Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Buying furniture

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Buying furniture

So I'm almost 30, and had used couches since I moved out of my parents house at 17...I've never actually picked out my own sofa

Since my roommate is moving out and taking his sofa with him, I'm now in need of a new one...and i want just that...a NEW one

Anyone have good suggestions as to who has good quality furniture for reasonable prices? I don't have a price range in mind as I'm willing to adjust what I spend depending on how much I like it
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Roomstore? Or Rooms to go? Haverties?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
ethan allen is pricey as hell but real nice stuff
my advice is to just go to your local mall and roll through every furniture store. price will be marked and quality will be obvious, then you can decide what you need/can afford
mall

ain't no furniture stores in our malls

I'm moreso looking for reviews for different stores that people have actually dealt with...both buying outright and financing

Only reason I'm even considering financing is because rooms to go has a promotion going here where you buy a living room set and finance it at 0% for like 3 years and you get a free 60" Plasma tv...which would be sweet because I'm planning on buying a TV in the next couple months too
Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Planning on it...I'm not going to buy a new sofa without sitting on it first...I'd just like to know of any good or bad reviews for any stores before I go so I know if theres places I should avoid
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Costco has nice couches for cheap! If you have a costco go check them out.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
ILikeTacosToo is on a distinguished road

Navy: SLJO
Name: Kyle
ILikeTacosToo's Tacoma Gallery
Ashley makes great furniture. i like all the Ashley stuff my wife and i have. we got a dining room table and chairs from rooms to go and it was garbage. Chairs started falling apart within 3 months.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2r6 View Post
Costco has nice couches for cheap! If you have a costco go check them out.
Not yet...construction on one is ongoing though

I'm up the road from ya in Columbia BTW
Old 01-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacosToo View Post
Ashley makes great furniture. i like all the Ashley stuff my wife and i have. we got a dining room table and chairs from rooms to go and it was garbage. Chairs started falling apart within 3 months.
Gracias sir

This is the kind of info I'm looking for
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have back problems and need a firm couch and a firm mattress. When I bought the couch I am sitting on now, I must have looked for a couple of months. Everything I found was too "marshmallow-ish" I ended up with a Lazy boy with recliners on both ends. Don't know if they make sectionals, probably. I have not regretted my 1,200 dollar purchase in the five years I have had it.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
My parents have had Thomasville furniture for decades and it still looks brand new. I can't be sure exactly what kind of quality the brand has now but they used to be a respected furniture manufacturer.

Pricey stuff but if you plan on keeping it for a long time, the investment is well worth it.

Edit - If you shop around you can sometimes find "returned" pieces that have minor factory imperfections or minor damage from delivery at steep discounts. Usually you have to organize transport yourself but since you have a truck that shouldn't be an issue. I've seen entire sectionals on sale for 30-40% off because one of the legs had a scratch in it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
theres this pretty damn sweet couch that i saw while looking for a kitchen table that had an awesome little ((could fit what i would assume to be 4-5 beers) but you would have to modify i a little. like drill a drain hole for the ice drain off of course) compartment. it was a leather couch with a 90 degree on it. it didnt look like to rediculous of a price for that particular couch. i think it was a lazy boy or somehtin. but damn it was comfy. i saw it at a furniture outlet in Rock Hill. but im sure they are in every furniture warehouse your gonna walk into. but yea good luck. and yea this may not help at all. but ive been drinkin i think. so who gives a damn. good luck sir
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacosToo View Post
x2

I've got a 2 seater and 3 seater multimedia couche from Ashley. Got them about a 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. Very sturdy and great reclining.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
When my wife & I first married we bought the free financing for 36 month furniture and it needed to be replaced about the same time we paid it off... that's what they're counting on. So after doing that a couple of times we decided we'd buy some good stuff. We went with Clayton Marcus (manufacturer) loveseat, sofa, & wingback chairs; oak frame, 8 way hand tied springs, etc. That was 1991 and we still have it much to my wifes chagrin. She's been wanting to replace it for years but it's still in good shape... Next time I bet she wants to buy the cheaper stuff so it'll wear out sooner.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Not yet...construction on one is ongoing though

I'm up the road from ya in Columbia BTW

I was wonder where dunkin donuts was!

Its worth the drive down to Charleston to go to costco they have this really nice sectional for like 780. Alike couches go for over 1500 all day at furniture stores. The best thing about costco too is if you dont like it 5 years from now you can return it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Opted for a Rooms to Go blended leather living room set...for $1999.99 it came with a $1000 Best Buy gift card to put towards a new tv

Plus no interest financing till 2016

Gonna pay it off in the next couple months, but it's nice that it's no interest while I pay it off
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 478DblSport View Post
You didn't spend all your moderator bonus did you?
thats exactly what i did!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
im sitting on an ethan allen sectional right now. i guarantee its out of your intended price range (expensive as all hell) but just for reference- if you buy an open ended couch (ie there arent arm rests on the sides) make damn sure the cushions are somehow well affixed to the couch. they arent attached on this and so they slide off in the way that wherever you sit you end up sitting on the couch frame in between the cushions within 3 minutes of being on there it pisses me off so much you have no idea how frustrating it is
we had that problem as well...nothing a little bit of construction grade velcro couldnt fix....little bit on the ends of the cushions/couch and problem solved