Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Credit Errors-How to dispute?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Credit Errors-How to dispute?

So my little sis has some credit issues that are not her fault. She tried talking to the local PD about how to proceed but was given the runaround. Apparently someone has stolen her social security number (not sure who but have an idea).

Someone used her SSN to open up a power (or maybe phone?) bill way back in 2001. The main issue is she was only 15 at that time and was unable to open an account in her own name. We think the number was acquired at the high school we went to and someone who worked in the front office (address on the account is in the neighborhood right across from the school).

Do we take this issue with the credit report people or should we take it up with the company directly? What documentation should we need? Any advice from TW'ers who have been in this situation would be much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I had a credit mistake on my report years ago and iirc I called equifax (the credit company that had the mistake listed) and they took care of it for me.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Thats not a credit report error, that's identity theft! I have nothing else to add, but to wish your sis good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Thats not a credit report error, that's identity theft! I have nothing else to add, but to wish your sis good luck!
Which is why she went to the local PD but they didnt help her with anything
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, unfortunately, i am an expert on this matter.
First thing you need to is fill out a police report, as this is a crime. Which i believe you did.
Freeze her credit immediately, so no other accounts can be opened with that SSN. This is really really importanat, it takes time, but is a necessary evil. This is free in most states when ID theft is involved. Put a perminant freeze on all three Credit Bureaus., for the next 5 years. This credit is releasable with a pin number that you provide to the Credit Bureaus when needed. I hired a lawyer when mine was stolen, because of the amount involved. Not necessary, but you have got be diligent with all the paper work that is involved. There will be a shit ton of paper work that you will have to fill out in triplicate, to get the Bureaus to reverse the bad credit. Which unfortunately does not always works. Once the FICA # takes a ding, it takes allot of time to recover the score. Keep very accurate records, because if they catch the bastards, its a federal case, so you really put the hammer down if they are caught.
I have tons of information on this subject, so if you have other questions let me know.

Been there done that.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I would start by contacting the company that has i listed on her report. tell them the situation. if it is a small bill offer to pay for it cash but make sure that it is going to be removed from her report, not just listed as payed. If that is unsuccesful contact the credit reporting agency that it shows reported too. i dont suggest experian because they only deal with disputed online or thru the mail. I feel like a situation like this should be dealt with over the phone atleast. plus online you only have a limited amount of charachters to type in why you are disputing a claim which makes it difficult to tell your side.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I would start by contacting the company that has i listed on her report. tell them the situation. if it is a small bill offer to pay for it cash but make sure that it is going to be removed from her report, not just listed as payed. If that is unsuccesful contact the credit reporting agency that it shows reported too. i dont suggest experian because they only deal with disputed online or thru the mail. I feel like a situation like this should be dealt with over the phone atleast. plus online you only have a limited amount of charachters to type in why you are disputing a claim which makes it difficult to tell your side.

No absolutely not, do not pay the fraud by any means, that is an admission of guilt on your part. They are insuranced for fraud, you can definitely call them and explain the issue, but do not offer up more information then needed. As the fraud may have come from that company alone. You do not know who stole your number at this point. If it goes into collections, call a lawyer that is your best bet if it has reached that point.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
No absolutely not, do not pay the fraud by any means, that is an admission of guilt on your part. They are insuranced for fraud, you can definitely call them and explain the issue, but do not offer up more information then needed. As the fraud may have come from that company alone. You do not know who stole your number at this point. If it goes into collections, call a lawyer that is your best bet if it has reached that point.
True but goodluck. ive dealt with creditors for the past 3 years and sometimes its better to pay and have it removed than dispute if you dont want to spend 15 years of your life in hell not getting approved for anything or having the claim thrown out. not saying its right but the credit system is so broken that its almost impossible to fight. My words of advice are pay cash for everything.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
I had these guys handle a few erroneous credit issues for me a while back. the president, Eddie Johansson, knows more about credit than anyone in the world imo. amazing guy.

http://www.creditsecuritygroup.com/pages/index.html
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #11

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True but goodluck. ive dealt with creditors for the past 3 years and sometimes its better to pay and have it removed than dispute if you dont want to spend 15 years of your life in hell not getting approved for anything or having the claim thrown out. not saying its right but the credit system is so broken that its almost impossible to fight. My words of advice are pay cash for everything.

