Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

advise please

Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
advise please

well as some of you know i have been unemployed since april. i've gone out almost every day to find a job, but nothing. the economy really sucks and after december i will be in some financial trouble as well. so i now i'm considering joining the military. is this a good idea or bad? i'm thinking more of reserve type military just so i will have something until i'm able to get another job. plus i'm willing to stay in it until i retire. my wife isn't to happy with the idea...... i don't know any more ...... opinions and suggestions please !
Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Well first off make sure your wife is 100% with the choice you make. Now depending if you go reserve or fully active, just remeber you can't just walk away from it if you find a job.
Make sure you weigh everything out, chances are very good no matter what way you go you will be deployed, even if you do not go to a hot spot they will most likely move you, and your wife needs to be OK with that. Also if children are in the picture need to think about that also.
It is a tough life if you are happy and the other half is not. It is rewarding, and a person can go far if that is his choice. But please think of how all of it would impact your lady.
I know times are tough, with everything going on it really blows to see so many out of work or going to get their job's slashed. I wish I could tell you it would get better, hang in their, vent here or PM me if you have to.
Think and pray about it long and hard, keep your other half fully in the loop, talk until you are blue in the face (sort of speaking).
I will be thinking of you...................
Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
MAYBE the Coast Guard might be a good option for you...
thanks for the info guys. i'm totally aware of the longterm commitment....

why the coast guard ?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Well they tend to stay stateside more... No real chance of long term deployment to the sandbox... and you could pick up a great skill and get some great training too... Having been a Marine - I have respect for the Coasties... You could be a rescue swimmer, desk work, Environmental Protection, or even get into Vessel Boarding teams... That's pretty badass if you ask me... Imagine interdicting drug shipments or illegal immigrants!

I am tired of working for the Federal Gov... so I have been thinking of a career change myself - and it is an option for me still...

http://www.uscg.mil/top/careers.asp

There are some Coast Guard folks on here - recommend asking for more info!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
What are you trained to do? Your profile says aviation... Do you have any other skills?

i've worked in a shipping dept for 5+ years shipping dc-10 & 727 engines , alerons, flaps vanes, wheels , brakes, etc out for over hauling ..... for fedex
Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
With those skills have you thought of posting at other airports around the U.S. I know the one here in Indy just built a MASSIVE new airport. I worked on the tar mac for a number of years, some of the best fun I ever had.
Good luck to you..
Agreed. I know moving for a job isn't always the first (or even fifth) option, but sometimes you have to in order to keep working.

Just remember - the economy WILL rebound and you can always move back. Doesn't have to be permanent.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
With those skills have you thought of posting at other airports around the U.S. I know the one here in Indy just built a MASSIVE new airport. I worked on the tar mac for a number of years, some of the best fun I ever had.
Good luck to you..
i've applied at so many aviation places along the gulf coast it's not funny. I get we're not hiring now or oh we just hired someone........ i've been trying to get my old job back, but they are under a hiring freeze.....thats what i was told this morning
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
Banned
Munky is on a distinguished road
Navy: Active 2002 - present
Name: Beau
Munky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Munky Send a message via Yahoo to Munky
Just remember if you raise your right hand... as with every job there are ups and downs... Downs for me in the Navy are being away from family for weeks/months at a time... Ups are i have been to 12 or 13 different countries and had alot of fun overseas
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The reserve initial commitment is 8 years now. Army Guard deployments are 18 mos. with talk of it going to 12 but more rotations. Air Guard are less than that, not sure, but know there are members here who can tell ya. I retired from fulltime guard in 2007 after 25 years & saw lots of changes. Most folks are "traditional" meaning they "drill" (drill=training) mostly once a month with a longer period sometime during the calendar year..... BUT... The whole one weekend a month and two weeks a year motto no longer is part of the reservist marketing campaign. When I left it was 15 drills and three weeks a year for traditional soldiers, not including training meetings and special duty. It didn't matter to me because I was there everyday, but to someone with a family or self-employed, or small companies, it can stress them out. After your initial basic and advance, you are up for grabs and it's not always "together" anymore. I saw folks voluntary and involuntary get called up.

If you want to know what you'll make for a drill, here's a link...

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...ayCharts35.pdf

One weekend = 4 drills, it starts on page 8. The fulltime charts are there as well. Plus there are other benefits like bonuses once you complete your advance schooling.

Think about it, its a huge commitment, a family life change and cannot just be for the money. The Coast Guard is an excellent option (great suggestion USMC ) or research fulltime possibilities in the Guard/Reserve, they are always looking. Good luck with the job search.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about becoming a firefighter or a cop??
Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Have you thought about becoming a firefighter or a cop??

yeah i applied for the fire fighter thing but it just passed ... they only do it 2x a year..
Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered moving to New Orleans? It seems like there are a lot of job openings around here.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
after my 40% pay cut, since 2001 in the aviation industy
I would consider electrical, HVAC or something else
besides aviation.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Have you considered moving to New Orleans? It seems like there are a lot of job openings around here.
yes i have .... i will be there this weekend for the saints game actually ... i don't really know the area to well other than downtown and there is no way in hell i would want to live there ....
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah it does seem like New orleans they would be the place to be. Im considering making the coast guard my career; it wouldnt be bad as an option. they even have the coast guard reserve. that could also be an option. im just trying to help