't want to spend even more money than I already am on a meter that I have no clue how to use.

Yeah, that seems to be what I remember. Your best bet for reception would be a whip towards the back of the bed. Passenger side is better also.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just drill 4 small holes on the side of your toolbox to mount the antenna too. i tried mounting it to the rail system and it never really worked quite right.

ive also seen people mount the cb under the steering wheel, behind the center console, and on the side of the center console.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah pics would be awesome! If you don't mind
here it is from the top. plenty of clearance for both the seat and my legs

and from the front

and here is how i ran the cable under the carpet

and finally here is the mounting plate and how i stuck it under the foam/carpet. no need to drill any holes. i have never had it move on or offroad
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Very nice how much?

That's pretty good spot. I have a brake controller mounted already so I was just trying to maximize my leg space, but this spot lookout if the way pretty well.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Very nice how much?

I have seen someone mount the same cb as mine in their center console. You can't put it in the passenger side indent thing, because it covers the face completely.

But any location in there, and the lid can't close? The radio is just barely too high. Any way to fix this?