Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Why is scanguage so much more?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Why is scanguage so much more?

Ultraguage has more display options that scanguage, and is less money, a bigger screen, so why is scanguage more money. Is there a hidden benefit im missing?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I have a scanguage.

To be honest, i think its because it can read more code,fix them, and you can create new modes to track time and distance. Also it spits the information out faster. Thats all i got. i use mine to show my voltage,mpg,water temp,and current mpg(short term) and the fill-up function is awesome at the pump as it computes the amount of gas you used within a .10 of a gallon. Pretty sweet little gadget.

Hope that helped
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
wlowe is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
wlowe's Tacoma Gallery
The main reason I went with the scanguage is the ability to monitor Transmission temps, which was just programmed in xguage a couple of months ago for later model tacos.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I have a scanguage.

To be honest, i think its because it can read more code,fix them, and you can create new modes to track time and distance. Also it spits the information out faster. Thats all i got. i use mine to show my voltage,mpg,water temp,and current mpg(short term) and the fill-up function is awesome at the pump as it computes the amount of gas you used within a .10 of a gallon. Pretty sweet little gadget.

Hope that helped
Ultra guage can "fix" all codes, and read them, and it refreshes just as fast as SG.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
UG is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my scangauge 7 years ago when it was the only kid on the block, I'd go UG now. I'm surprised scangauge can still charge that much more.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
wlowe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I bought my scangauge 7 years ago when it was the only kid on the block, I'd go UG now. I'm surprised scangauge can still charge that much more.

I agree that the Scanguage II retail price is high but Amazon has them on sale for $125 occasionally, thats where I got mine.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Probably because it has more name recognition. It was sold long before the UG came on the scene. I have an Aeroforce gauge.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ultra guage can "fix" all codes, and read them, and it refreshes just as fast as SG.
I thought the scangauge refreshed quicker (irrelevant because the UG still refreshes about every second it seems).

But, for all the extra $$$, you get to choose the background color (UG back ground colors can be switched if you're handy with LED's).
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have done a little research and could not really see much difference between ScanGauge and UltraGauge. I ordered the UltraGauge last night. I am excited like a kid before Christmas.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
You could also buy a ODBII bluetooth adapter and send the info to a smartphone.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
You could also buy a ODBII bluetooth adapter and send the info to a smartphone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo

for anybody interested in knowing about what Evil Monkey said was an alternative
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
forcefedjunkie is on a distinguished road
Name: Todd
forcefedjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is name confusion here. Both the Ultragauge and Scangauge are plastic rectangular devices. The Aeroforce Interceptor is often referred to as a scan gauge (because that's what it is) and this creates the confusion. The Aeroforce gauge updates over 20x second, which allows it to effectively monitor things like rpm, ignition advance, performance timing etc. The UG and SG update very slowly, like a couple times per second, and are only good for monitoring temperatures for this reason.

The reason why the Aeroforce gauge costs more is:

1. More expensive to manufacture - convenient standard round gauge vs awkward square/rectangle. Billet aluminum bezel options. This is a big difference, the Aeroforce probably costs 3x that of the UG in hardware and assembly costs but this pays off significantly in appearance once installed.

2. Numerous hardware options for customization vs one size fits all

3. More advanced communications - allows for significantly faster response as well as access to enhanced parameters such as transmission temperature and fuel injector pulse width and duty cycle.

4. Two analog inputs so that critical things like A/F ratio, oil pressure, or oil temp can be added and displayed. UG and SG do not have this option.

5. Record and playback options. I don't think either of the other two have this.

6. The Aeroforce has separate high intensity warning lights that can be set to monitor any OBD2 or analog input.

7. Aeroforce can accurately measure 0-60, 1/8, and 1/4 mile times since is it updating so quickly.

6. Aeroforce is made in the USA

It comes down to whether looks and functionality are important enough to pay a little extra. If you just want something inexpensive that gives you basic info save your money and get the UG or SG. If you're serious about performance or off-roading, or just want something that will look good go with the Aeroforce.

Todd
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
junglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Infantryman
Name: Bob
junglefighter25's Tacoma Gallery
Well I guess Todd is a bit biased. Great write up, dude.

I drive my Taco about 1200 miles a week, and I need to maximize my fuel economy. This is my reason for wanting to more closely monitoring my engine performance. 1/4 mile time, and other features do not concern me, I just need to know how far down that I need to put my foot to maintain the best mpg that I possibly can.
The Aeroforce has a lot of functions that I don't need, but I'm wondering if it can help me maintain maximum fuel mileage.
I'm planning on buying a Scan Gauge II, mainly because before reading this thread, I had no idea that there were other products on the market that had similar functionality, if not better.
What do you think would be better suited for me?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
redbeard32 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tice
redbeard32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie View Post
I think there is name confusion here. Both the Ultragauge and Scangauge are plastic rectangular devices. The Aeroforce Interceptor is often referred to as a scan gauge (because that's what it is) and this creates the confusion. The Aeroforce gauge updates over 20x second, which allows it to effectively monitor things like rpm, ignition advance, performance timing etc. The UG and SG update very slowly, like a couple times per second, and are only good for monitoring temperatures for this reason.

The reason why the Aeroforce gauge costs more is:

1. More expensive to manufacture - convenient standard round gauge vs awkward square/rectangle. Billet aluminum bezel options. This is a big difference, the Aeroforce probably costs 3x that of the UG in hardware and assembly costs but this pays off significantly in appearance once installed.

2. Numerous hardware options for customization vs one size fits all

3. More advanced communications - allows for significantly faster response as well as access to enhanced parameters such as transmission temperature and fuel injector pulse width and duty cycle.

4. Two analog inputs so that critical things like A/F ratio, oil pressure, or oil temp can be added and displayed. UG and SG do not have this option.

5. Record and playback options. I don't think either of the other two have this.

6. The Aeroforce has separate high intensity warning lights that can be set to monitor any OBD2 or analog input.

7. Aeroforce can accurately measure 0-60, 1/8, and 1/4 mile times since is it updating so quickly.

6. Aeroforce is made in the USA

It comes down to whether looks and functionality are important enough to pay a little extra. If you just want something inexpensive that gives you basic info save your money and get the UG or SG. If you're serious about performance or off-roading, or just want something that will look good go with the Aeroforce.

Todd
Will the Aeroforce monitor miles to empty on a 2011 tacoma V6? Do you have to purchase a separate kit to monitor this?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard32 View Post
Will the Aeroforce monitor miles to empty on a 2011 tacoma V6? Do you have to purchase a separate kit to monitor this?
Scangauge and Ultragauge "estimate" miles to empty. Not sure what Aeroforce does.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie View Post

Todd
I don't think there was any name confusion, no one was discussing your Aeroforce Interceptor.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I don't think there was any name confusion, no one was discussing your Aeroforce Interceptor.
ATRAC?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
lmcc007 is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
lmcc007's Tacoma Gallery
So the Ultragauge doesn't monitor transmission temperature? I'm just wondering because I just bought a camper trailer and I would like to monitor my trans temp (as well as fuel consumption). I would prefer to buy the Ultragauge over the Scangauge because of the price, but not having a trans temp gauge is a deal breaker.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
wlowe's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission temp, Scanguage yes, Ultraguage no. This is the main reason I went with the Scanguage. I do like the alerts on Ultraguage, Scanguage doesn't have them. Maybe I'll get the Ultraguage too.