Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

HDTV Advice

Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
HDTV Advice

Alright, its that time... to buy an HD TV. Since there are SOOO many choices what do you guys reccomend. Im looking to stay in the 36'' to 42'' size. Plasma or LCD? 720 or 1080P? Any particular brands? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
i'd go with a lcd 1080p 42" if thats as big as you can go. plasma can be good if your tv is really large but make sure whatever you get is 1080p. i have a sharp aquos that i really like but brand isn't as important as the specs
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Im looking to spend the least as possible for a decent TV in those specs.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
???? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1207957070478
Old 11-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
looks good, sony makes good tvs for sure
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
if you can afford it go with the sony and then get the blu ray player
Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Its not me, its the parents.... Im just doing the research since its over their heads.. lol. Blueray is a maybe, if i end up getting a ps3 there is no need. Surround sound will be before a blueray
Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
How are the reliability of plasma? Ive heard shitty things about them.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do some research ... as in, the room at which you plan on putting it in, distance to the TV (sitting position to TV). There are 'minimum' viewing distances for optimum viewing and that might depend on the size.

And I mention size because...I'd get the biggest TV you can afford & use in the room you're purchasing this for.

My husband and I bought ours a year ago and our sole purpose was BIG screen & High def. The TV's are much cheaper now-a-days but because we wanted size, we ended up with a 55" Sony LCD rear projection. It's been an AWESOME size & quality and couldn't be happier with a BIG TV.

I think the LCD rear projections are the best bang for the buck. Now obviously, that depends on where you plan on putting it (or if you need to mount it on the wall..etc.). We'll be in the market for a TV in our bedroom soon, just not sure this year or next.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Sony and Samsung make the best LCD Plasma flat screens in my opinion of course. Mitsubishi makes the best DLP TV's. For gaming LCD is the best because of the faster refresh rate. DLP is good if you want a really big screen at an affordable price. Problem with DLP is the viewing angles arent as good as on Plasma and LCD TV's. Do not buy a brand you have never heard of because most likely its junk.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Dually, I've got a 42" Sony, 720, model KDF-E42A10. It's a rear projection with a flat screen. Probably can find something similar for around $700 this time of year. It's not the best out there but if it's your first HDTV it will be 100X better than what it replaces. Just something to think about if money is an issue. I put in a corner of my living room and it looks great.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
How are the reliability of plasma? Ive heard shitty things about them.
i have a 50" visio hd plasma and i have not had one problem at all with it ! me and the wife love watching football on this thing ! plus you can't beat the price. visio is made by sony...

HDTV Advice-picture-110.jpg
Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
also go 1080p just make sure you buy the right cables..
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Lcd

The lcd is better than plasma and samsung by far has the best picture even better than the sony xbr. make sure its got 120hz and you will be a happy camper.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Is the refresh rate that noticeable?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
its more so in the sony xbr but i tell you what im going to buy the ln52a650 by samsung ..look on cnet for a good review
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

LCD all the way. Plasmas are only good for so many hours and then they are gone. I worked with a lot of plasmas at my old job and yeah they are good, but LCD's have a better picture and last longer. Like the others say, get a 1080(P)progessive for sure and make sure it also supports 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i(interlaced). That way it will support and pick up anything. Remember, just because you have a HD tv does not mean everything will automatically "be" in Hi Def. You "have" to get HD programming. A lot of the newer HD tv's have special tuners in them that can pick up "off-air" HD that is being broadcasted from you local tv stations and its free of charge. All you need are some rabbit ears and a good spot for them! You are right on the blu-ray player, PS3 has a blue-ray built in and with prices on blue-rays, I dont see why anyone just wouldnt buy a PS3 instead! Oh and blue-ray players are worthless as well if you don't have an HD tv people. And this whole change over to "digital" is not HD! If you have dish or directv you are already watching in digital. If you are watching tv through rabbit ears, better buck up and get a satellite provider because that will all be gone here soon as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
slo2sixty is on a distinguished road

slo2sixty's Tacoma Gallery
i know abot all the rateings such as 1080p but what about the contrast ratio... ive seen 30,000:1 to 5,000:1 which is better higher or lower