LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Question about an accident

Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question about an accident

Hey everybody so a few weeks ago my father got in a sort of accident. He pulled up behind this guy on a scooter at a red-light and says he maybe got a bit to close but didn't touch the guy. The light turned about then and just as the guy started to move forward he looked around flew my dad a bird and subsequently fell of his scooter. My Dad immediately got out of his car and helped the guy get to the side of the rod with his scooter and called the police. The guy went to the hospital has some minor external abrasions (wasn't wearing a helmet) but ended up with a lacerated liver. My dad told the police he didn't think he bumped the guys bike, but they issued him a ticket for reckless driving anyway. He went to traffic court paid the fine and told the judge he didn't hit the guy and whatever. Do you think the guy will have grounds to sue or not? My dad was a bit worried about it and I wanted to see what your thoughts were.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
How did the guy end up with a lacerated liver after falling off his scooter? Which sounds like on purpose.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a traffic cam at the intersection?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how you could get a lacerated liver from a simple fall to the ground, seems like more happened here.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
How did the guy end up with a lacerated liver after falling off his scooter? Which sounds like on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Not sure how you could get a lacerated liver from a simple fall to the ground, seems like more happened here.
Repost!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I would think it hard to judge if you got close enough to someone that you didn't THINK you tapped.

One should be sure if they did or didn't. Or at least be of distance to where you are POSITIVE you won't be close enough to come in contact.

The police issued him a ticket for a reason. Perhaps there was damage on the scooter from what could have been a slight impact? Or marks on dad's car?

To answer your question, anyone can sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean that they will win. If it was an accident, it was an accident - and I think from that would be damage to the bike as well as personal. So for the cost of doctor bills and damage to the scooter is what I would think he might go for. In that case insurance should kick in.

If it were intentional (which it doesn't sound like it was) then that is a different story for maybe it would be a criminal issue at that point.

This is only my opinion, based on being a witness and through experience. I'm not a legal expert by any means.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Did you look at your dads front bumper to see if there was a scuff mark where he "might" have tapped him? Almost evryones cell phone now can take pics I would have snapped a few at the accident scene.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Is there a traffic cam at the intersection?
No it was a four way stop my mistake
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosabre View Post
Did you look at your dads front bumper to see if there was a scuff mark where he "might" have tapped him? Almost evryones cell phone now can take pics I would have snapped a few at the accident scene.
He did there was no damage to either vehicle
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Repost!
I am not sure seems kind of fishy I thought I mean he feel off but had no other major injuries which make me wonder how that kind of internal damage happened
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Seems at least reasonable that he could.

The police obviously thought your Dad did something wrong...Did your Dad plead not guilty and get a judgement against him or did he just say "I don't think I hit the guy-but here is my money"??

Did your Dad talk with his insurance company yet??
He did as babytruck said I guess since it was accidental he may only be able to go for doctor bills and any vehicle damage (which there isn't any apparent evidence of)

Thanks everybody very good comments!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
I am not sure seems kind of fishy I thought I mean he feel off but had no other major injuries which make me wonder how that kind of internal damage happened
Unless it was like this:http://youtu.be/OkBMwCzL4oA
Than I don't see it. I wouldn't worry if there was no damage to either. There would have to be damage for that to happen. Only bad thing is, is that your dad would have to maybe pay a lawyer. Unless insurance is willing to cover this.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Titto
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
You need to look into this other guys past driving record. My sister in law rear ended a lady at a yield sign. There was no traffic coming so the yield was open, this other lady slamed on her brakes for no reason. She was carted off in an ambulance complaining of neck pain. My Sister in law was really worried about it, but they did a little digging on this other ladies driving history.....she had done this at least 3 or 4 times before! Nothing ever happened to my S.I.L. and the police dropped everything about the "accident". Do some research on this other guy.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield19 View Post
You need to look into this other guys past driving record. My sister in law rear ended a lady at a yield sign. There was no traffic coming so the yield was open, this other lady slamed on her brakes for no reason. She was carted off in an ambulance complaining of neck pain. My Sister in law was really worried about it, but they did a little digging on this other ladies driving history.....she had done this at least 3 or 4 times before! Nothing ever happened to my S.I.L. and the police dropped everything about the "accident". Do some research on this other guy.
I would not rely on this technique...Cause your SIL was still wrong. Folks can jam their brakes all day long in front of me and I won't hit them cause I'm not that close. She got lucky that the police let everything go.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #17

Alright thanks you guys
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would not rely on this technique...Cause your SIL was still wrong. Folks can jam their brakes all day long in front of me and I won't hit them cause I'm not that close. She got lucky that the police let everything go.
+2. A person could stop in the middle of the road if they wanted to. If you hit them from behind you're at fault.