Cash is king for sure, but this a SSN theft no fault of her own, this is not some simple credit card charge. I can agree with you if it is $50 or something, for sure that is quick and easy. He states that this account has been compromised since 2001, that's 11 years. I highly doubt that over 11 years they opened one single account. Agree?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, unfortunately, i am an expert on this matter.
First thing you need to is fill out a police report, as this is a crime. Which i believe you did.
Freeze her credit immediately, so no other accounts can be opened with that SSN. This is really really importanat, it takes time, but is a necessary evil. This is free in most states when ID theft is involved. Put a perminant freeze on all three Credit Bureaus., for the next 5 years. This credit is releasable with a pin number that you provide to the Credit Bureaus when needed. I hired a lawyer when mine was stolen, because of the amount involved. Not necessary, but you have got be diligent with all the paper work that is involved. There will be a shit ton of paper work that you will have to fill out in triplicate, to get the Bureaus to reverse the bad credit. Which unfortunately does not always works. Once the FICA # takes a ding, it takes allot of time to recover the score. Keep very accurate records, because if they catch the bastards, its a federal case, so you really put the hammer down if they are caught.
I have tons of information on this subject, so if you have other questions let me know.

Been there done that.
Did they catch the bastard?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #13

I agree thats why I said if its small. sounded like it was one maybe 2 bills. not wanting the OP to tell us how much or what but to make his decision based on that. It is definitely more of a hassle and probably more time and money than it would be to just pay the 50 to a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately the Creditors dont care about you they onlt care about money. I also suggest looking up applicable laws and quote them when talking to the companies. you will be astounded how many of them operate outside of the law.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I agree thats why I said if its small. sounded like it was one maybe 2 bills. not wanting the OP to tell us how much or what but to make his decision based on that. It is definitely more of a hassle and probably more time and money than it would be to just pay the 50 to a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately the Creditors dont care about you they onlt care about money. I also suggest looking up applicable laws and quote them when talking to the companies. you will be astounded how many of them operate outside of the law.
True but he said it was from 2001 so who knows how much the two small bill have accumulated? I dunno identity theft is just so screwed up, now days people no like work all they like do is scam innocent people
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #15

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Did they catch the bastard?
My Fraud took place in Nigeria, they have not been caught as far as i know, but the FBI were involved in my case, because they used the cash to buy cell phones. And all are guys in Afghanistan and Iraq know what cell phones are being used for over there. They bought some 500 phones, and the FBI believes they were sent to those regions. Fuckers stole my money to use against our own troops. Hence the reason i had a lawyer involved.
This happens on a daily basis in this country. My credit is locked down and will remain that way until the day i die.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #16

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Agree!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Senior NEWBIE

Quote:
My Fraud took place in Nigeria, they have not been caught as far as i know, but the FBI were involved in my case, because they used the cash to buy cell phones. And all are guys in Afghanistan and Iraq know what cell phones are being used for over there. They bought some 500 phones, and the FBI believes they were sent to those regions. Fuckers stole my money to use against our own troops. Hence the reason i had a lawyer involved.
This happens on a daily basis in this country. My credit is locked down and will remain that way until the day i die.
500 phones!? Wow your fraud must of been pretty substantial glad it's behind you
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #18

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
500 phones!? Wow your fraud must of been pretty substantial glad it's behind you

You and me both.
ID theft is no joke, it just makes me sick to my stomach when i see people get taken. Especially when the are innocent, and hard working citizens.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
Need police report. Identity theft.
Then call banks and credit card companies, whatever else she has and have account numbers changed. Most banks will help you if you have money in their pockets.
If cops won't do report ask the cops how to get a report filed for identity theft. Chances are she caught the cops on a bad day or shift change. My car got busted into and the cop didn't want to do the paper work so he told me that the little bit of stuff I had in there wasn't worth the time. I said it was and he had to do the report.
Often your elected representatives will have a list of things to do to get corrected. You can contact your senator/congressman and ask for help and advice.

Bottom line is be aggressive or be a victim.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry OP, I hope you get this resolved, and it is a simple matter.
I am just trying let you know that it can be really serious if the wrong guys get that number. especially if her credit is still really good.
Good luck.