Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

asking dealer what they paid for used vechile

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
asking dealer what they paid for used vechile

When I bought my tacoma I haggled with the price for about an hour and the salesman basically told me I was getting it at cost. I asked him what they paid for the truck and he just beat around the bush. I realize its all a game and everything but why is it such a big deal if you ask what they paid for the vechile. I know dealerships have to make money and all but it might help the sale
Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
They profit at least 5k per vehicle.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
^^^LOL FALSE. Not sure where you heard that from. I work at a car dealership and it really all depends. Sometimes we may have to give people more money for their trades in order to make a deal. It's all in the name of negotiation. Very very rarely do I ever see someone selll a vehicle for 5k over cost. There is a lot of money that goes into the vehicle (service, parts, labor, detailing costs, body work, interior/exterior repair etc). Each dealership is different depending on their overhead, whether they are a volume oriented dealership (sell lot of cars, small profit), or gross oriented (sell less cars, but more markup,). It really all depends. I have seen SEVERAL times where we have sold a vehicle at cost, if not below what we had in it. Sometimes we need to move units that have been there for a while. Honestly, if someone asks what we have in it, we tell em. No point in trying to be sneaky about it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
^^^LOL FALSE. Not sure where you heard that from. I work at a car dealership and it really all depends. Sometimes we may have to give people more money for their trades in order to make a deal. It's all in the name of negotiation. Very very rarely do I ever see someone selll a vehicle for 5k over cost. There is a lot of money that goes into the vehicle (service, parts, labor, detailing costs, body work, interior/exterior repair etc). Each dealership is different depending on their overhead, whether they are a volume oriented dealership (sell lot of cars, small profit), or gross oriented (sell less cars, but more markup,). It really all depends. I have seen SEVERAL times where we have sold a vehicle at cost, if not below what we had in it. Sometimes we need to move units that have been there for a while. Honestly, if someone asks what we have in it, we tell em. No point in trying to be sneaky about it.
I don't expect anyone to tell me what they paid for the product they are selling. That said, I use the KBB for pricing and assume the dealer paid trade in value. I negotiate from there. I also take the condition descriptions seriously. If they don't have ALL the service records it's NOT in "retail excellant" condition. I could care less about all the fluids being changed and just steam cleaned the engine if there is no proof of previous maintenance. They need to get theirs, I need to get mine.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Definitely false. When I traded in my Silverado on my Tacoma, they gave me $15k on the trade. I drove by a couple weeks later, the sticker on my old truck was $16.5k, a couple months later it was $14.5k. They ended up putting it to auction, they couldn't resell it.

To the OP, I wouldn't tell someone what I paid for something as long as it's being sold for a fair price. I would probably still ask the dealer just to shake him up, but I wouldn't expect a response, or at least an honest response.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok so I paid 20k for my truck OTD in 2010, I almost got screwed at another dealer though on the same identical truck
2008 rugged trial with 35k miles
one dealer wanted 22,800 with my 2004 nissan altima trade in, they only wanted to give me 2500 for my trade in
the other dealer had the same truck with 38k miles and they came down to 20k because I told them I would offer cash that day, they agreed and I ended up selling my altima for 6500k
So in the end I did way better at the other dealer and it helped with me selling my car myself
Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You can ask but they will probably give you the run around . I hate when my clients ask what I pay for parts or a reciept of my cost .
Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy of mine is profiting 3-4k on cars he buys in dealer auctions.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=mattmxracer;4362418]When I bought my tacoma I haggled with the price for about an hour and the salesman basically told me I was getting it at cost. I asked him what they paid for the truck and he just beat around the bush. I realize its all a game and everything but why is it such a big deal if you ask what they paid for the vechile.
Dealiers, I don't think they know. With the cost of ads, rent, all the juice to the bank, sales persons they can't tell. Maybe at the and of a of year thay can figuer it out. Sell so many get a reburstment from Toyota?
What I do know is Toyota is good for a 2K-3K at year end, the dealer should do about 8-10%. That's the deals I have seen and recived.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
ok so I paid 20k for my truck OTD in 2010, I almost got screwed at another dealer though on the same identical truck
2008 rugged trial with 35k miles
one dealer wanted 22,800 with my 2004 nissan altima trade in, they only wanted to give me 2500 for my trade in
the other dealer had the same truck with 38k miles and they came down to 20k because I told them I would offer cash that day, they agreed and I ended up selling my altima for 6500k
So in the end I did way better at the other dealer and it helped with me selling my car myself
Did not know U got it used. Dealers make more off of used cars/trucks than new. Tacoma 30%
Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #11

its funny because I have seen some used tacomas go for more than new ones, its crazy!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
I think it just depends on here the dealership is. Some, in smaller cities are more expensive than others in bigger cities.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line, you need to do your homework before even going to the dealer. Their in it to make money, they can make more money off of a person if this person does not know the figures. Take your time and research everything.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have seen SEVERAL times where we have sold a vehicle at cost, if not below what we had in it. Sometimes we need to move units that have been there for a while. Honestly, if someone asks what we have in it, we tell em. No point in trying to be sneaky about it.
I can see this on new inventory but used inventory is a little different.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
Bottom line, you need to do your homework before even going to the dealer. Their in it to make money, they can make more money off of a person if this person does not know the figures. Take your time and research everything.
AGREED ON THIS, I averaged the trade in value, private party value and the dealer value and came up with my price on this
trade was 17500
private party was 22400
dealer was 2500

averaged to around 20k so I went within the means of 20 and 21k
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would probably still ask the dealer just to shake him up, but I wouldn't expect a response, or at least an honest response.
Nothing wrong with asking, they play games, you should too.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
I bought mine from an auto broker. He wouldn't tell me, but I think it was a consignment. Anyway, kind of halfway between a private party and dealer. I paid KBB value for private party "fair" condition. I would put the truck at "good" condition. I think I did well.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
chillman1971 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Ray
chillman1971's Tacoma Gallery
I was talking to dealers yesterday to trade in my 2010 trd off road with 20k on it for a 4Runner trail. They wanted to give me 21k for the truck and charge full sticker. Said thanks but no and left. They have call a couple times and are up 24k trade in and a 1k off. I still told them no. By what they are offering they have room in general on used vehicles.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
its funny because I have seen some used tacomas go for more than new ones, its crazy!
You may have seen used PRICED higher than new... That's part of the negotiation process.

I worked VERY BRIEFLY in between jobs selling Nissan's, back in 2002. It was a HELL of an eye opener. Everyone should sell cars for a while, the experience was INVALUABLE!