1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

G.E.D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TRDsport253, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jan 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    25 years old with no high school diploma or GED. I'm working a dead end job at Staples Fulfillment center (Warehouse). I'm too old to go back to school and don't have the time to. Anyone else in my shoes? How did you go about getting your GED? Do I need to study hard before I take the test?

2. Jan 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    Ngotoma

Ngotoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your never too old to go back to school. I been going off and on for a long time now. Also community colleges are great since they are rather inexpensive to attend and offer a wide array of times to attend. It is just are you willing to commit a few hours a week to it, depending on what you wanna do. (Maybe your work will pay for some classes too)

You can search Amazon or ebay for a GED study book, usually they are not that hard or intense and simple to take. Now as to setting up and taking it, I think each state is different and can look up your states website or google it all together.

Good luck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    Hey thanks for the reply. I will check ebay and Amazon for the GED study book.

4. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    It takes some courage to admit what ya did. You are still young and got plenty of time to think bout college. First goal would be to get that G.E.D. Then think bout what you wanna do next. Think about what you like to do. Then make a choice.

Good luck to ya man.

5. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    coupe85k

coupe85k Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 AC and 2011 Camry SE
    True dual w/blended Super 40 Flowmaster exhaust, Harsh ride TSB.
    I took my GED in Louisiana about 10 years ago, to me it was about 8th grade level material. But that was Louisiana and 10 years ago so you will probably have a different experience. But yeah, I dropped out off school and went to a 3 nights a week night class for about 2 weeks, then took the test and passed. What motivated me was i wanted to join the Coast Guard. So i found a recruiter and he told me basically there was noway in hell i'd be select to join. I then wanted to prove him wrong. Been in for almost 10 years now.

6. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    If you truly have no desire to go back to school, you obviously have to develop profitable skills elsewhere. You can certainly learn through self-study (books, free classes, free military or government correspondence courses, etc), but, to prove those skills to a potential employer, you'll also need work experience.

One way to gain work experience is through volunteering. There's a long list of mainstream (non-controversial) non-profit groups and organizations willing to accept nearly anyone willing to freely help, in virtually every job category. Figure out what you want to do and then find a group seeking help in that particular area. Don't misrepresent your skills. Instead, go in with the intent of helping through learning and do exactly that - help and learn. Eventually, you'll have the job and personal references (from co-workers, superiors, etc), and the job skills, necessary to interest an employer.

As for the GED, don't be fooled into believing you can simply pass it without study. It's a high school level equivalency exam, meaning questions in math, science, history, and similar, relating to grades 1-12. Regardless, a GED will only to take you so far. You also still need skills an employer is willing to pay for. Thus, you really should consider everything in the previous paragraphs together.

-

7. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    Ohbrian

Ohbrian Taco Roja

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Eclipse head unit,scratched paint,ripped seat, black chaos 6 rims, Bilstein 5100's, top plate spacers, AAL, Midget antenna, Bakflip G2 cover, 14" Magnaflow, 400W inverter, LR UCA's
    Man you're never too old. The sooner you get this out of the way the sooner you can work towards a better life. Set you sights higher and aim for college, even if it's a community college there's nothing wrong with that. You have to sacrifice, and trust me when I tell you it's worth it in the end. You want a 6 figure income or you want to work at staples? Motivate yourself man you can do it!

8. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Never too late...do the research for your state/locality and then do it!

My brother in law dropped out sometime in HS (long time ago now). He got his GED and then pursued a nursing program in college. Today he's a Registered Nurse (or whatever the highest level of nursing is) and works for a big hospital in TX.

Go for it! And kudos for admitting your shortfall and being willing to do something about it.

9. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Hey man, check your local library for the study guides and/or online databases for test prep (I'm a librarian)...it is FREE! :D

Congrats on this consideration. You have my admiration for going for this.

10. Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    What do you want to do, career-wise? A GED won't do much to become a finish carpenter, vs being an apprentice. If you want to go into nursing, you need college which means you need a GED, I assume. A GED won't take you anywhere if you don't know where you want to go.

In my industry, they typically look for a 4 yr degree for rookies. However, at least half of the best guys I know have either no college, military training, or unfinished degrees. They were driven form within to excel and didn't need a school to teach them that. They knew what they wanted to do.

Google "what color is your parachute".

11. Jan 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I was about the same age when I got mine. I was in the Navy and they offered it for free. Much later, I went to college and got my degree. Graduated at 39 with a bachelors in computer science and a bachelors in business administration.

12. Jan 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Very cool story Robert. You should be proud.

13. Jan 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    You're only 25 and you're too old? SERIOUSLY? You have a choice-you can go through life miserable, or you can get AT LEAST your GED. You can do this at adult school-look online to find one in your area. Contact them, apply, enroll, and make a better life for yourself. If you really want this, you will find the time. I'm a helluva lot older than you, am married, work three jobs, and am working on a doctoral degree. Oh yeah, I'm slightly addicted to TW as well.

14. Jan 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    im 20, No G.E.D. but unfortunely im disabled. I used to work and go to school but cant... Ive been thinking about getting my G.E.D. just to know i can...

15. Jan 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    You can. As you are disabled, there is probably aid/assistance available through the government. Yes, you will have to fill out paperwork, etc. PM me with any questions, and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

16. Jan 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will take everything in consideration.

17. Jan 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    MaTt98

MaTt98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Medford Or.
    Vehicle:
    96 4Runner SR5 V6
    Runner SR5, xeon headlights, 6inch kc spotlights, cb in ashtray mod, roof rack, 2.5 inch lift in front with dodge 1500 coils in the rear and skyjacker shocks
    if you take the pre tests you will know what area's to study for and what areas you dont need to study for. all i did was go down to the community collage and then got set up there. if you put your mind to it and know a thing or to you can getr through it pretty easy, i got mine in 2 weeks and the only reason it took so long is because the tests were every couple days. be dedicated and achieve your goals!

18. Jan 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    I'm glad I came to TW for this advice. A lot of positivity and motivation. Thanks

19. Jan 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    MaTt98

MaTt98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Medford Or.
    Vehicle:
    96 4Runner SR5 V6
    Runner SR5, xeon headlights, 6inch kc spotlights, cb in ashtray mod, roof rack, 2.5 inch lift in front with dodge 1500 coils in the rear and skyjacker shocks
    and if its money your worried about it was only $100

Products Discussed in

To Top