Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

My dad burns painted wood (very bad). How do i create a pressurized home to vent air

Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Airwolf NSX is on a distinguished road

Airwolf NSX's Tacoma Gallery
My dad burns painted wood (very bad). How do i create a pressurized home to vent air

Not sure if this is making any sense but here goes:

My pal said, in order to create a positive displacement inside a car to push air out (let's say you're running test pipes and want to make sure the smell is kept out), he says to close your windows and turn your air inside.

Same concept or is it?

My dad burns painted wood and he drives me crazy. Highly toxic and he just doesn't get it. Stubborn he is and won't listen. Well, i'm tired of fighting him on this but I don't want my mom poisoned with the fumes. Is there a way to push the air out? I know if you open windows, the air comes in but that doens't do much.

I want to make sure that the fireplace smell is pushed into the fireplace as much so the smell won't occupy the house.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
He needs to stop asap. There has got to be a way to get him to quit. Maybe a firefighter on here will chime in with some tips on getting him to quit it! I would think the fumes of the burnt paint would be in the house regardless of what you do.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf NSX View Post
I want to make sure that the fireplace smell is pushed into the fireplace as much so the smell won't occupy the house.
No woodstove ?!

A woodstove wouldn't cure the problem 100% but a properly installed WS would probably draft better than a typical FP.

He's prolly burning this junk to save money. Throw down for a cord of seasoned firewood and take his "stash" to the dump.
That would be the immediate solution.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
A fireplace puts the house under negative pressure as it consumes air from inside the house as part of the combustion process , and it goes up the chimney .

Opening a window a crack will ensure that there is a steady supply of fresh air .

There are a couple issues here , if there is a temperature inversion outside , or you have a strong range hood or bath fans on , you can draw some of the smoke and toxic fumes back into the house .

Also , depending on what your chimney is made of , chemicals in paint , treated lumber , etc can eat the chimney liner .

Just stop .
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
A fireplace puts the house under negative pressure as it consumes air from inside the house as part of the combustion process , and it goes up the chimney .

Opening a window a crack will ensure that there is a steady supply of fresh air .

There are a couple issues here , if there is a temperature inversion outside , or you have a strong range hood or bath fans on , you can draw some of the smoke and toxic fumes back into the house .

Also , depending on what your chimney is made of , chemicals in paint , treated lumber , etc can eat the chimney liner .

Just stop .
Just what I was gonna say.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
learn something new everyday.

maybe show him this thread so he knows that it is very bad?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

thanks for the input everyone.

i've tried to change my dad and let him see but he's incredibly stubborn and if it isn't his way, it's the highway. If you don't like it, then leave.

My concern is for my mom and sister. I try to show him the truth in this but he doesn't care. I've tried and tried, but he gets pissed at me and yells at me. Mind you, he's 63.

Trying to teach him but as the saying goes, " you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i work for a environmental contractor and we remove asbestos and lead, (hazardous waste) on a daily basis. that is one of the fastest ways to expose yourself to lead poisoning.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/libr...ad/pyf_eng.pdf

^^^^^^^^

print that up and show him this.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Yeah, explains why other rooms in the house get cold when a fireplace is going in another room, it's sucking the air out from the rest of the house and sending it out thru the chimney. Only rooms fireplaces make warm is the room it's in.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf NSX View Post
thanks for the input everyone.

i've tried to change my dad and let him see but he's incredibly stubborn and if it isn't his way, it's the highway. If you don't like it, then leave.

My concern is for my mom and sister. I try to show him the truth in this but he doesn't care. I've tried and tried, but he gets pissed at me and yells at me. Mind you, he's 63.

Trying to teach him but as the saying goes, " you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
unless you beat that old dog with a whiffle bat
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Firefighter:
Also. Instead of just getting on his ass about it, have you given him a solution? Try buying him bundles of clean firewood so it's readily available for him to use and just as easy.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
you really need to put your foot down on this, especially for your sister and mom, also your dad because the health risks are too high for permanent damage, especially if your sister is planning on having children of her own someday.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Also. Instead of just getting on his ass about it, have you given him a solution? Try buying him bundles of clean firewood so it's readily available for him to use and just as easy.
OH yeah, tried this. he gets upset at me for spending money and buying something we can get for free.

UGH!

He has a contractor friend that does a lot of removal of wood from fascia/eaves on homes. Instead of disposing it, he has his friend bring it to our house.

I've been secretly throwing pieces of wood away but i can't keep up with the volume he delivers the rotted wood fascia/eaves..
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
see i think this may be a case where this is necessary.

"dad shut the hell up and listen to what i am telling you, this is how its going to be and you need to deal with it, if you love your mom and daughter you will want whats best for them right? well burning this is not good."

what we do for my grandparents every year is me and my family (like 5 of us) drive the 6 hour drive to their cabin and cut wood all day every day so they are fine through the winter. might be a good idea for you guys to do the same?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Old fascia and eaves huh...Probably has lead paint on it.

Don't have kids...for the love of God, please don't have kids.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
No woodstove ?!

A woodstove wouldn't cure the problem 100% but a properly installed WS would probably draft better than a typical FP.

He's prolly burning this junk to save money. Throw down for a cord of seasoned firewood and take his "stash" to the dump.
That would be the immediate solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
This! So what if he's mad...there will be a massive pile of good wood

oh...and wood stove FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
beat him with a whiffle bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
unless you beat that old dog with a whiffle bat

or this...
Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
<<<<>>>>
btuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
btuner's Tacoma Gallery
Wiffle bat, works every time... wait wut
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

Just stop .
/\/\ what he said