Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

I know there's no home decorators here..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
I know there's no home decorators here..

But, I'm sure some of you guys can relate and maybe help me out. I have recently moved into a house, and have all my furniture set up, but the house is really boring. A few friends have commented on it actually. I have zero decor. I mean, the house looks good, but just no personality, no character. I would like to get a few plants maybe, something to dress up the walls, and a few cool little pieces to put around. My only problem is, I have no idea what to get, or even where to look. I don't want to just buy art for the sake of buying art, I would like something with some meaning behind it. Same with any decor. Does anyone have any ideas? Any good stores to check out? I'm stupmed.

BTW, I am single and live with a roomate who basically couldn't care less if we used cardboard boxes for furniture, i.e he's uselss.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.homegoods.com/locator?sea...Str=california
Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
My mom is an interior designer so I grew up around this stuff. Do you have a Garden Ridge near you? They have a lot of stuff. Target is also good for that stuff. Just get some pictures (various sizes) and Try to create some focal points with them. Just find stuff that you like, don't try to buy stuff for other people. It's hard to explain but just buy a bunch of random chotchkes that "fill up" the space but don't look cluttered.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
I'm proficient with both chainsaw and shotgun...
Kangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Kangonia's Tacoma Gallery
Find a hot lady friend... Bring her over and see was she says. If she wants to help, let her... If she doesn't want to help see if she'll let you PIITB...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Hire an interior design student who'll do it for the cheap ?It'd make for a good portfolio job for them and save you $$$$$$
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Couple of questions is do you have carpeting or wood floors?
How is the natural light?
Some accent rugs really add to a room
New paint - if you go to Home Depot or Lowes there are little cards that can help add some color.
Window Treatments ie curtains you do not have to pay a lot of money for these! Christmas Tree Shop has great curtains & wall art very inexpensive.
Walk around Ashley Furniture or a furniture store that has rooms layed out so you can see different styles.
Plants certainly add color especially if you get some nice pots for them & easy way to add color.
Definitely work up a plan, make it fun, it's your castle!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Make it your own. Throw a few mirrors on the wall. A few family pictures. a few candles. Some striped curtains ( manly) no flowers.. and a rug, big ass tv. and put some speakers in the wall. Your all set.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Check out your local GOOD WILL store or SALVATION ARMY store.....

I personally suck at decorating also, and I hate paying big bucks for paintings & such. I found a really cool painting (3' x 4') of a beach scene for $45. I snatched that up in a heartbeat!!

When you visit other homes (family, friends, etc), take a look around in their homes. Take notice to what you like.....and ask them 'where did you get that'

What types of things do you like? What hobbies are you into? You could pick a theme for each room..... Beach theme, golf theme, mexican theme, offroading theme... whatever you like.

It doesn't have to be 'girlish' (as most people would think). You could dress up every room to be somewhat man-cavish. That's up to you. You've gotta live in it...so make sure you're happy with it!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
New paint - if you go to Home Depot or Lowes there are little cards that can help add some color.
New paint indeed! And the sample jars are well worth the money. You can't go by the small swatches as it seems all paint dries darker on the wall than what shows on those.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Couple of questions is do you have carpeting or wood floors?
How is the natural light?
Some accent rugs really add to a room
Window Treatments ie curtains you do not have to pay a lot of money for these! Christmas Tree Shop has great curtains & wall art very inexpensive.
Walk around Ashley Furniture or a furniture store that has rooms layed out so you can see different styles.
Plants certainly add color especially if you get some nice pots for them & easy way to add color.
Definitely work up a plan, make it fun, it's your castle!!!
I have hardwood, and the lighting, we always have the blinds closed but open, its's awesome. there's windows all over. I did the walk through thing, but all the stores look like my house, as in they showcase the furniture but just add simple little trinkets that don't make much sense. Thanks for the replies Everyone. Where can I go about hiring a design student? I like that idea.
And Kango, I actually tried that a few times, all the girls wanted to start adding way too feminine junk.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangonia View Post
Find a hot lady friend... Bring her over and see was she says. If she wants to help, let her... If she doesn't want to help see if she'll let you PIITB...
If shes hot thats prolly all shes good at. but prolly better at anal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
Hire an interior design student who'll do it for the cheap ?It'd make for a good portfolio job for them and save you $$$$$$
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
Make it your own. Throw a few mirrors on the wall. A few family pictures. a few candles. Some striped curtains ( manly) no flowers.. and a rug, big ass tv. and put some speakers in the wall. Your all set.
Cant forget the bigass tv
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
monkeys + mexican food = WIN
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm....single, ..male... ...what's w/ this decor crap ?

all you need is the following:

- couch
- coffee table
- tv/media/speakers
- refrigerator
- microwave
- oven
- washer/dryer

...yep, that about does it..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
If your into hunting and stuff kings camo I think there called now has some pretty cool elk/deer and other animal prints and stuff. Thats all I had when I was single, helped the all bright white walls in my rental house not so boring and bright. So you know, now all those prints have been forever condemned to my office in our new house. Apparently they dont go with the lady's decor...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangonia View Post
Even if she does help, PIITB.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
hmmm....single, ..male... ...what's w/ this decor crap ?

all you need is the following:

- couch
- coffee table
- tv/media/speakers
- refrigerator
- microwave
- oven
- washer/dryer

...yep, that about does it..

That's exactly what I think too, but lot of people, guys and girls, keep telling me I need to add some "character". I don't know about any of that shit.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
That's exactly what I think too, but lot of people, guys and girls, keep telling me I need to add some "character". I don't know about any of that shit.
hehe,..i was just giving ya a hard time over it...

.. i guess you have to start w/ something of interest to you.. i like "western/country" artifacts, ..for example over my mantle i have a "bear" made of some kinda kiln dried horse hair i picked up from some indians selling it by a bridge west of Taos, NM... i've also got a replica Colt Peacemaker revolver i picked up in Telluride, Co,.. that's my "centerpiece"...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I've always just had a knack for this kind of crap. Don't know why. I'm good at making a room flow together or being able to figure out how to arrange furniture n' such.

Around here, we have string of "gently used goods" line of stores. One of them is called "New Uses". They have all kinds of used home decor on the cheap. See if there is a place similiar around you.

-Pictures/painting always help, espeically if you can find something a litte off beat, conversation starter. I have some great "one of a kind" artwork in my house, IMO. I should take some pics.

-Read a lot of books? Make a bookcase part of your decor. Get them cheap for like $20 new, you can then fill with books and add some things to the top like a couple candles, maybe a change/key basket. Also a place to store movies.

-Area rugs, espeically on the Hardwood floor. Check craigslist and places like that.

-Painting the room can help, but don't make it the only thing you do.

Post up some pics of the room you are trying to decorate...it would help a lot.